Billy goat bluff

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
06 Dec 2017

G'day everyone,

I'm planning to tackle billy goat bluff prior to the end of the year with a small convoy (4 cars max).

2 questions id like to have answered.

-What is the state of the track currently? if someone has done or or know someone who has completed it recently, your input would be ideal.

-How long would it take to complete the track, one way, if there was no hold ups (punctures, winching etc)

Thanks in advance

Daniel
Daniel (wj_dan)
08 Dec 2017

Tom,

I did Billy goats May this year. so 6 months ago and it was a real dissapointment.

We went just after the fire on the track so the Department had all the dozers there and they graded the track while there. 

And they only just graded the track 6 months earlier so it didn't need grading, it was just cos they were there with all the equipment, and had to get fire trucks up and down. 

Honestly it could have been done in 2wd. 

6 months later though hopefully there is a bit more of a challenge now. but I doubt it becuase its been so dry, even the latest rain we have only seen 80mm or so in Dargo area. 

Id only recommend doing it to get it off your bucket list. If your looking for a challenge look elsewhere. 

Dan 

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
09 Dec 2017

Hi

Idid Billy Goats first week of November , as mentioned its an easy drive , no need for winching .

cheers

Luke

()
09 Dec 2017

Well worth the drive up for the view at the pinnacles. Can be interesting in the wet. Roughly 30minish with no stops.

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
10 Dec 2017

Thanks all.

I’m looking forward to it, even if it isn’t showing its teeth at the moment.

Jon
Jon (thylaxene)
07 Mar 2018

Did it in Feb and it certainly isn't 2wd anymore. ;) I did it by myself and while not technical at all it still can be dangerous as shown about 2/3 up there was a very fresh dead landcruiser ute that someone had rolled. So all steep tracks need to be treated with respect.

cheers.