High Country trip, Warburton to Dargo Australia day weekend

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Maarten
Maarten (DUTCHD)
10 Jan 2018

Just putting feelers out... I'd like to do a trip over Australia day weekend, move through the high country. A medium difficulty trip starting in big river, up to Jamieson, then deeper into the high country, pop out at Dargo or possibly even a loop if time allows. I've done a few trips around the high country, but don't quite ha enough the knowledge of the different tracks and their difficulty. So open to suggestions.

Brief idea:

Friday: Warburton, through big river, Mt terrible, subject to numbers stay away from big camps as they'll be busy and stay somewhere near Jamieson.

Saturday: Jamieson area, Mitchells track to Sheepyard, brocks rd, bluff link , bluff hut, king billy, maybe Zeka spur subject to time.

Sunday (Zeka) wonnangatta, Goat bluff tk, Moroka Rd. 

Monday: Possibly Caledonia or butcher country. Then home from Licola. 

Its a rough idea, happy to take suggestions. Plans will need to be revised should there be extreme fire danger. The pace will depend on car and drivers, no rush, just a good camping touring trip 

Australia day weekend is busy up there and i would keep an eye out of the weather, if any day is over 32c i wouldn't go. That is my thoughts only

Ray
Ray (Ray)
10 Jan 2018

You'll be absolutely pushing things to do that in three days (two nights), especially depending on where exactly you intend to start and if you want to maximise low range driving. In that country, in low range, calculate travel times at around 10km/hour, at best. 

It's going to be busy, so that may slow things down as well and campsites will be at a premium, especially if it's hot, as every river spot will be taken. The greater the numbers, the more difficult it will be to get a campsite.

I've been travelling the HIgh Country for over 40 years, so if you're unsure of where you're going and the areas involved, you will most likely seriously underestimate the difficulty and travel times. The best laid plans are often thrown in the bin the moment you hit the tracks.