Vic High Country explore Starting May 19th.

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Mark
Mark (Tennismark)
08 May 2018

I am planning a High Country trip around the 19th May for a week, at this stage. I have 5 or 6 days up my sleeve to travel as much or as little as I see fit  no real rush but don’t want to waste time either  

Probably looking to start around Omeo and want to camp up at Mt Pinabar for a night and then find tracks to wherever. 

If anyone wants to jump along, lead a day or two, join for a day or two or more, happy for you to jump aboard. Safety in numbers  

Im by no means an expert or ever lead a trip, so this will be a very casual experience . 

Plans are vague at moment ,see what tracks to do, see what huts to visit, see what views to see.

But if anyone wants to come during the weekend or week, the more the merrier...

let me know your thoughts  

cheers ....

Ray
Ray (Ray)
08 May 2018

You won't be camping at Mt Pinnibar in any shape or form. It's a wayside stop as a lookout and then you move on. 

You have a number of options if you go that way, such as on the Murray, the Davies Plains, or west around Wheelers Creek or Gibsons Hut, but not on Mt Pinnibar.

This trip of ours earlier this year covers most of the area: https://australianimage.com.au/the-high-country-feb-2018/ and an even earlier one: https://australianimage.com.au/the-high-country-nov-2017/

Mark
Mark (Tennismark)
08 May 2018

Ray (Ray) wrote:

You won't be camping at Mt Pinnibar in any shape or form. It's a wayside stop as a lookout and then you move on. 

You have a number of options if you go that way, such as on the Murray, the Davies Plains, or west around ......

Thanks for the info Ray. I have had one night camped up there amongst the trees. Was only 2 cars so stretcher bed and swag made for a close camp. Being solo, I’ll only need a small patch, but if not, happy to move on...

want to join? Who needs work? Couple days off, paradise...

Ray
Ray (Ray)
08 May 2018

Thanks for the info Ray. I have had one night camped up there amongst the trees. Was only 2 cars so stretcher bed and swag made for a close camp. Being solo, I’ll only need a small patch, but if not, happy to move on...

want to......

It's not a place I'd want to set up camp at this time of year.

Been that way too many times recently, so I'm trying to organise a trip for the end of the month closer to home, around Licola. 

Our most recent trip to the far east, as posted, was pretty ordinary as far as 4WDriving is concerned, so I'm looking for something more challenging over a four day trip. 

Not many on this site seem to be into long trips, so I don't post trips as I'd liked to do.

I would have joined up for a night but thats unfortunately the wrong side of the divide for me, if you're ever over Dargo way post it up!

Mark
Mark (Tennismark)
08 May 2018

I would have joined up for a night but thats unfortunately the wrong side of the divide for me, if you're ever over Dargo way post it up!

I’ll be making my way down that way during this trip no doubt. I’ll keep you posted. It it will be during the week.. ahhh who needs to work! 

Leppy (Mick Lepp)
08 May 2018

Just be aware. There are already seasonal track closures in place in the Alpine Regions. 

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
09 May 2018

Ray (Ray) wrote:

It's not a place I'd want to set up camp at this time of year.

Been that way too many times recently, so I'm trying to organise a trip for the end of the month closer to home, around Licola. 

Our most rece......

I agree there with you, most people like days trips and a "weekender" - but I been on a few.. back in 2016 I spent a whole 10 days or so up in Big Desert. With enough notice, some people might be able to join. I personally like long trips that include exploring, visitng huts and good camp fires not just hardcore wheeling.

Ray
Ray (Ray)
09 May 2018

I agree there with you, most people like days trips and a "weekender" - but I been on a few.. back in 2016 I spent a whole 10 days or so up in Big Desert. With enough notice, some people might be able to join. I personally like long t......

That's what our High Country Cruises that I usually organise are all about. Sometimes they can be tough and other times not, but it's the company, camping and finding new things that makes them so good.

Mark
Mark (Tennismark)
09 May 2018

I agree guys, not everyone can find 6 days in their schedules especially mid week. But for those who can, what a great time to get out and about. 

Now I just have to study my maps as to where to camp, whatbtracks to take and plan a route....

Ray
Ray (Ray)
09 May 2018

I agree guys, not everyone can find 6 days in their schedules especially mid week. But for those who can, what a great time to get out and about. 

Now I just have to study my maps as to where to camp, whatbtracks to take and plan a route....

These two stories might give you some ideas, they were both in the area that you're considering:

https://australianimage.com.au/the-high-country-nov-2017/

https://australianimage.com.au/the-high-country-feb-2018/