1 2   Next
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
21 Aug 2017

Well it turned out to be an 'interesting' day....surprise.

We all arrived at Erica around 9am. As well as the 'regulars' being Gazza & Alex, there were a number of participants who I had not met before; Pauly in a Prado, Mick in his mean Ranger, Daniel in a 100 series, Fred & Shelley in their Patrol and last but not least, Glenn in his Ranger who had been on one of my Toolangi trips sometime back.

After a quick briefing, we made our way past the Thomson Dam to 'air down'.

Plan for the day was to drive the full length of Fultons Tk then make our way to Mt Selma. As I have said many times, Fultons is probably my favourite track due to it having a 'bit of everything...smiley. It wasnt long before we turned down the steep descent at the beginning of Fultons.

The descent was slippery in places but we all got down to the 1st river crossing without any issues. The river was flowing much quicker compared to our trip up here a month ago, and was a little deeper.

We then arrived at the 1st steep section. It was a little slippery in places and when wet it is preferable not to stop, as it can be difficult to get going again. A video of this section, which is a continuous long climb and again footage doesnt really show how steep it is. (Sorry about the bouncy footage, a camera mount was not completely secure....blush)

Unfortunately both Glenn and Damien had to winch themselves in one section here. Glenn's problem was lack of traction in the rear of his Ranger due to no weight on his tray and Damien had a slight issue with overheating meaning the 100 lost a little power.

We continued on along Fultons and already Mick was saying, "This now is my favourite track" and passed a track that we plan to drive next time we are up this way.

We then arrive at what I consider the hardest part of Fultons. Is very steep, partly rutted and today was a 'little wet'...sad. It was challenge with even Alex saying his 'beast' was working hard on this section. Glenn again had to bring out the winch; (luckily he was wearing shorts to help him stay cool..wink). Gazza, who was TEC, also had to have a couple of goes on one section as he had stopped to help Glenn and as I said earlier, if you have to stop once you have began the climb, it is difficult to get going again when the track is wet and slippery.

Eventually the complete Fultons Tk was completed; well done to everyone...yes, and not long after at about 800mtrs, we started to see the 'white stuff'.

The rest of the report to come later today or tomorrow.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
21 Aug 2017

Awrsome report as usual... can't wait to see the rest of the report..

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
21 Aug 2017

Nice report All, looks like a great day out with plenty of white stuff and fun tracksyes

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
21 Aug 2017

Yep fun day out and about, fairly slippery, the BFG all tearains ( sorry all terrains) did a fair degree of wheelspinnig, especially on Fultons...  I did see steam and smoke from the Prado's tyres, about 1000 Kim's worth I reckon....    Anytime you're heading that way Al, I'm in, your area knowledge is great...đź‘Ś

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Aug 2017

We continued along a few other tracks making our way towards McEvoys Rd with the snow getting thicker the higher we got. I asked if anyone wanted to stop via Mt Useful and got a reply from someone up there who said 'It was like a'carpark' with cars everywhere. As we turned onto McEvoys, the paj went into limp mode & running like a 'chaff cutter', so pulled over and with Gazza stopping as well, tried to get it sorted to no avail. Told Alex that he would have to become trip leader as I would have to turn back and Gazza kindly offered to follow me down, but told him not to wreck his day and join the rest of the group as I was going to try something that might reset the computer etc. I pulled over well off the road and had a bite to eat as watched some of the 'dipsticks' flying past all over the road. The area was 'busier than Bourke St' but many 4wds were travelling at crazy speeds. Then heard Alex on the radio saying they had come to a complete stop as a vehicle had rolled over the side of road and a recovery was taking place.

Vehicle damage was accessed while a few of that group had a few beers & it was still drivable, but Alex turned the group around and headed back to the Mt Useful Tower for a lunch break.

By this time, the paj seemed to be ok, so I decided to head up to the tower to continue on with the trip. Came across a few vehicles on the way and to back back down a section of the road to let a number of vehicles past, but eventually arrived to catch up with the rest of the group...smiley

We then discussed continuing on towards Selma, but Gazza was not all that keen as his tyres were almost past their 'use by date', but it didnt take much to convince him to continue. As it turned out, was probably the wrong call....sad

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Aug 2017

Was still plenty of traffic on the road which was a 'pita' but then came the call over the radio; "I'm off the road"...crying.  Gazza had slipped off the road on a very icy section and the rear of the 80 was almost over the edge. He tried to move forward slowly, but the rear slid further towards the edge. It was time to winch him back on the road as his partner Julie quickly bailed from the passenger seat.

All went well and after Gazza 'changed his undies'...wink, we continued on towards Mt Selma with Alex now up front.

Alex branched off the main track, with most of the group following, to attempt the narly section we had come down a few weeks earlier. Gazz, Glenn and myself stayed on the main track so we could get some pics and video footage of the guys attempting the steep/rocky climb.

A bit more footage of us driving towards Mt Selma.

Did Alex and the rest of the group make it up the narly section????. We will know when I upload  & post the video footage tonight or tomorrow.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
22 Aug 2017

Aaaaaaaaarggggghhhhhhh, come on Al.   Can't wait to see the footage............  Never shows how steep or slippery it was though but I hope it sounds good :-) 

()
22 Aug 2017

Still trying to get those stains out. Lol New tyres all organised.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Aug 2017

Aaaaaaaaarggggghhhhhhh, come on Al.   Can't wait to see the footage............  Never shows how steep or slippery it was though but I hope it sounds good :-) 

You will to be patient Alex.....wink. Footage looks good and whilst I tried my best to show how steep it was, it does show how slippery and rocky it was. Yes, the sound wasnt too bad either.....smiley

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Aug 2017

() wrote:

Still trying to get those stains out. Lol New tyres all organised.

Good to hear about the new tyres Gazza; looking forward to seeing them on our HC trip. Think you should probably throw those undies out as I doubt you will be able to remove the stains......cheeky

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Aug 2017

A few more random pics from the day; thanks to Alex & Gazza for taking the pics plus the video footage from Mick of Gazza's recovery....yes. How did you find the new camera Gazz?.

Alex & Pauly.

()
22 Aug 2017

The camera went well when I remembered to focused it first and turn it on. Lol

()
22 Aug 2017

I presume that's Alex's photo of the cabin. Matlock? Great photo.

Neil
Neil (love24wd)
22 Aug 2017

Great trip report Allan

Looks like it was a very adventfull day for every one

cant wait till the rest of the report comes threw

I agree With Allan Gazza Throw those Jocks away mate lol

Cheers

Neil

()
22 Aug 2017

Great trip report Allan

Looks like it was a very adventfull day for every one

cant wait till the rest of the report comes threw

I agree With Allan Gazza Throw those Jocks away mate lol

Cheers

Neil

There my lucky 4wding undies. I'll try tie dying them brownish colour,Come to think about there abit unlucky. 

Yeah getting the comforsers  cf3000 33" 12.50" 15" $200 fitted. Reviews seem positive with wear and noise. Give them a work out on the high country trip.

1 2   Next