Another Selma Snow Run

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
18 Sep 2017

It was around 7am when we all arrived at the Caltex Longwarry, Discomatt & Liza, Alex and son Ray, Scott and dad Macca and last but not least, Don and Trevor. Was great to catch up with Scott and Macca again, as it had been a couple of years since our last 4wd adventure together. Was the 1st time I had met Don and Trev, both great guys, responsible 4wders and always welcome to join any of my trips.

Stopped at Moe to top up with 'motion lotion' and food, then made our way to the Thomson Dam and not long after aired down at the Walhalla Rd junction and at 9.30am we were making our way towards Merrington Tk.

It was wet and slippery as we made our way down Merringtons to the 1st river crossing and we all were somewhat concerned after seeing the flooded Latrobe River just out of Moe. Luckily it was not the high and even the 2nd crossing was surprisingly low and not much deeper than wheel height.

(Alex & Scott)

Discomatt & Don

We then continued along Jorgensen Tk making our way to McGuires Tk where we started to see some snow; not alot, but it was enough to suggest we were going to see quite alot when we got to the summit of Mt Selma.

We then made the descent down Mt Selma Tk to what is normally a small creek crossing.

Not overly deep and no issues for anyone and then we began the climb up Mt Selma Tk. We then came to the little clay section that needed some momentum to get over the top. Unfortunately the tripleader approached it too slowly and after a few attempts, out came the winch.

Next was Alex,who had a fair run up and with the LS2 roaring as he basically flew up and over the hill. (Will have some video to put up in the next day or so).

Both Discomatt and Scotty were a little more conservative and very understandable for Scott as his BT50 is his daily drive, so out came the winches again.

Both Don and Trev used a little more 'right foot' and both got over the ridge without assistance, even though it did look as though Don in his Prado may have not made it as at the top there was big revs, wheels spinning madly but little forward motion but a job well done.

After the little hold up we continued up Mt Selma Tk towards the summit, but unfortunately not as much snow as we had hoped for...sad

Part 2 to come.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
19 Sep 2017

Some great pics there Allan, thanks for another well run trip and thanks for taking the time to post up the report, looking forward to part 2, I recon there could be some "interesting" photos of the 4oclock track

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
19 Sep 2017

I think Matt means we should wrap it about there, move along, nothing to see.  Hey! Look!  Over there !

Great day out thanks to Al again and great pics.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
20 Sep 2017

I think Matt means we should wrap it about there, move along, nothing to see.  Hey! Look!  Over there !

Great day out thanks to Al again and great pics.

Maybe Alex, but I will continue...,.wink.

Arrived at the summit and we were all dissapointed as there was not much snow. We then had a short lunch break as the snow began to fall.

We made our way down Mt Selma Rd, then decided to head down Champion Spur Tk and make our way to Woods Point via Webber Spur Tk. Half way along Champion, Trev said he had a issue with the mighty GQ. Power steering had failed so Trev had to drive the rest of the way building up his arm muscles.

Got down to the river crossing and original plan fell in a hole. The river was a raging torrent and no way we could cross it. Decided to turn back and head out via Black River Tk, but that was knocked on the head as the river crossing there was also impassable. Backtracked along Champion Spur and headed down Mt Selma Rd again. Half way along Alex and Discomatt decided a track branching off to the left looked like 'good fun'...wink.

The two of them went down a steep rocky ledge and as we werent sure if the track connected up with Mt Selma Rd, they decided to turn back and join the rest of us who had waited at the top. Didnt quite work out as both vehicles could not get any traction and out came the winches again, just as it started to snow again...,frown

We eventually made our way back to Mt Selma Rd where Trevor was patiently waiting. Well done to all who assisted with the recoveries and Alex's son Ray had his 1st experience being involved.

Onto the Warburton/Woods Point Rd, aired up and made our way home. It was a long day and it was a reasonably easy day except for the 2 sections were recoveries were needed. Thanks to all those who attended; again great company and am sure most of us spent a few hours on the Sunday getting rid of all the mud/clay from the vehicles.

Will go through my video footage and put some up soon.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
20 Sep 2017

Thanks Al, I always love reading your trip reports and if nothing else, the 4 o'clock track made it memorable for those of us stuck 1/2 way down.  I must thank all for their help in trudging up and down that mudpit hill with multiple line re-positions required. When are we going again did I hear someone say ??????????

()
20 Sep 2017

Thanks for the great trip report Allan. Looked liked another fun trip. 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
20 Sep 2017

Think Alex might like this; (thanks Macca).

Think Alex might like this; (thanks Macca).

AHHHHHHH!!!!! to hear the LS2 at full flight, thanks Alex I know that ROARING sound only to well....But to see The Paj do it like a gentleman was very nice. Gret pics and vids guys 

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
21 Sep 2017

AHHHHHHH!!!!! to hear the LS2 at full flight, thanks Alex I know that ROARING sound only to well....But to see The Paj do it like a gentleman was very nice. Gret pics and vids guys 

That was a bit more pedal than usual Big Kev...   I had to apologics to Macca for the spray as well, d'oh !

The All Terrains were outgunned by muddies on the day, all I've got left is RPM's......  Which ain't so bad.

Ray thought it was funny I'll post up the indise car vid, you can hear him 'geez the tacho just went from one side to the other dad !!'

When are you back in the saddle mate ?????????

That was a bit more pedal than usual Big Kev...   I had to apologics to Macca for the spray as well, d'oh !

The All Terrains were outgunned by muddies on the day, all I've got left is RPM's......  Which ain......

you got plenty of RPM's  which I love the sound of. not sure when I back in the saddle maybe a couple of weeks hopefully run a trip upto the high country. I have a trip with a couple of guys from work in November who want to have a look at the huts

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
21 Sep 2017

Hmmm. How do I post this as a link or embed it....

https://youtu.be/ixiUfTDYhz0

Mick
Mick (Grey Ranger)
21 Sep 2017

Great trip report and photos Al.

Looks like a different kind of trip to the one I came on.

Alot more mud lol.

I wonder how the ranger would have went.

Might have been the first time i needed the winch. On myself anyway.