Charging Ipads - QUICKLY

Forum > General Discussion
Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
09 Oct 2017

Hi all,

I just tried running my ipad 3 with mudmaps on it for the first time this weekend. It worked a treat, and i was very happy with it.

one thing i wasn't happy with though was the amount of battery the ipad used to run the program. It went from 96% at the start to 5% in about 4 hours. I had no other apps running and the screen on auto brightness.

I tried to charge the ipad using the usb port in my car, but it appears the ipad uses more power than i could put into it, and the battery continued to drop. one of the guys had an attachment for an 18v makita battery which helped keep it alive a while longer.

Has anyone got a recommendation for how to quickly charge an ipad 3 in car, so i can continue to run the app, and not have the battery die.

Thanks

()
09 Oct 2017

A long extension cord?😉

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
09 Oct 2017

() wrote:

A long extension cord?😉

I'll bring my 23 KVA generator along in the tray as well?!

()
09 Oct 2017

Iv noticed on my I pad, that with SOME after market leads, it charges very slowly, that's charging from 240v.

Ps.has I recall the dodge leads where like 100cm long, where the factory iPad leads are 50cmish.

Ps again ,how long do you get out of just using the iPad battery? 

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
09 Oct 2017

Need to turn it on aeroplane mode as searching for reception chews the battery. They make bigger car chargers for them, think mine is a 2.2amp charger. And I have connected one of my plugs to the 2nd battery on full time power so will charge when the car is off. All this and when I connect it and it's fully charged mine won't drop under 90%

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
09 Oct 2017

Need to turn it on aeroplane mode as searching for reception chews the battery. They make bigger car chargers for them, think mine is a 2.2amp charger. And I have connected one of my plugs to the 2nd battery on full time power so will charge wh......

running it on aeroplane mode will still enable me to be located via gps?

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
09 Oct 2017

() wrote:

Iv noticed on my I pad, that with SOME after market leads, it charges very slowly, that's charging from 240v.

Ps.has I recall the dodge leads where like 100cm long, where the factory iPad leads are 50cmish.

Ps again ,h......

Yeah i have an original apple lead, which is about 50cm.

I basically want it to run all day so i can not worry about losing my navigation. I took off on saturday morning thinking "sweet, this will be awesome". By 1.30pm i needed a charger.

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
09 Oct 2017

running it on aeroplane mode will still enable me to be located via gps?

Yep GPS still works in aeroplane mode 

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
11 Oct 2017

I run an ipad that uses a pass-through GPS locator and run either Hema / Tom-Tom on the go.  I just put a hi-output USB, 2 or 3A, in my dash where the factory 80 series diff lock switch would go which is (sane as what Antony said) hard wired to my deep-cycle and hot all the time.    There's enough grunt to keep my ipad charged at 100% on the go, plus run the pass through Bad Elf locator at the same time 24 hours a day.  Good luck !

Berk
Berk (bjm74)
12 Oct 2017

Check the USB port that you're plugged in to has enough power to actually charge the iPad properly too. Some plug in USB chargers output only 1A whereas the iPads require a higher charge (over phones that don't) and as such they may indicate they're charging but don't have enough to keep up with the drain the machine is actually doing. Look for the ones that are at least 2A.

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
13 Oct 2017

Thanks everyone.

now that I know aeroplane mode will work, and picking up a high amp power socket, it'll be fine. 

Cheers

Darren
Darren (DarrenR)
08 Apr 2018

I found the USB outlet in my current generation Hilux doesn't have the power to recharge iPad (charge iPhone no probs).  Having a fairly high demand for charging multiple devices (GoPro, 2 iPhones, the iPad, drone controller and batts, multiple power banks etc) I added STEDI USB chargers - one dual outlet and one single plus voltmeter - see https://www.stedi.com.au/modern-toyota-oem-push-switches.html for the toyota options but they have switches to suit all vehicles.  Another thing, I bought a cheap(ish) TPMS from eBay that plugs into cigarette lighter.  I like having multiple uses out of single devices - this gives great TPMS (temps and pressures) but also has a single high output USB port that easily charges my iPad.  Or if you don't have anything else in cig socket, look at something like the 3-port USB car charger with Quick Charge from OfficeWorks https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-3-port-usb-car-charger-with-qc3-0-30w-black-cocc3q3bk.

With that setup I can have 2 iPhones, my iPad (running HEMA explorer), and GoPro continuously charging, and cycle through power banks or drone batt charging throughout the day on a long trip. 

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
09 Apr 2018

I found the USB outlet in my current generation Hilux doesn't have the power to recharge iPad (charge iPhone no probs).  Having a fairly high demand for charging multiple devices (GoPro, 2 iPhones, the iPad, drone controller and batts,......

That’s great, Darren.

the office works option is probably the easiest option for my situation.

much appreciated.

cheers