Beginner Trip To The Vic High Country

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience

Christopher (my son) and i arrived at Talbotville on the Thursday and set up camp, got the chainsaw out collected and cut some wood for the weekend. I sent a message to the rest of the group indicating to leave 30min earler because of the roadworks along Princes Hwy. I went into Dargo Pub to pick the guys up as I arrived I noticed that Gareth (mt goat) was having lunch in the pup, Robbie and Stella then arrived. We headed up to McMillians Trak heading to camp.

We took McMillians past Grant and then climbed the short Collingwood Spur trak, arrived at the McMillians and Bulltown Spur intersection. We then went down Bulltown Spur Track that was actually in very good condition. Reached the Crooked River Trak, hit the 20+ crossings, The first river crossing exit has that  rock step out which held us up a little, but with a bit of track building we were all able to proceed the rest of the crossings into camp at Talbotville. The weather was cloudy and didnt look like it was going to clear up for the views on Blue Rag.

Robbie and Stella and Gareth then set up thier camp. While they were doing that, my Photographer Garry (Gazza) arrived because as a lot of you know I dont do alot of photos on trips. Lit the camp fire and settled in for the night, the sky had cleared I was hopeful then for clear sky for the Saturday.

We woke up Saturday morning to a beautiful clear sky which i was very happy about for the group for the trip to Blue Rag. Christopher and Gazza decided to spend the day in camp, Gareth, Robbie and Stella and I set of to Blue Rag via Brewery Creek Rd, Got to the Blue Rag Trig Trk around 10:30, The Track to the top was chewd up and loose rocks up most of Blue Rag, we caught up to a 6 car tour group that made the progress a bit slow so arrived at the Trig around 11:30 the views were fantastic, not a cloud in the sky,

Had some lunch waited about 20min after the tour group left before we set down the track, we got to the Gate and I asked what the group would like todo, we could head back the way we came or continue down Blue Rag to the Dargo High Plains Rd. The decision was made to go Via High Plains Rd to check out the Grant Cemetery as i told the group about the Ghost resides at Grant. 

Walked around the cemetery and then proceeded to the Grant townsite before returning to camp. Well night time fell a fire a few beers you all know the drill. Someone suggested we head up McMillians to the Grant cemetery at about 10:30pm Gareth volunteered to take us in the Wrangler as he had only one can. So I showed the guys where the ghost appeared and walked through.

we headed back to camp and stopped at the Talbotville Cemetery had a look around then left, jumped back into the Wrangler, Gareth then noticed a stick moving behind the Concrete and rock Talbotville sign. Gazza had decided to have a bit of fun and was behind the wall. Got back to camp around 11:30 and hit the sleeping bags.

Woke up Sunday packed up camp and headed out Via Wonnangatta Rd, We got to Kingwell Bridge and went to have a look at Billy Goat trak, Robbie to the lead to Billy Goats entrance, Gazza took Gareth, Robbie and Stella up to the Helipad while Christopher and I stayed at the base and had lunch. They returned and we then continued back to the bridge and head out via Wonnagatta Rd, said our good byes and I am sure they all enjoyed the weekend. It was a pleasure to meet them all. 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
14 Feb 2018

Nice report 'Big Kev', looked like you all had a great time.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
15 Feb 2018

Good value Big K gotta watch out for those ghosts......

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
15 Feb 2018

Thanks for the report. Great part of the country

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
21 Feb 2018

Excellent report! Sounds like a fun trip. 

Can't wait to get my navara done with maintenance and repairs and get back on the tracks!!

Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
23 Feb 2018

GREAT trip report, Sounds like an awesome trip. Bummed we couldnt join. But truck is waiting on rock sliders.....have to keep an eye out for the next one!!!