Tassie Trip over the break

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
4x4mate
4x4mate (maltalian0)
20 Dec 2017

Over the Christmas break me and the misses will be taking the car over to Tassie. The dates will be from 24th - 4th. 

Will be spending a couple days with her family in Smithton and then doing some exploring. 

We are thinking of hitting Cradle mountain, going through Launceston and then hugging the east coast down to Hobart. 

I will be doing some easy tracks considering it will be only 1 car.

Some places on the list not in any particular order. 

Mount Wellington 
Port author wine glass bay
Bruny Island
Adventure bay
Mona ferry
freycinet
Wine Glass Bay

I would like to see if there are any locals around that would be keen for a couple tag along trips along the way. Ideally, I would like to increase the difficulty to Medium to Hard with a small group. 

Also looking to get some ideas on areas to explore for anyone that has been there.

Do I have too much on the list for about 8-9 days? 

Thanks in advanced. 

Cheers,

Kyle Dennis
Kyle Dennis (Hoppy)
20 Dec 2017

You will be rushed, it takes alot longer to drive arouns tassie than most people think haha. Eg. Launceston to Graville Harbour (west coast) is only 240ks but takes 5-6hrs if you are cruising.

Bridport to Bellingham is an absolute must see/do . Free camping and miles and miles of beaches and dunes to play in. Can do that one solo just keep low pressures 8-12psi.

And if you are thinking hard stuff with a group keep in mind down time for fixing stuff because tassie has a habit of breaking whats least expected haha.

Hi Nathan,

Keep me posted on your trip to Tassie as it is on my bucket list for next year, possibly around November. At least before any kids are let loose. I am undecided whether to take the car and camper over or fly and hire. The boat is expensive plus the drive from Brisbane to Melbourne and return. I would like 3 - 4 weeks in Tassie as never been there.

Anyway, have a good trip

John

Peter Nixon
Peter Nixon (Snapper)
20 Dec 2017

Hi There,

I'm lucky to enough to live here, we will be out on the west coast just touring and camping around until the 30th, I would probably give Bruny a miss at this time of year, queues at the ferry and lots of people could be a possibly be an issue, your other items are all a must do. if you want to we could probably guide you round or point you in the right direction on Sunday 31st,  a couple of local tracks (Jeffreys, White Timber and Pelverata Falls) pretty good day trip, not too hard and some nice scenery.

Regards,

Peter

4x4mate
4x4mate (maltalian0)
21 Dec 2017

You will be rushed, it takes alot longer to drive arouns tassie than most people think haha. Eg. Launceston to Graville Harbour (west coast) is only 240ks but takes 5-6hrs if you are cruising.

Bridport to Bellingham is an absolute mu......

Hey Kyle. 

Yeah, I thought it may be rushed. Maybe I will take a few things off, so I can stop and smell the roses or should I say smoke from the fire. lol 

Birdport to Bellingham does look decent, just seen a few youtube clips. 

Thanks for the tips and indication on travel times. 

Cheers,

4x4mate
4x4mate (maltalian0)
21 Dec 2017

Hi Nathan,

Keep me posted on your trip to Tassie as it is on my bucket list for next year, possibly around November. At least before any kids are let loose. I am undecided whether to take the car and camper over or fly and hire. The ......

Will do John, I will be sure to take plenty of photos and videos so you can see. 

4x4mate
4x4mate (maltalian0)
21 Dec 2017

Hi There,

I'm lucky to enough to live here, we will be out on the west coast just touring and camping around until the 30th, I would probably give Bruny a miss at this time of year, queues at the ferry and lots of people could be......

Hey Peter, 

Good point about Bruny. A meetup and point in the right direction sounds great. I will PM you and we can sort something out. 

Cheers,

Kyle Dennis
Kyle Dennis (Hoppy)
21 Dec 2017

Hey Kyle. 

Yeah, I thought it may be rushed. Maybe I will take a few things off, so I can stop and smell the roses or should I say smoke from the fire. lol 

Birdport to Bellingham does look decent, just seen......

It does depend on what roads you take.

A good short trip would be more east coast.
Off the boat, head east, do Bellingham through to Bridport and camp one night out there, have fish and chips at the little blue shop next to coles/iga. Then go through to scotsdale, through walbrough pass to derby then keep going to st helens (another good free camp is just north of st helens at Humbug Point). I'd also go down to coles bay (the road is fantastic and on a clear day when the mountains come into sight is breath taking.
Then you have all the nice places on the way down, wineglass, bay of fires, heaps of walking tracks, pyengana jeep track (easy in the dry but very very hard in the wet), keep heading south and go see port arthur, come up into hobart and definitely see Mona.

A few good tracks down south im sure you could get help with if y ou had time or just make your way up to poatina and the great lakes through the west coast.

All those roads are good and reasonably quick to get from A-B other than the passes.

The west coast and tracks are alot more time consuming and a different world to the east haha.

4x4mate
4x4mate (maltalian0)
25 Dec 2017

It does depend on what roads you take.

A good short trip would be more east coast.
Off the boat, head east, do Bellingham through to Bridport and camp one night out there, have fish and chips at the little blue shop next to co......

Thanks for this Kyle. I will be starting off from Bellingham to Bridport and then heading down the eastcoast. Was thinking of going inland to Ben Lamond National Park. 

Any one been there before?