tablets for mapping

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next
Wayne
Wayne (shortlife)
28 Dec 2014

I'm looking to get a tablet for nothing more then live tracking with memory maps or mud maps. Can any one point me the in the right direction!
I have a pendo pad 10 but I don't think this will work and I'm not looking to spend big and am after android version

()
28 Dec 2014

I'm running the Hema maps (mud maps) on my iPad (so not Android), the iPad is cellular so has built on GPS and will work even outside cellular coverage areas.  Just a thought to consider.

Wayne
Wayne (shortlife)
28 Dec 2014

Thanks but I'm not looking to spend more then 200 300, iv just noticed that this pendo I have new dose have gps should this be ok

Scott
Scott (Stonekillerz)
28 Dec 2014

If you are after a better tablet i would get a galaxy tab if your after a better unit. You should be able to get one with cellular and gps for that price range

Tony (TATravels)
28 Dec 2014

I cannot help you but a chance to share my experience with. Hema maps on iPad. We have found that while a steep initial investment in getting the maps, we have no regrets. Included are all Hema maps across the country including the desert series we used on the most recent trip. Includes regular updates to the entire map series.you can instantly access any of the maps. They are big - 1.5 gb, and updates use a lot of data... But again the most up to date maps are on your device!

we love being able to know where we are whenever we travel - also can track a route, check speed, know GPS position etc. we mark POI and camp sites as we go. Have not used mud maps etc, but extremely pleased with our cjphoice... 

Sorry I cannot help you, but may be of interest to others.

Tony (TATravels)
28 Dec 2014

Message deleted by the author.

Wayne
Wayne (shortlife)
28 Dec 2014

After something cheap coz I'm ruff not because I'm cheap as for maps I get them all free

Simon
Simon (1TUFFGU)
29 Dec 2014

I picked up a 64 gig 3G GPS ipad for $250. Is like new, and can't fault it using Mud map 2.

Jeff
Jeff (Fat-arse)
29 Dec 2014

Currently im using a Hema maps downloaded from Hema $99 & my gps signal is achieved by using a device called a Bad Elf (eBay) $100 

all works well , better than a standard screen that comes with Hema maps as you can do much more with it.  Just make sure the tablet you buy is compatible to the Bad Elf .

while the bad elf can sit attached to your tablet and run live , you can also charge the tablet through the bad elf via usb cable.

cheers Jeff.

Sorry mate, I can't help with the Android advice either.   But despite being a windows guy for years, I love my iPad.   I run Mud Maps and Hema for different purposes as well as Marine nav and flying Apps and none of them have let me down. Get one with a built in GPS and you don't have to worry about any add ons.   I've got an iPad 2 which is a few years old but I can still get good battery life out of it and plugged into the cig by lighter it goes forever. 

Wayne
Wayne (shortlife)
30 Dec 2014

Thanks guys iv brought a Samsung Galaxy tab 4 for the job, now ill hit my boss up for the maps tomorrow. So far mud maps is at the top of my list

Jase
Jase (Jase69er)
03 Jan 2015

I run an IPad with both Hema 4wd & Hema Explorer apps, both outstanding apps once you are familiar with all the functions. I also carry paper maps incase I drop my iPad or an alien race decides to take over the earth and destroys our GPS satellites.

Davide
Davide (dadomago)
06 Jan 2015

I start by saying that I hate Samsung in general. But I got a Samsung tablet last year for Christmas, and I use it just as a 4wd map, and for this purpose it's ok.
I guess that if you want a tablet just for the same purpose, any tablet is fine.
For what concerns the maps and GPS system, I suggest to download from Google play "Oruxmap donate".
You can choose hundreds of different types of maps (I use top4maps cause gives you the contour lines and there are 4wd tracks marked (sometimes not even shown on standard paper maps).
Moreover it allows you to save map areas for offline use. I saved the areas of Wombat, Toolangi, Bunyip as sometimes you can't get signal, and it's better to download the maps once at home using your wireless.
in addition it allows you to record the tracks and to input waypoints.
there are many other features that I do not usually use.
It's a great app that I suggest to anyone wants to use for 4wd or cycling or tracking.

David
David (Golddigger)
07 Jan 2015

I have a question someone here will probly be able to help answer. I have an ipad but it's not 3g will Hema maps still work or am I better to upgrade? 

Simon
Simon (1TUFFGU)
08 Jan 2015

Yes you will need to get an iPad that has 3G/GPS. You dont need to have a sim, it's just that the 3G and the GPS are the same chipset.

1 2   Next