19.8.17 Big River to Mount Matlock (Snow Ploughing)

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Eli
Eli (Triton Noob)
21 Aug 2017

19th August 2017 what a day and what a weekend. 

We all met at Warburton on time which is a good start, there were some familiar faces on this trip, Nick & Tracy and the 2 kids, Jason & Katrina and some new faces, Peter & Mel and Blair. We left at 8:30am on the dot to head up to Stockman's Reward camp ground to meet Tom and Steve who camped there the Friday night. On the way up it was snowing and thick snow, I personally haven't seen it like that before so we were in for a treat of snow.  

We made our way from Stockmans Reward to Mount Matlock and our first challenge was crossing the fast flowing and pretty full river at Camp Track, we all got through it. Jasons number plate on his Navara was all bent up. After that we basically kept climbing and climbing and as we kept going up the snow was getting deeper and deeper. Most of the way we were the only cars on the track, we were driving on fresh, thick snow. 

We came to this rather steep incline which is fairly easy in the dry, good momentum, wheel placement and you can get up without any issues. However on Saturday there was no track, just snow and it was thick. I went up first and i got stuck a few times as my ute kept sliding out but I was persistent and gave it heaps of right foot and got up there. My mud tyres ripped it up enough for the others to grip to at least some ice and mud. Jason in the Navara was next but he didn't have the traction and just kept spinning. So myself and Nick strapped him off to a tree and we got him to slide back into a washout and we got the others to go up, with the idea the other cars will chew up the ice more and get the track down to rock and mud which worked.  Also what helped there was two guys behind our group in kitted up Patrols with mud tyres to also help the cause. We ended up hooking up the Navara to our last car and pulled him up which worked well. 

After that section we headed up to Corn Hill where we started seeing a lot of traffic and the snow was deep at possible about 40cm as a guess. We made it to the fire tower about 3pm and this was the point where most of the trip headed back home whilst Tom, Steve and I headed to Woods Point to camp for the night. The Saturday was a great day out, thick snow, a blue sunny sky and great people.  

Saturday night camping was great, warm fire, a few drinks and a good feed is always great after a big day on the tracks. Sunday morning we did the same for a few hours, found some great tracks and a lot of fresh thick snow before heading back home. 

It was such a pleasure leading this trip and group of really nice people and I look forward to seeing everyone again soon out there. 

Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
21 Aug 2017

Another GREAT Trip lead by Eli. Thank you. To Add to your report. It took 1 hour for myself and Eli to get Jason and his Navara to a wash away for others to get past. This was mainly due to the steepness of the track and the thickness of the snow and ice. No chances were taken and we had to reposition the snatch a few times to aid in guiding  and being an anchor to ensure Jason and his Rig got to a safe location. Good team work and communication by all involved. Sorry to all those who had to wait at the bottom of the hill while this was all happening!. 

If this trip was run during any other time it would of been a Easy to Medium trip. But with the heavy snow dumps and the fact we were the first convoy to use most of the tracks it turned the trip into a solid Medium Trip with a couple of technical sections. Perfect for the group and a great experience for those who are not use to this type of driving. Plenty of experience and guidance between all involved which made the day easy. 

First hit snow at around 780 - 800 mtrs and had thick powder at 1000 -1100 mtrs (approx 40cm to 50 cm). We expected snow BUT we didnt expect the amount we found and the weather was perfect sunny and NO WIND!. 

We had some young "P Platers" in front of our convoy who were a little heavy on the right foot and one almost went off the cliff at about 1150 mtrs, Luckily we were not too far behind them and quickly arrived and Eli snatched him back on to the track and cleared a fallen tree then was brought down by the P plater. We continued up to the fire tower were it was like Bourke St 10+ 4wds and Mud slush everywhere. 

Discussions and goodbyes at this point as we headed down to the main road. those camping headed off and everyone else continued on to the air up point. Jason in the 100 series radioed that he pinched a brake line and was not going to camp but to head home. 

We continued to Cumberland Junction were we began to air up. rolled in Jason and his 100 series with the front left smoking like a 90 year old chain smoker. Still unsure of how badly damaged the vehicle was Jason said he would limp home as he was about 20 mins from there. 

Jason & Katrina,  Blair, Peter & Mel and Me, Tracey and Kids continued to Air up and discuss which way we were heading home. We all headed to Warburton instead of going via Marysville. Luckily we did as we rounded a bend and saw Jasons 100 series on the side of the road with his hazards on. we all pulled up and jumped out, His front left wheel has completely come off and was 5 -10 mtrs behind him brake disc was behind the vehicle and skid marks to where he came to rest. LUCKY! as it could of been a lot worst!. We all discussed how we could assist and it was decided that Jason and Katrina would run Jason to somewhere with phone reception to arrange a tow truck while Peter and Mel stayed with the vehicle to ensure it was safe and not ransacked while Jason was getting help. 

Blair and myself and family continued home as it was decided we couldnt assist any further. Thank you to Jason/ Katrina and Peter / Mel for assisting Jason getting his Rig home!. Hopefully it will be back on the tracks sooner rather than later. 

Some facts about the Trip!

KM Travelled - 191.6 Warburton to Warburton 
Max Altitude - 1392 m
Moving time - 5 hrs 32 mins
Stopped time - 3 hrs 26 mins 

Total time - 8 hrs 58 mins 

()
21 Aug 2017

Thanks for the great trip report and photos guys, looked like a fun trip, with everyone chipping in when things go pear shaped. Top stuff cheers gazza

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
22 Aug 2017

Great stuff Eli,

What a differenence a week makes , Excellent report and the changes are  massive over the week before.

Cheers Rick

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
22 Aug 2017

What an awesome experience with a great group of people.  

A HUGE thanks to Eli, Nick and Jason for getting me out of that jam.

The day was also a valuable learning curve for me – both in the meticulous recovery which Eli, Nick and Jason undertook to get me up that hill and also in gaining a better understanding of how much more effective four rotating wheels in low-range, using engine braking was on ice and snow compared to using the brakes (and risk locking up). 

Thanks also to either Tom or Nick for giving that advice over the UHF just before I entered the water for that awesome river crossing too.

PS: Jason’s wife messaged me back that night to say he arrived home approx. 9:30pm after one of his mates arrived at 8:15pm to make some brilliant roadside repairs to get his 100 Series mobile again. Great to hear!

Cheers

Jason and Katrina

Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
23 Aug 2017

What an awesome experience with a great group of people.  

A HUGE thanks to Eli, Nick......

Awesome news about Jason glad they got him and rig home!. Glad you and Katrina had a good day! Look forward to the next trip!... now to upgrade the navara's rubber! smiley