Tools / Spares to carry

Forum > General Discussion
Previous   1 2 3
Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
30 Oct 2017

I check the looseness of all wheel bearings and CV carrier bearing before every trip, jack it up and check for movement, top and bottom, front and rear of tyre, easy to do and takes 5 minutes, after a long run check for excessive heat, that simple. I also relpace all wheel bearings every 100,000 km just as prventative maintenance and repack every 30,000km, never had a bearing or CV failure, touch wood

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
31 Oct 2017

So far went to autobarn and bought SOS tape, radiator stop leak and epoxy putty (welds with plastic, metals etc and sets in 4 minutes).. also went through my toolbox and compiled a more detailed list of what I actually have

Duct tape, Fuses (big and small), fuel hose, tie wire, zip ties, wd40, all tools and various spanners, sockets and even adjusatble ones, jumper leads, puncture repair kit including valves, nuts, bolts, washers, screws, crimps, few meters of wire, spare headlights, wd40, threadlocker red, electrical tape, brake fluid, sometimes carry few litres of engine oil

Still need to buy: Quick set silicone and probably some other silicone / weld kind of things.

In future / remote trips I might consider grabbing some spares like air/fuel filters, belts and radiator hoses, wheel bearings, cv (although not sure I'll be able to change these on the tracks especially CV)

Also as matt said above, I always do a basic check before trips, especially if I know it's going to be a tough trip. I check oil level, coolant level, wiper bottle (basic but important), winch, basic suspension grab and shake, take it for a test drive (as it's not my daily) and check for noises etc, also do a maintenance cycle towards the end of the year (which I just did before Robe trip) change all fluids etc.. last year got new brakes, wheel bearings, TC shaft (the boot was split on the old one etc) and mid year I usually do another more basic check and fuel, air and oil filters and change periodically depends on KMs.

Going throgh your recommendations looks like I'm mostly covered.

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
31 Oct 2017

Just take basics with me , as has been mentioned , before a big trip my car goes to the mechanics , put up on hoist for a look , oils , fluids , filters etc etc.

And bit of mechanically sympathy whilst driving goes a long way.

Denis Gately (bdjg)
31 Oct 2017

Just take basics with me , as has been mentioned , before a big trip my car goes to the mechanics , put up on hoist for a look , oils , fluids , filters etc etc.

And bit of mechanically sympathy whilst driving goes a long way.

Absolutely agree the last comment !!!

Previous   1 2 3