Walhalla - Mt Selma Loop

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
24 Jul 2017

A very enjoyable day with a great bunch of guys...smiley

It was 8.45am on the dot when we all met at the Erica Pub. 6 of us, Alex, Neil, Discomatt, Erwin, Shane and myself met earlier at Longwarry then topped up with 'motion lotion' and a bakery stop in Moe before meeting the 2 other Matts at the pub.

We then made our way to the Walhalla Rd to air down then down Merringtons, across two shallow river crossings then onto Jorgensons Tk to make our way towards Mt Selma. It was reasonably easy going with one steep, slippery section on Jorgensons that we all got up without too much trouble, most of us having to use a 'bit of right foot' to get to the top. As we made our way along McGuires Tk we could see Mt Selma and there was some snow, so we were hopeful that we might see some up at the summit. Turned onto Mt Selma track and headed down to the river crossing, then some of us had to do a U turn as the trip leader went up the wrong track....blush. Started the climb and at about 1100 mtrs started to see the 'white stuff'. The higher we climbed the more we had, not a huge amount, and we all enjoyed the drive with some having more fun than others...wink. We arrived at the trig point at Mt Selma where we had our lunch break; not a long one as it was cold and quite windy.

After the break, instead of getting straight back onto Mt Selma Rd, we went down this very steep rocky section of track. Most vehicles did a bit of 'crashing and bashing' on the way down, but no damage. From there we made our way back down the main roads with a stop at the Mt Useful tower before turning onto Morning Star Tk to make our way back towards Walhalla. Some video of the day up to Mt Selma/Mt Useful.

Onto Morning Star track, which had a couple of nice sections, then we arrived at 'Discomatt's Hill'. We all stop and watched Alex slowly crawl up to 'that section' He then kept going and the 'beast started to slide sideways, so thought it best to back down. When I get the pics, you will see how steep that last little pinch is. We then had a stop at Store Point, then made our way via Army Tk to my favourite track; Fultons Creek. We only drove a small section with a couple of river crossings that were extremely shallow before our last track of the day being Beardmores, now named 'Morebeards' by Alex. There are two bog holes here, one can be avoided the other cannot. The one we had to go through was much worse than our trip up there a few months ago, and all vehicles hit what we thought was a rock in the bottom. Luckily no damage but Neil was anticipating his sidestep to be rather unhealthy. At the bottom of 'Morebeards', we had the nice river crossing to help remove some of the mud then we aired up and all headed home about 5pm. Again, a super day with great company and was good to have Shane, Matt 3 and Erwin join our regular group.

I  will put up some pics taken by the others when they send them to me, as the dickhead trip leader forgot to put his battery in his camera...angry

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
24 Jul 2017

A couple of pics taken by Matt (Outrage).

Looks like you all had a fun day, so very sorry I had to work and miss it. See you all soon

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
25 Jul 2017

Looks like you all had a fun day, so very sorry I had to work and miss it. See you all soon

Yes 'Big Kev', you missed a great day. Have added some more pics of the day courtesy of Alex....yes

.Erica Hotel then 'airing down' on Walhalla Road.

Heading up to Mt Selma & lunch at the summit.

Alex & 'the beast'.

Heading to Mt Useful

Mt Useful Tower.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
25 Jul 2017

Arriving at 'Discomatt's Hill'.

Store Point

'Boghole' on Beardmores.

Heading down Beardmores with view of Thomson Dam followed by 'car wash' before airing up.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
25 Jul 2017

Here is some footage of Alex on 'Discomatt's Hill'.....wink

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
25 Jul 2017

This looks like an awesome trip!! Awesome report.

()
25 Jul 2017

Thanks for the trip report and great photos, looked like a fun trip.👍

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
25 Jul 2017

() wrote:

Thanks for the trip report and great photos, looked like a fun trip.👍

We thought about you Gazza wondering if you're able to sit down yet...  

You would have made it up 'Matt's hill' I chickened out.

Thanks for the update and trip report Al !

()
25 Jul 2017

It's painful and Iv popped a stitch. Is that a new gps ? And a new top speed 244kph? Lol

()
25 Jul 2017

That last bit on Matts hill looks very steeeeep, even on photos.

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
25 Jul 2017

Another great report Allanyes , Love that area I've done Beardmores four times now and it's been different every time. Last time the boghole with the chicken track was easier than the other one and we all hit something that sounded like a rock too 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
25 Jul 2017

We thought about you Gazza wondering if you're able to sit down yet...  

You would have made it up 'Matt's hill' I chickened out.

Thanks for the update and trip report Al !

Not sure if Gazza would give it a try Alex; as he said even the pics showed how steep the last section was.

Andrew, agree it is a fantastic area and the boghole on Beardmores is getting worse. On our trip we half planned a route that will be awesome once the seasonal closures finish.

Matt
Matt (Outrage)
25 Jul 2017

Another great trip Al, thanks again. New dent in the petrol tank, I expect the boghole was the culprit, otherwise all looks ok.

Matt
Matt (Midday71)
25 Jul 2017

Another great trip Al, thanks again. New dent in the petrol tank, I expect the boghole was the culprit, otherwise all looks ok.

You guys should have gone around that bog hole like Shane and me! 🐓

1 2   Next