4wd Tracks and Destination ratings and planning

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next
Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
12 Mar 2018

Gday all. 

This falls into 2 sections 1) General Discussions and 2 ) Improvement / Enhancement to the current site. Hopefully this could be incorporated or at least point me into a area that may help. 

Ive been looking at planning day trips overnighters ect but being fairly new to 4wding and not having travelled a lot of tracks i dont know what they are graded eg circle square diamond / double diamond etc and while i know these can change during  the season and weather conditions it would be good to have a guage as to the difficulty of the intended track. 

reading through the 4wd track and destinations section it would be good to see this rating system put in place as a guide to those researching tracks to travel etc . Some of the tracks listed have a comment on the condtion : eg clay based and tricky in the wet. which is good to know and while i understand this would also require members to actively update the condition if they travel on them but in turn it would assist everyone here to have up to date information. 

Ive been looking through 4wd vic website, DELWP, local shires , Mapshare maps  and while they all talk about a national track rating system no where actually lists what each track is or how to find this info. 

How do people plan trips with out prior knowledge of the area or tracks?.  I know you can go down the route of point n shoot, turn around if it gets too hard BUT this also takes time and can be frustrating for people undertaking the trip. 

Look forward to seeing how everyone undertakes leading and learnings they have come by past and present! thanks for helping! 

Regards 

Nick. 

Chris (NPSdude)
13 Mar 2018

hi Nick, a consistent rating through out the continent would be surely a good thing.

I did the VIC highlands over last christmas newyear, and used the Hema paper map which showed nearly every available dirt track with a rating E easy M medium and D dangerous. They were pretty reliable, I could handle some 'medium' but stayed clear of 'dangerous', just by the look of the steepness and gravel. 

That was the first time I got in contact with ratings. I used the pocket earth app on an old ipad for navigation.

cheers, Chris

Brad
Brad (B-rad 150)
13 Mar 2018

Hema maps have the track classifications based on the criteria at https://4wdvictoria.org.au/index.php/resources/track-classifications

E - Easy

M - Medium

D - Difficult

DD - Very Difficult

You can see these at https://cloud.hemaexplorer.com/map/

I use the Hema Explorer app fairly exclusivly when planning and found the classifications to be fairly representative, probably a bit conservative.

I usually explore solo, so not looking to get into too much trouble, and prepared to turn around if going get tough.  If i was planning a trip for others to be involved in I would want to be pretty sure of the track difficulty by having travelled it prior, but still aware that conditions can change and getting through is not always guaranteed.

Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
13 Mar 2018

Hema maps have the track classifications based on the criteria at https://4wdvictoria.org.au/index.php/resources/track-classifications

E - Easy

M - Medium

D - Difficult

DD - Very Difficult

<......

Thanks, Ive got the Hema App on my Samsung tablet but dont have those ratings must be a setting i need to "tick", will investigate further! 

Brad
Brad (generdawg)
13 Mar 2018

Hi Nick

A couple of things here;

1) Sometimes a phone call to authorities should give an indication of suitability.  On a trip to Vic High Country, we found a roadblock posted for a route I wished to take (see photo).  Fortunately, an alternative was available. 

2) With a couple years experience, I now am able to tackle challenges I wouldn't have dreamed or thought possible previously, so the makeup of the group and their vehicle capability has a bearing on the track rating and whether it's doable.

You asked for feedback related to site ehancement; well I'm not sure how to fix this, but will have a whinge anyway.  The application and patronage seem to be conservatively ninety percent Victorian based - just look at the trip listings to verify my assertion.  Not your problem I know, but wish there were more interest outside of Victoria.

Cheerz

Another Brad

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
13 Mar 2018

Hi Nick,

I was in the same boat as you and found planning my first trip daunting - but there are a few places to look

HEMA as mentioned above - however I would not rely soley on it, some tracks might be classified Easy and they might not be as easy as you'd imagine.

YOUTUBE - sometimes it's worth sticking a track name on youtube search and see what comes up, I usually try to find the latest video available to get the "latest" track conditions, youtube is very helpful

FACEBOOK - there are a few groups dedicated for tracks on facebook and lots of people are willing to share their knowledge. One of them is aussie 4wd tracks, they have for VIC, SA, NSW and other states. Pop a question in there and usually people reply rather quickly - I used it a few times. Also join "local" groups, for example if you are planning a trip up Wombat SF / Mt Disappointment etc look up on FB if there are any groups for that area - lots of helpful information shared on these groups

PAPER MAPS - Paper maps sometimes they have more details than online maps, they list certain details such as "steep hill" or "deep ford" etc on the map - something that the online hema does not provide

In the end, you will never really know until you are there. I did a winter trip in the Wombat SF and all tracks were muddy and mushy, gave us a couple challanges. Drove some of those tracks back in Jan on my latest trip and all tracks were bone dry with loads of traction and absolutely no dramas. Tracks can be a bit unpredictable. 

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
13 Mar 2018

Also, when I plan exploring tracks that are unknown to me I always put a disclaimer TRACKS CHANGE, DAMAGE MAY OCCUR, and we may turn around if required - so do not be disappointed. That way people joining should be prepared for this and not get annoyed or frustrated

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
13 Mar 2018

Nick, as well as using the Hema app  if you have it, the 4wdvic track classification is a good guide to use. Many will say it is very conservative but remember tracks are classified with a COMPLETELY STANDARD vehicle in mind. When you ask fellow 4wders, you will get completely contrasting views most of the time as what maybe rated as a difficult track by 4wdVic etc, will have some saying it is 'easy'. Then have a look at their vehicle; generally running 33-35's, twin locked etc etc. Yes, it might be easy for them but most never consider how a 'standard' vehicle, possibly a inexperienced driver, will go. Also, as others have said, conditions can change for what might be a easy/medium track in the dry can become extreme when wet.

For what it is worth, any trip I run that requires more than 70% of 'low range' driving I rate as 'medium' at least. I also suggest when you run a trip it is a good idea to have minimum vehicle requirements, especially when it comes to tyre size/type plus in my opinion basic recovery gear, (snatch strap/shackles etc), should be MANDATORY/REQUIRED, not just recommended.

Am sure you will get some some more suggestions/advice from other forum members.

Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
13 Mar 2018

Hi Nick

A couple of things here;

1) Sometimes a phone call to authorities should give an indication of suitability.  On a trip to Vic High Country, we found a roadblock posted for a route I wished to take......

Thanks for the Feedback Brad. It’s good to draw from the pool of knowledge this site has to offer and since I’m at the beginning of the touring / 4wd scene (3 yrs exp) I’m still finding my feet in the leadership area more exp and exposure will no doubt assist!. I agree more exposure around AUS for interstate trips would be great and with time and promotion of the site should see this happen (hopefully).

Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
13 Mar 2018

Nick, as well as using the Hema app  if you have it, the 4wdvic track classification is a good guide to use. Many will say it is very conservative but remember tracks are classified with a COMPLETELY STANDARD vehicle in mind. When you ask ......

Thanks Allan, Thanks for the Tips!!! this is what makes this forum/site so good everyone has a little piece to give and in some instances you stop and think wow thats a great point i would never of thought of that! .... Thanks again!. 

Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
13 Mar 2018

Hi Nick,

I was in the same boat as you and found planning my first trip daunting - but there are a few places to look

HEMA as mentioned above - however I would not rely soley on it, some tracks might be classified Easy and......

Cheers Thurstain!,

I agree never rely on one source of info. Parks vic , DELWP , shires and Hema have been my go to for track info conditions etc. Good to know about Facebook (would never of thought to look for this one). I must admit i do check out the tracks on youtube when i sign up for a trip just to check out what i could be going through but as the constant reminder has been is what one person goes through may not and most likely wont be the same when you travel through. 

Thanks again! 

Leppy (Mick Lepp)
13 Mar 2018

E - Easy

M - Medium

D - Difficult

DD - Very Difficult

<......

The problem with people rating tracks is each persons interpretation of hard. The above map shows D-Difficult, when it fact it would only require 2wd unless it was flogging rain, then you may require 4WD. Best bet is use common sense. Most main tracks in the high country are not difficult. They are after all access tracks for fire fighting. 

()
13 Mar 2018

Alot of the popular tracks are regulary maintained now days with so much tourist  traffic than there used to be, if the classification was done years ago they well could have been  harder. 

Brad
Brad (B-rad 150)
13 Mar 2018

To be classified as a difficult track it only has to have frequently steep sections. What does steep mean?

Ask my mrs and she reckons everything’s a DD

()
13 Mar 2018

To be classified as a difficult track it only has to have frequently steep sections. What does steep mean?

Ask my mrs and she reckons everything’s a DD

When your cappicino starts too spill. lol

1 2   Next