Tools / Spares to carry

Forum > General Discussion
1 2 3   Next
Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
24 Oct 2017

Hey guys,

After last trip we had at Robe, we had a couple breakdowns.. one done a radiator and other done a TC shaft. Of course the TC one is a major job so hard to get parts etc.. but the radiator one can be a simple bush mechanics fix given you have the right tools / patchup products.. since then I been trying to think of what sort of things I should carry when going out bush to fix simple things just in case..

So far I came up with

- JB weld for fuel tanks

- Radiator Stop Leak

- Duct tape (which I already carry)

- Fuses (which I already carry)

- Short fuel hose (which I already carry)

- Jumper leads (which I already carry)

- Puncture repair kit and spare tyres (which I already carry)

What sort of other stuff do you guys carry with you? Don't want to carry spare tail shafts etc lol, just simple quick things to fix common stuff.

Same mate, hoses fan belts repair kit, duct tape and my mate gave me a spare tail shaft so it sits in the tray lol, has a new centre bearing. Tools fire extinguisher, wet weather gear a tarp, jump leads 

Richard
Richard (rtexplora)
24 Oct 2017

All good stuff Thurstain, I didn't know about JB Weld but looked at You Tube so will get some.

I usually include fan belts and some cable, connectors and heat shrink. Oh and WD40

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
24 Oct 2017

Yeah I also carry tarp, shade cloth, fire extinguisher, Wd40 and random screws, bolts and washers and crimping terminals and few metres of 5A cable.. Forgot about them, sometimes I forget what I carry haha!

Some good ideas. Hoping to get a decent list.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
24 Oct 2017

Don't carry heat shrink but have electrical tape.

()
24 Oct 2017

+ spare fuel filter, belts, hoses 

+ box of mixed small things (bolts, joiners, washers, random stuff)

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
24 Oct 2017

Rack ends! After the disaster at Mt Cole it's an essential piece of kit as a bent rack end truly cripples your vehicle.

Luke
Luke (Maz_ranger11)
24 Oct 2017

Cable ties...... if that doesn't work u haven't used enough 😂😂

4x4mate
4x4mate (maltalian0)
24 Oct 2017

Yeah I stumbled across jb weld a while ago and got some off ebay as you would of seen. Sugru was the stuff that we also patched Dave's car with. Normally good for house hold fixes but could come in handy if you have 24 hours for it to set.

I seen Matt had a few silicon and fast drying liquid nails which I am keen to explore next. I have malgamating tape coming from ebay as well. It's like next level duct tape which bonds to hoses etc.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
24 Oct 2017

Cable ties...... if that doesn't work u haven't used enough 😂😂

Always good for a joke on someone's tailshaft too...

Fencing wire. Plus as above.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
24 Oct 2017

Most of the time a well maintained car, a really good check over before and after every trip and a good dose of mechanical sympathy will be  enough to prevent needing any spares or tools. Having said that I always carry a full toolbox and all the above mentioned because you just never know...

Most of the time a well maintained car, a really good check over before and after every trip and a good dose of mechanical sympathy will be  enough to prevent needing any spares or tools. Having said that I always carry a full toolbox and ......

Lol I know we always carry to many spares just in case

Wayne
Wayne (Vitaraman)
24 Oct 2017

Wire, both steel and electrical.
Cable ties
Various nuts & bolts

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
24 Oct 2017

Wheel bearings, cv, air/fuel filter. Pretty much anything that can stop the car which is an easy fix

1 2 3   Next