3.0L GU - Who owns one?

Forum > General Discussion
Previous   1 2 3 4
Ray
Ray (Ray)
15 Feb 2018

() wrote:

I'm a Toyota driver and couldn't give a rats arse about the early problems with the 3ltr, or what bloody make anyone drives. It's about personal choice and the enjoyment of getting out there ,even if you drive a Lada.

There are indeed Toyota owners that don't malign the ZD30, I travel with such owners quite frequently, this weekend being one of those times. I used to own a Suzuki and have been off-road many times with Lada owners (the Lada is a surprisingly capable 4WD).

Actually, the one's that are most likely to malign the ZD30 tend to be Patrol 4.2lt diesel owners. I've often noted the 4.2lt as being a single-speed variable-noise vehicle designed to turn diesel into smoke. See, I'm not biased. :)

Hi, I've had a GU zd30 2004 since new. I became aware of the problem with that motor about 6 years ago. Researched it carefully via the patrol forum. Did the NADS mods (Nissan anti detonation system). This involved installing a catch can, blocking the EGR at top and bottom of the passage, a bigger intercooler from HPD, and a 3 inch exhaust. Blocking EGR is OK, but can lead to boost issues. So installed a needle valve and daws valve to limit and also control boost. Also installed WHAT temp gauge, and boost gauge. These will change your driving habits, especially the EGT gauge. Since doing the mods, it's run well. Did it at 90k, it's now done 205k. Oil never gets dirty and the manifold stays clean.

I'm getting 13 ltrs per 100k, but I've got roof rack, bull bar, side steps and rails, and I run 285/16 tyres (33s I think). I get between 15 and 18 ltrs per 100k towing my camper with the truck fully loaded as well.

If you get one, I'd be looking for one that's got low KMs for its age, preferably no earlier that 2004. That's because the earlier models pre series 3 had a higher chance of blowing cylinders 3 and 4. Ideally, it would be better to get one with the NADS done.

Alternately, go for the 4.2. there are quite a few for sale, but expensive especially with low KMs.

The next rig I'm getting will be either a 79 series Landy or an Isuzu DMax. But for now, the Patrol is running well, and there are quite a few trips left in her. This year's it's Birdsville and then on to Cape York.

If you need to know more, then message me. Happy to help out.

Cheers David M

Mauro
Mauro (Rat_Patrol)
15 Feb 2018

Well I have a 2002 model ZD30.  Yes the grenade model!!

Ive had the NADS modificatins done and fitted the guages as recommended.  I have a 2" lift, 33" ATs, winch but no lockers (actually just had a front locker fitted today so I haven't used it yet.  Can't wait!)

Its been bullet proof!

I'm in a 4WD club and go out at least twice a month.  I often do the more difficult, technical tracks like Mt Airly, Pipeline, Commando etc.

The Patrol is an extremely capable vehicle. You won't find better. The 80 series you're thinking of is also similarly capable as you probably already know.

Just got back from Mount Canobolas where we had 15 cars of various makes, many quite new vehicles with all the latest smarts.  On one particular hill where nearly everyone needed winching I was the last car to go up.  They all said I wouldn't get up because I didn't have any lockers.  Well they were wrong.  Drove straight up no problem.  Obviously a fair bit is down to driver experience and I had the advantage that I had watched several cars try to get up and seen where they had issues.

The ZD30 engine is a little underpowered as mentioned but I find it adequate and haven't felt the need to sqeeze more out of it. My Patrol is not my daily drive so I don't have to push it around in Sydney traffic.

One of the great things about the Patrol is that anything you can dream of doing to it has already been done millions of times and parts and accessories are readily available.

I've had a lot of touring type mods done like rear drawers, roof rack etc etc so my weight would be pretty well up there.  I should really go to a weighbridge and check.  I wouldn't be surprised if I am at my GVM limit.

I monitor fuel consumption pretty closely and am running at 12.75L/100km based on a mix of highway & offroad driving.  I've had as high as 30L/100 in sand.  I never tow anything so I don't have any numbers for that.

All I can say is that I'm extremely happy with my Patrol and I would recommend them to anyone.

At the end of the day there are a whole lot of things to consider when making your choice but if you decide on a Patrol I know you won't be disappointed.

Good luck

Mauro
Mauro (Rat_Patrol)
15 Feb 2018

Ray (Ray) wrote:

There are indeed Toyota owners that don't malign the ZD30, I travel with such owners quite frequently, this weekend being one of those times. I used to own a Suzuki and have been off-road many times with Lada owners (the Lada is a surprisin......

"I've often noted the 4.2lt as being a single-speed variable-noise vehicle designed to turn diesel into smoke."

I love it.

Hope you don't mind but I'm gunna steal that!

I have a ZD30 and I reckon you're right.  Its the 4.2lt drivers that give it to the ZD30 the most.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
15 Feb 2018

Thurstain has mentioned previously that he would like to get into some of the 'extreme' type of 4wding that some do on this site; Alcorns, Ellis, Phone etc etc.  Why not keep his Navara as he admits he has spent heaps on it and as we all know, we never get close to getting the $$$ spent when we sell. If I was him, look for a 'bush pig', whether it be a GQ or a 80. There are still a few reasonable ones around, and as others have said, cheap to modify and if you damage it, which you will do...laugh, it is no big deal. Keep the Navara for your touring type/easier 4wd trips; best of both worlds.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
16 Feb 2018

Jeez this thread blew up worse than a Granade lol. Thank you all for the input. My intention is to keep the Navara still as it's perfect setup for camping and touring, but depends what I endup buying in the end and if I can afford 2 4wd's and a daily car... But knowing myself I can't just get a "Bush rig" thats about to fall apart and keep it as it is, I know I will modify and sink money into it, so I need to have a solid platform at least.. I looked at the cheaper alertnatives, petrol ones, found locked and lifted GQ's for $7k with RWC and everything but the TB42 kills it.. too much petrol to go anywhere and I will endup sinking money and getting rid of it sooner than later and will be the Navara scenario allover again.

Currently I'm still keeping my options open with a GU, GQ and 80 series (or similar) - as long as I find a good rig that I like. Mostly just wanted feedback whether or not I should bother with the 3 Lite GU, but from what you guys said it's definately a good contender and I should look into it further.

I did look into Jeeps (as someone on here suggested) to be honest but they are a bit out of my budget unless I get a shorty, which is not an option for me as I need the space.

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
16 Feb 2018

Ray (Ray) wrote:

My comment about ownership was to show that I do have a long association with Patrols; I wanted to be completely open about that. But the truth of the matter is that Toyota owners tend to emphasise the early ZD30 engine issues as an ongoing pro......

I agree Ray. Glad we were able to come to an understanding

Shayne (Im2xtreem)
16 Feb 2018

I regards to upgrades.  We did have a DP chip in the tracking cam vehicle for a while which gave the engine quicker response and more torque.  However that was one of the reasons (we think anyway) that may have caused the electric ove......

Mate, that would be scary! I have had the DP chip with no issues and got it because I saw the change in my mates GU at the time. I know when I got mine, the fitter spent some time tuning the chip and checking and re-adjusting and re-checking.....I wonder if maybe your chip didn't get this necessary tune prior to your driving it away? I would return to the place of purchase and have them check the tuning for you. If it was a second hand or online purchase, you should take the truck to a DP chip installer and have them check it for you. The gains we got where significant and with no ill effects at all?

CHEERS

Shayne

Dave (Little-Foot)
21 Feb 2018

Thanks for all the feedback guys, actually more positive comments than I imagined. Honestly I was looking at 2000 to 2003 models as they are more on my price range atm, especially after building up the Navara and spending all my money on it.. But loo......

Hi Guys. Just my two bobs worth. I'm an Ex-mechanic of 15yr in the trade, I worked on all sorts of vehicles and FourBies. I'm a Nissan fan from way back because I couldn't afford a Toyota. Now I'm semi-retired I started looking for my next project need a good GQ. Hours of searching and couldn't find a GQ 4.2 TD with low Ks and in good nick at the price I can afford. But they are heavy on fuel and is good as a Toyota, hats my opinion. So I made a decision and changed all my thoughts and bought an Isuzu 2015 D-Max.The 3,0 DT is a proven Diesel engine.  I have done a heap of Mods from top to bottom with 33" tyres It's a beast. Extremely Happy with this little Truck. I two a UEV490 camper, With all that said I had a ECU read out, It had done 32827 KS 10.95 pr 100Ks. We have been off road alot in the Flinders the total GCVM 4930Kg, So with a fuel read of 10.95 over 32827 KS I'm happy with that. UEV490 1800 the last time we used it Loaded 1930Ks Inc. H2O, D-Max 3000Ks.We are heading off soon to the Cape and reweigh it every time we go off on trip. I start with the Ball weight the take it to the weigh starion and get a print out for the cops..

Dave & Sharon

and Littel Foot ( D-Max )

Previous   1 2 3 4