Alex
Alex (AlexRanger)
30 Aug 2017

Hey guys,

A few mates and I are heading up to O'Tooles in a few weeks. I've never been there but given the popularity of the area I'm guessing someone will be able to advise on the best route to take from Tyers.

Three of us have mildly capable 4wds - 

My Ranger with lift, 32 inch ATs, snorkel, winch
BT50, 33 inch MTs
BT50 and HTs, 2 inch lift, snorkel 

We are not looking for a 4wd trip as the other 2 guys are not into it and inexperienced. It's more of a camping trip. What is the easiest way into O'Tooles? I've heard that there is a water crossing. Could it be too deep in late september for a vehicle without a snorkel? 
If O'Tooles doesn't suit, is there anywhere you guys can recommend nearby? We're a respectful bunch but we will have a couple of enduro bikes buzzing in and out from the campsite. Once at the campground we won't be going 4wding - the other guys aren't that keen, so the track in is all I'm concerned about. I'll be towing my standard bike trailer with 2 x dirt bikes.

Cheers in advance!
Alex.

()
30 Aug 2017

Go in via Thompson dam wall heading towards woods point then turn right down  merringtons track , this will take you to merringtons camping spot, there's a river crossing there that goes to Donnellys creek track, usually hub height, donnellys will take you to little otooles and o tootles camping spots, with some small camp spots in between, little otooles usually is less rowdie.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
30 Aug 2017

Alex, O'Tooles is a good choice for you guys to base camp for your bike riding as there is many tracks close by that you will enjoy. If weather gets bad, there is a big gazebo there as a added bonus. As Gazza said, best way in is via Merringtons Tk which is about 10-15 mins along the Walhalla Rd once you hit the gravel section. Merringtons is a easy track and you wont have any issues taking trailers, but take it slowly as it is not all that wide so can get a bit tight with oncoming traffic. You will come to a junction with a track going straight ahead and 2 to the left. Take the right one of the lefties, (if that makes sense) and will take you down to the river crossings. Ist one is generally pretty shallow but the 2nd one is always a little deeper. If you dont have a gps, get yourself the Rooftops Walhalla/Woods Point map.

Alex
Alex (AlexRanger)
30 Aug 2017

() wrote:

Go in via Thompson dam wall heading towards woods point then turn right down  merringtons track , this will take you to merringtons camping spot, there's a river crossing there that goes to Donnellys creek track, usually hub height, do......

Thanks a heap Gaz.

Alex
Alex (AlexRanger)
30 Aug 2017

Alex, O'Tooles is a good choice for you guys to base camp for your bike riding as there is many tracks close by that you will enjoy. If weather gets bad, there is a big gazebo there as a added bonus. As Gazza said, best way in is via Merrin......

Cheers Allan, 

I've heard of the gazebo, I believe it's the one that 4x4earth members built?

I've got HEMA maps on my iPad/iPhone.

When you say the second crossing is a little deeper, is it consistent with the weather or does it fluctuaute with the Thompson Dam? Sorry for the questions but one of the BT50 is brand new and has had the bumper cut to install a TJM bar - a known issue with Ranger and BT50s is that they can easily suck water after said cut before a snorkel is fitted. 

Right one of the lefties - middle track?

Alex

()
30 Aug 2017

The Thompson dam should have no input with the rivers north of the dam wall that's where the outlet is and runs south. Those creeks, rivers around merringtons would rise on the snow melt and of course rain. You could always tow the ranger though the river engine off and then check air filter is still dry and then re start. The crossings are small  smooth pebble bottom. 

Ps get your bearings and map reading right at the merringtons junction, river crossing ,as there's a few tracks there, I was going around in circles in that area for about 1 hr before finally seeing the right exit to donnellys creek track. But then it could just be me. Lol

Alex
Alex (AlexRanger)
30 Aug 2017

() wrote:

The Thompson dam should have no input with the rivers north of the dam wall that's where the outlet is and runs south. Those creeks, rivers around merringtons would rise on the snow melt and of course rain. You could always tow the ranger t......

Thanks Gaz, 

Good idea re towing. Sounds like the base will offer plenty of grip. How deep potentially does crossing number 2 get?

()
30 Aug 2017

There's heap of grip, the highest I've seen it is 2ft, but that's  just me, at the junction theres the junction hut on your left at river crossing , you can stay in the huts if you want, If empty and there's a few more on donnellys creek track,rd.