Weekend away Dargo style

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
15 Sep 2017

First of all thank you to all who joined me on this little getaway , Dave and Karl in the silver Disco, Matt in the white Disco, Dan and Sharron in the 79 series, Kelvin in T rex GQ, and another Dan in the tough looking WJ Grand Cherokee.

We all got together at Lindenow to start the adventure, heading north into the Nicholson/Mt Alfred state forest we meandered along easy tracks taking in the scenery , the more headed north the more interesting it got but nothing to chellange us yet, we were waiting for the challenge of Orton track , a track we had been warned about , don't try it if wet , don't try it at night , all the warnings that us want to have a good hard look at it and after and medium drive along Mt. Steve tk. there we were at the foot of Orton, it was dry enough to have a go so we prepared our recovery gear and headed in , we all stopped at the foot of the very steep and rocky section and one by one we made our way up , I went first and needed a short 5 metre winch before continuing to the top, next Kelvin and after coming to a halt twice he tried one more time and made it to the top unasisted all the others made it to the top with varying amounts of winching and wheel lifting, by now time was getting away so we hot footed it to Dargo for dinner at the pub and a good night sleep, both Dan and Kelvin headed home as they had prior engagements.

Sunday after breakfast at the pub we found ourselfs winding down Conway tk. to the Wononngatta river Dan and I crossed the metre deep river the correct way while the two Land rovers chose to take the bridge , we pushed on to Billy Goats Bluff and up we went enjoying the views all the way , we chose to head out down Valencia Creek tk. all the way clearing trees and branches, creek crossings and a few bog holes , we aired up in Briagolong , said our goodbyes and shuffled off home.

Another fantastic trip.

Daniel
Daniel (wj_dan)
18 Sep 2017

Was good to to meet some new faces. Will be visiting Ortons again one day. Was very challenging and when the jeep isnt my dd i'll be able to give it a better crack.
Sounds like a big sunday too. I did Valencia creek few months back but started from Horseyard, and it was a big drive all the way back to briag. Nice track though.
Thanks Al for the trip. Go jeeps.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
19 Sep 2017

Top trip with a great bunch of people. Did anyone get any video of my drive up Orton? Even the end bit with the Disco relaxing and having a  smoke after the climb, I recon the look on my face would have been pricless before we worked out it wasn't anything major...