Black River / Woods Point weekender

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
16 Oct 2017

Thanks to all who came it was a great weekend to be out and about.

After a late decsion that we would all make our own way over to Woods Point and meet up at Comet Flat, I left late Friday and encountered rain and fog heading over the Reefton Spur, not the start I was hoping for.  Camp was well set up by the time I rolled in at about 6.30pm so it was just grab a spot, say hello and join the circle around the fire.  Kyle made the long trip down from Wangaratta in the trusy 12HT 60 Sahara and was the last to arrive at a fairly late 10.30pm-ish.  I turned in ealry as the swag on the stretcher just looked too inviting after a long day at work and a 40kph drive along the Woods Point road due to fog.

Saturday morning dawned crisp and clear - blue sky, not a cloud in sight and bright sunlight peeking over the brow of the hill and sending rays through the smoke lazily drifting up from the camp fire.  A relaxed start and in the trucks by 9.30am saw us pulling out of camp for a day on the tracks. 

Woods Point was its bustling metropolis self at that hour of the day (not) so we just headed on up Old Coach Road in low range for the climb up the the top of the ridgeline. A bit more washed out than last time leaving a rocky base, so a bit bumpy, but no challenge to anyone and a nice way to start the day.  Turning right we followed Clark Spur track past the top of Brewery Track (closed both top and bottom) and began the descent to the Goulburn River just upstream from where it intersects Stander Creek.  It was a fairly straight forward run down, the last bit was a bit greasy and rutted - I could see some diff drag marks on top of the ruts, but as we weren't planing on coming back this way as long as we got through it wouldn't be a problem.  So just point the truck downhill and let gravity and good tyres do their stuff, too easy.

The Goulburn was only hub deep, so I stopped on the other side and got a few pics of the others coming through- a bit of erosion meant a little bit of a drop on the way in that made a nice photo opportuninty with the trucks on an angle as they eased into the water.  Now, last time we did the climb up Abblot Link there was 3 or 4 trucks that didn't make it with broken CV's, broken engine mounts and even an electrical short....  So here's hoping this time its a good run.  I snicked the 80 into 3rd low, its favourite gear for a climb and gave it a squirt up and out the other side with the big grey Ranger close behind.  There's a few ruts starting to appear in Abbot Link but nothing that doesn't have 4 wheels on the gound all the time so it's jusat a matter of point and drive.  One of my favorite hills as you can do it with a bit of gusto.  We all made it up 1st time, easy as....

So after that we headed towards the main Walhalla-Woods Point road, and after a short ten minute drive, took the Mt Selma turn off to a few cheerful catcalls of 'hey, I know a nice track off to the side here, lets do that one', for those of us who did Allan Mac's trip a few weeks ago that ended up stuck ing the snow and winching out....   Maybe next time eh Matt ?????    Hooked a left on to Champion Spur for a pleasent drive down the hill and we're getting the munchies so the decsion was made to drive for another 10 minutes to where McMillans walking track intersects Champion as there's some shade there- its actually getting WARM about now, and we'll stop for lunch.  There's a spare CV hanging in the tree there if you look carefully....  The hub end of the shaft is sheared off and the burf is locked up with rust, so it's been there for a few years at least I'd hazard.....   A few friendly Toyota-Nissan jokes later, which was actually Simon vs. everyone else in a Tojo, and we continued on after a feed.

Getting closer to the Black River turn off, concensus was we'd stop and have a look at the 'wall of death' which is Burnt Camp Track where it drops into the river.  Naomi and I decided to stretch in the sun and let all those fit persons do the short walk down to the wall while we waited.  I scratched around for some shade and was enjoying the peace and quiet when I heard the growling sound of some engines coming from down near the wall....  WTF ?????????  Someones coming up the W.O.D - impossible !!!

A minute later, some bedraggled motorbike riders wobble up the top section of the track where we are waiitng.  They'd gone in at the top end of Burnt Camp and done the track from top to bottom, including the bit where the track is the river, and found the only way out was via the W.O.D.  Turns out it took them over an hour to skulldrag 5 bikes up that short section one at a time and they were knackered.  My hat's off to them I reckon you can't even stand up on that track, how they got 5 bikes up it would ber a good campfire story.

After the guys walked back up the track with some huffing and puffing we jumped back in the 4WD's and turned off onto Black River, no trouble this time it's only rim deep.  The climb outs a bit washed out, but with great use of the radios and car spacing we all did it one after the other without getting stuck or log-jammed on that 5 point right thand turn 1/2 way up, well done everyone !   The snooze of Lazarini Spur track took us back down to the Goulburn River again for a nice wide cossing that saw some of the team take the opprtunity to give their trucks a wash in the clean cool water via a bow wave, if you know what I mean.....

Gathered on the river bank after the show, its smiles all round and then Simon tops it off  - cracks a beautiful bottle of Irish Whiskey laced with honey (correction needed) so the bottle gets passed around and we all enjoy a swig of neat whiskey, just great timing in the warm sun with the cool river in the background, mmmmm life is good. It was a great moment, thanks all. 

TL (me) is at the back of the pack having stopped to take a pic of everyone as they crossed so it's convoy out via Army track and left on the Jambo Road taking the German Spur exit for a great climb up to the top of the ridge.  Its a great climb that gos on for ages, track is in good nick, so we all let low range do the job, except the D22 which, as usual, is in 2WD high range if you can belive the radio....  Guffaw.

A stop for some firewood sees Matt whip out the trust Husky.  Yes, that chainsaw again.  After 30 seconds it splitters to stop. Surprise !

Out of gas.....   Quick top-up needed.    That thing uses more fuel than a 6.0LS Matt...      But I'm glad he brought it as we had the best dry firewood for camp later that night so we loaded up Georges handy lux and continued on.  Back to camp about 5.30pm after a good days wheeling.     

Some good stories and a few home brews later I navigated to the swag and turned in for the night.  I gather the festivities contined with some air guitar and photos as proof in the morning........  lol.

Steve's Hungee is leaking a bit from the pinion so he's going back via the main drag, Kyles off via Mansfield and Gazz heading back to the coast, plus Churchy has the luxury of an extra night at camp to sleep off the effects of the night before,  so 6 of us hit Frenchmans Gap and track heading towards Big River via Corn Hill and Boundary tracks.   Hmmmm.  How can we liven up the end of the day with some action...??

TL suggests we take the old Boundary track that goes straight up (and down) the ridge, not the sanitised bypass that zig-zags the hill.  The team seems keen to give it go.....   So at the point of no return, we all swing off the new track and head off down the old one.  I'm breaking out in a cold sweat of memories from many years ago trying to get up the mongel of a hill.......   Will going down it be any easier ?

The first section is not so bad, I've climbed this bit many times, but the colliewobbles set in - anyone want to volunteer to lead down the 2 bottom sections ???  Mick jumps at the chance, he's keen to punt the Ranger and give it a go out front, onya mate !   I edge over and Mick and Pauly ease past me in the Ranger and STU (the Prado), then I'm back in the queue in 3rd spot.  OK, deep breath, here we go ! 

Time to make some new memoires I think it was George who suggested that. Nice work !

Ok, we hit the criss-cross track and begin section 2 going down.  Pretty easy, we get to a fork in the track - left has a nuggety drop off a shelf, right is a little off camber and goes around a tree and is rocky and slow.  First 3 cars take the right option, and in my mirror I see George easing the 'lux over the shelf behind me- front wheels go OK, but then it strarts to slide sideways over the edge with the rears and gets an alarming angle  up pretty quick !!!   Some good calling from Matt (not me as I'm watching it in reverse through the mirror) has him straightening the front wheels and driving out of it, noice !!!  The Disco plomps over the ledge east-peasy and we hit the bottom section.    Moment of choice - left or right ?  Mick goes right, Pauly goes left, Alex goes right and I lose sight ov everyone behind me as there's a right turn as you come out.  We al make it safe and sound, Naomi in the Prado with the kids is looking as surprised at doing it so well as I am happy to banish those evil old track memories to the nearest dumpster.  Whoo-hoo !

Ok, time for a bite for lunch , so we roll on.   A couple of trees have fallen down on a tight left hand bend, one on the left, one on the right, both exactly parallel to the track, so you have to turn in with mm precsion - graze the bull bar on the right log, swing hard left and try to miss the other log with the left rear wheel all at the same time.  TL is round first, Pauly behind me, but it's a tight squeeze for the longer Ranger so a bit of shuffling and he's round.

Then I hear over the radio from Matt: 'my car won't turn left. steering is locked up'.  Well, that's a problem as its a 90 degree left hander between the fallen trees, innit ?????.

I'm round the corner on the other side of a swamp, so stop to await a radio report.  Looks like the steering damper has crapped out and locked up, so it'll be a few minutes to get it fixed- which I assume means 'take it off'.  Bush Mechanincs at it's finest here folks.  Oooh, look, there's a comfy log right next to the swamp in the sun, that'll do, I'll stretch out in the sun and soak up some rays while the boys on the other side get the Disco sorted.  This is the life as a TL, relax in the sun, let the others do the work, aaaah.     Yes well, payback ensues a few minutes later, doesn't it - once the Disco is quicky sorted (10 minutes lads ?) the team is rolling again to catch me up.

An un-named driver who eats pies and Tim-Tams sees TL basking in the rays next to the swamp as he drives round the corner doesn't he.  A quick calculation - I can almost see it in his eyes - postion the car like so, hit the gas to a certain speed, like so, and hey presto, 'it's payback time biatch !!!!'.     Yes, well, TL is NOT AMUSED as a bow wave of shitty brown water with frogs surfing the crest and mud in it heads my way...    But I guess the unnamed driver has a morsel of sympathy and back off half way across.  A wave that would sink the Titanic subsides to knee height by the time it gets to me - with nowhere to go- and douses me good from knee down.  Jeans, socks and boots.....  Grrrrr........

OK, I would have done it too, but the fact I didn't think of it first is more annoying than the wet socks.   Sleep well on our next trip my friend...

Yes, he who laughs last.......

Anyway, a conciltary hot pie from the offender :-)  at the luch stop to compliment my chip sandwhich (and a hug) has TL feeling better about it and laughing along with the gag.  We air up, climb up Shortcut No2 as last track for the day, and hit the bitumen back to home.   I must say those 200Kw Prados can haul in the mail up some hills too when there's an LS latched on th the back bumper......   Thats a camp fire story for another day.

Thanks to all for coming, if I knew how to post in pics here it would only show what a great time we had and how lucky we were with the weather.

Can't wait to do it again, great bunch of people to spend a weekend with.

Cheers, a damp and soggy TL.

()
16 Oct 2017

Top trip report Alex lol. Darn,spewing I went home the other way.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
16 Oct 2017

() wrote:

Top trip report Alex lol. Darn,spewing I went home the other way.

Yep. we finally did that track in Big River I've always avoided :-)   Humbug, it was easy after all that.  Oh well.  Next time !

And the Tim Tam man is on notice for next time, rubs hands with glee........

Thx Alex and to all the guys and gals on the woods point trip, I had a great time on the tracks and around the camp fire, thx heaps to everyone and I hope to catch up and do more tracks with u all again, regards George dirty old lux 👍 Awesome weekend 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
16 Oct 2017

Fantastic report as usual Alex; looking forward to seeing all the pics....smiley. If I may say so, Comets Flat doesnt look all that inviting judging by the pics Gazza posted.

Pauly
Pauly (Dagy)
16 Oct 2017

Fantastic couple of days and a very good trip report.

Fantastic tracks and well led,

Some people could be so mean but lucky they changed there mind.

Next time I will floor the Prado and see if you can keep up. PRADO PETROL POWER

Thank you all a great trip.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
16 Oct 2017

Awsome trip with a great bunch of guys and gals. The old steering damper is still on the car, we didn't pull it off just a few left and right yanks on the steering wheel freed it up on onward we went, was fine all the way home so happy days. Now its time to get a relocation kit and adjustable damper so it isn't the lowest point behind the diff and I can dial in exacting how much resistance I want on it.

Thanks for a well run trip Alex and great to get that monkey off your back, now its time to tackel it going up...

I'm keen Matt stay in touch mate, good to meet all the gang, good to see the disco made it home without to much trouble, regards George 

Mick
Mick (Grey Ranger)
16 Oct 2017

What a great trip it was. Cheers Alex.

Was some very funny campfire entertainment with Simon on the air (shovel) guitar and the air (log splitter) microphone. Had me and George in stitches lol.

Some nice scenic views to which I have a video off so il send you the link to that and the sweet river crossing that would make a nice spot for a swim.

Never did see the Navara recover any Patrols. Maybe next time lol.

()
17 Oct 2017

Yeah ther fun tracks those 3 sections, the first one going up can be a pig sometimes, last time I did it ,at the start to the right there's a big hole you fell into , had no grip to get out, can't go backwards as there was a earth mound behind, had to winch out of hole . There great fun tracks .👍

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
18 Oct 2017

Guys I just added 100+ pics to the trip file, hopefully I got some of everyones rig at some point !

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
18 Oct 2017

Looks like a typical awesome high country trip! Can't wait to start hitting the tracks again.

Excellent report BTW.

Mick
Mick (Grey Ranger)
18 Oct 2017

Hi Alex

I just added 4 video’s to a Dropbox folder which you can go to by copying the link below into your internet browser then downloading the files to your computer.

They are still uploading so the files should populate by themselves. Should be in there by late this arvo.

I think there’s a few more on my GoPro to chuck in there so il get to it tonight.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zrmare7dqtso59v/AAAzf_k5FETb6kRnsTf7RxL_a?dl=0

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
18 Oct 2017

Thanks Thurstain, it was a fun and relaxed weekend except my nerves over the last bit, all for nothing lol.

Will check out those vids tonight Mick, cheers, and thanks again for going point man at the end.

Thanks to all for a great weekend. Can't wait to hit the tracks with you all again soon. Awesome trip report Alex!