Last minute Snow Trip (Monday 7th Aug) - near Marysville MEDIUM

Marysville, VIC

See more trips


Looking to run a day trip to find some snow near Marysville area on Monday. The main track will be Strictland Spur Track which will take us to snow line (~1000m). This track can be rocky in some sections so if you don't have much clearance, you may find it technical. A winch is a must on this trip due to the wet/snow condition. 

 

Once we have completed the track, we may check out few other tracks in the area. I don't have a concret plan of the route at this stage. Planning to finish the trip around 2-3pm. 

 

 

Requirement

  • Electric Winch
  • Recovery Gear
  • Kelvin (TREXGQ) I am first-aid qualified Trip Leader - Level 6 (Completed over 76 trips)

    GOING
    Myself onlyChecked-In (06-Aug-2017 10:36)
    TREXGQ (1990 Patrol)
    • 35" Tyres, 3" Lifted
    • Front Diff Lock
    • Winch

  • Mick (Grey Ranger)

    GOING
    Driver + 1 AdultChecked-In (06-Aug-2017 10:03)
    Ranger (2017 Wildtrak)
    • 33" Tyres, 2" Lifted
    • Rear Diff Lock
    • Winch

  • Ben Howe (Nacho) Trip Leader - Level 1 (Completed over 2 trips)

    GOING
    Driver + 1 AdultChecked-In (06-Aug-2017 10:56)
    hilux (2012 hilux)
    • 33" Tyres, 3" Lifted
    • Front & Rear Locker
    • Winch

  • Maarten (DUTCHD) Trip Leader - Level 1 (Completed over 2 trips)

    GOING
    Myself onlyChecked-In (06-Aug-2017 18:27)
    The Unicorn (2005 Patrol TD42)
    • 33" Tyres, 2" Lifted
    • Front Diff Lock
    • Winch

  • Alex (AlexRanger) Trip Leader - Level 1 (Completed over 1 trips)

    GOING
    Myself onlyChecked-In (06-Aug-2017 15:25)
    Ranger (2015 Ranger XLT PX2)
    • 32" Tyres, 2" Lifted
    • Rear Diff Lock
    • Winch

  • John (Jawsman96)

    GOING
    Myself onlyChecked-In (06-Aug-2017 11:19)
    PA2 Challenger (2001 Challenger)
    • 33" Tyres, 2" Lifted
    • Front & Rear Locker
    • Winch


  • Phil Wright (lx470) I am first-aid qualified I have mechanic skills I had chainsaw training I had winch training

    GOING
    Myself onlyChecked-In (06-Aug-2017 10:21)
    100 series (2000 lx470)
    • 37" Tyres, 3" Lifted
    • Front & Rear Locker
    • Winch

  • Trevor (Trevor56) Trip Leader - Level 1 (Completed over 3 trips) Premium Member

    GOING
    Myself onlyChecked-In (06-Aug-2017 13:59)
    Patrol GQ (1993 GQ)
    • 37" Tyres, 2" Lifted
    • Front & Rear Locker
    • Winch

  • Paul (kibz)


    I am Interested / In Waiting List
    PX2 Ranger (2015 Ranger)
    • 33" Tyres, 2" Lifted
    • Rear Diff Lock
    • Winch

Thurstain (Tcm9669) Premium Member
Is monday a public holiday that I'm not aware of? lol
03 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Thurstain (Tcm9669) wrote: Is monday a public holiday that I'm not aware of? lol
Haha, I think many people have developed early symptom of sickness, starting from today.
03 Aug 2017
Alex (AlexRanger)
Thanks for posting this trip Kelvin. I'm a shift worker and often have days off during the week when everyone is at work. So I'm on board.

Biggest snow event for a number of years due to hit this weekend starting Friday arvo. Snow down to 800m, with the major resorts expecting a potential dump of up to 100cm. Could be an interesting trip!
03 Aug 2017
Alex (TEQ-80) Premium Member
Cough, cough, I gotta work :-(
03 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Alex (TEQ-80) wrote: Cough, cough, I gotta work :-(
Go an extra mile at work today, tomorrow and Tue.......
03 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Alex (AlexRanger) wrote: Thanks for posting this trip Kelvin. I'm a shift worker and often have days off during the week when everyone is at work. So I'm on board.

Biggest snow event for a number of years due to hit this weekend starting Friday arvo. Snow down to 800m, with the major resorts expecting a potential dump of up to 100cm. Could be an interesting trip!
That's great Alex. I do feel for those who work shift on the weekend and missing out a lot of great trip. Yes, it should be an interesting day! Now, I regret why I didn't fit a travel buddy in my car earlier so I can have a hot warm pie on Monday.
03 Aug 2017
Maarten (DUTCHD)
Alex (TEQ-80) wrote: Cough, cough, I gotta work :-(
Come on Alex, it's a nasty cough, you wanna sort it out properly....
03 Aug 2017
Alex (AlexRanger)
Kelvin (TREXGQ) wrote:
Alex (AlexRanger) wrote: Thanks for posting this trip Kelvin. I'm a shift worker and often have days off during the week when everyone is at work. So I'm on board.

Biggest snow event for a number of years due to hit this weekend starting Friday arvo. Snow down to 800m, with the major resorts expecting a potential dump of up to 100cm. Could be an interesting trip!
That's great Alex. I do feel for those who work shift on the weekend and missing out a lot of great trip. Yes, it should be an interesting day! Now, I regret why I didn't fit a travel buddy in my car earlier so I can have a hot warm pie on Monday.
I've got the Waeco kettle if that helps!
03 Aug 2017
Alex (AlexRanger)
http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads/august-3-9th.78807/page-9

I've used this page for a number of years for our forecasts for snow skiing. There's some pretty reputable opinions on this forum and they're all forecasting a serious weather event.
Pie warmers and kettle jokes aside, there is potential for TOO much snow at the higher elevations on Monday... chains?
03 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Thanks for the link Alex. It's certainly looking promising finally. We will be travelling around 900-1100m so there shouldn't be too much snow. I have driven in deep snow in the past without chain. I don't usually recommend to use chain as it does cause a lot of damage to the track and also unless we are going to drive in deep snow for a long time, it's probably not needed. However, it's totally up to you if you want to carry/use chain.
03 Aug 2017
Alex (AlexRanger)
Kelvin (TREXGQ) wrote: Thanks for the link Alex. It's certainly looking promising finally. We will be travelling around 900-1100m so there shouldn't be too much snow. I have driven in deep snow in the past without chain. I don't usually recommend to use chain as it does cause a lot of damage to the track and also unless we are going to drive in deep snow for a long time, it's probably not needed. However, it's totally up to you if you want to carry/use chain.
Yes I agree regarding track damage. I don't actually own chains - rare that we need them here in Aus at our resorts with 4x4.
03 Aug 2017
Alex (TEQ-80) Premium Member
Kelvin (TREXGQ) wrote:
Alex (TEQ-80) wrote: Cough, cough, I gotta work :-(
Go an extra mile at work today, tomorrow and Tue.......
Yeah..... no. One of my guys is off from Friday to Tuesday so gotta hold the fort. Have fun :-(
03 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Wow... really didnt expect the good response on this trip.. looking forward to meeting all the new members ... see you all on Monday
03 Aug 2017
Alex (AlexRanger)
Thanks Kelvin. Getting excited.
The same forum is forecasting 20-30cm on Monday alone down to 800m.
03 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Alex (AlexRanger) wrote: Thanks Kelvin. Getting excited.
The same forum is forecasting 20-30cm on Monday alone down to 800m.
AWESOME!...
03 Aug 2017
Matthew (discomatt)
Wish I could take a day off but way to many jobs on the go at the moment, should be heaps of snow, have fun!!
03 Aug 2017
Phil Wright (lx470)
see if i can get monday off
03 Aug 2017
Mick (Grey Ranger)
If it's anything like that snow trip video you posted earlier Kelvin should be an exciting eventful day lol.
03 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Alright guys/girls, as ususal, I would like all of you to double check your winch and vehicle condition. Please make sure your winch is in working condition, AND have your controller in your vehicle. If you don't have a recovery hitch, please make sure you have at least a tow pin attached. Visually inspect your vehicle (crack belt, oil/coolant level) etc. I will always make sure we come home safely. If you haven't added emergency contact in your account, now it's time to do so. We won't travel great distance so no jerry can is needed.

Last but not least, if I would kindly ask everyone to arrive 30 mins earlier so that we can hit the road at 9am sharp. It's Monday rush hour so make sure you have plenty of travel time.

That's it, if you have any questions please post it here and I will try to answer you on Sunday night.
04 Aug 2017
Thurstain (Tcm9669) Premium Member
I'll do all my checks tomorrow. Around what time you reckon we will be done?
04 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Thurstain (Tcm9669) wrote: I'll do all my checks tomorrow. Around what time you reckon we will be done?
Possibly 3ish....
04 Aug 2017
Alex (AlexRanger)
Hi Kelvin,

Would be good idea for at least 2 chainsaws I'd say. Weather is going to turn really foul and I'm guessing there won't be many heading through that area Sunday.
04 Aug 2017
Maarten (DUTCHD)
Alex (AlexRanger) wrote: Hi Kelvin,

Would be good idea for at least 2 chainsaws I'd say. Weather is going to turn really foul and I'm guessing there won't be many heading through that area Sunday.
You read my mind! Blowy weather, we'll worth taking chainsaws! Happy to take either my 170 or 250....
04 Aug 2017
Alex (AlexRanger)
Mine chainsaw is down at the farm and won't be making the trip especially to pick it up - sorry guys.
04 Aug 2017
John (Jawsman96)
I'll be bringing a chainsaw along, plus I've got a travelbuddy oven, so if anyone wants to buy a pie at the bakery I'll be happy to cook it
04 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
I will have a chainsaw
04 Aug 2017
Alex (AlexRanger)
Straight from the BOM:

(Saturday & Sunday)
'DAMAGING WINDS:
Elevated areas are considered most susceptible to these gusts. Peak gusts over Alpine areas are expected to reach 110km/h.

Whilst winds will ease over most areas by early Sunday morning, strong to gale force winds will persist over the Alpine peaks into Sunday afternoon. Such strong winds combined with heavy snow falls are likely to lead to Blizzard conditions over the Alpine areas.'

Chain saws and drag chains at the ready.
05 Aug 2017
Simon (VBer)
WITHDRAWN from Trip - Reason: Job interview :)
05 Aug 2017
Maarten (DUTCHD)
2 chainsaws already coming I see, might leave mine home then! Winch works, just the free-spool doesn't as we worked out on the last trip a few weeks ago.... Will have to pull it apart after this trip.....
06 Aug 2017
Maarten (DUTCHD)
is it all state forest?
06 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Hi everyone, if you could bring a chainsaw, it would be great. My chainsaw is tiny, if we are blocked by a bigger tree, we need 1-2 decent size chainsaw.
07 Aug 2017
Mick (Grey Ranger)
I don't have a chainsaw but it might have to go on my shopping list for next time.
07 Aug 2017
Ben Howe (Nacho)
Kelvin (TREXGQ) wrote: Hi everyone, if you could bring a chainsaw, it would be great. My chainsaw is tiny, if we are blocked by a bigger tree, we need 1-2 decent size chainsaw.
No worries
07 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Maarten (DUTCHD) wrote: is it all state forest?
Mainly national park...
07 Aug 2017
Maarten (DUTCHD)
Not a minute too early! Just unloaded the 2 dogs I was gonna take!
07 Aug 2017
Thurstain (Tcm9669) Premium Member
Too late now. I'm already at the bakery and dog is in the back seat.
07 Aug 2017
Phil Wright (lx470)
great trip
07 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Nice to meet everyone... good to find some good snow...i will post the trip report later this week if you can upload and share your photos it would be great
07 Aug 2017
Thurstain (Tcm9669) Premium Member
Please upload some footage of the navara whoever has some! Especially the insane rock steps!

Thanks guys was nice meeting everyone! Awesome trip.... Now to spend the next couple weekends crawling under it checking out whats all the new feature noises it's doing lol
07 Aug 2017
Maarten (DUTCHD)
Was a great trip! Luckily everyone got through without significant damage... The snow was unreal!!! Sadly too deep to actually drive on! Guess between a hard first part and easy second part, it was indeed a medium trip 😉. Thanks Kelvin for posting the trip!
08 Aug 2017
Mick (Grey Ranger)
Thanks again for posting the trip Kelvin. Will keep an eye out for more Weekday trips in the future.
I will get around to uploading videos of everyone's vehicles soon.
Cheers to everyone that came. Ended up being a great day that didn't dissapoint.
The Ranger came out unscathed other than some minor pin striping here and there. Adds to the character of the car.
08 Aug 2017
Alex (AlexRanger)
Hey guys,

Thanks for the trip. Sorry I had to bail before heading up to Matlock - sounds like you all found some snow. I've got a heap of photos from earlier in the day. Will put them into the trip report when it's posted. Only a bent side step for me - not bad for 32's on those rock steps! Good excuse to rip them off and get some steel on there.
08 Aug 2017
Maarten (DUTCHD)
Alex (AlexRanger) wrote: Hey guys,

Thanks for the trip. Sorry I had to bail before heading up to Matlock - sounds like you all found some snow. I've got a heap of photos from earlier in the day. Will put them into the trip report when it's posted. Only a bent side step for me - not bad for 32's on those rock steps! Good excuse to rip them off and get some steel on there.
I sent you a message in regards to that! 😀
08 Aug 2017
Thurstain (Tcm9669) Premium Member
Mick (Grey Ranger) wrote: Thanks again for posting the trip Kelvin. Will keep an eye out for more Weekday trips in the future.
I will get around to uploading videos of everyone's vehicles soon.
Cheers to everyone that came. Ended up being a great day that didn't dissapoint.
The Ranger came out unscathed other than some minor pin striping here and there. Adds to the character of the car.
Hey mate,
Any ETA on the videos please?

I'm trying to compile a video from some dashcam footage atm.
09 Aug 2017
Mick (Grey Ranger)
Thurstain (Tcm9669) wrote:
Mick (Grey Ranger) wrote: Thanks again for posting the trip Kelvin. Will keep an eye out for more Weekday trips in the future.
I will get around to uploading videos of everyone's vehicles soon.
Cheers to everyone that came. Ended up being a great day that didn't dissapoint.
The Ranger came out unscathed other than some minor pin striping here and there. Adds to the character of the car.
Hey mate,
Any ETA on the videos please?

I'm trying to compile a video from some dashcam footage atm.
Hi Thurstain

I tried to upload them the other day but they were taking to long.
I made a video myself using all the footage I have and I'm in the process of trying to upload it to my YouTube account which il post later.
In the meantime can you PM me your number and il msg you the videos I have of you.
If anyone else has videos of my car would be great if you could send to me also, would be appreciated.

Mick
10 Aug 2017
Thurstain (Tcm9669) Premium Member
Mick (Grey Ranger) wrote:
Thurstain (Tcm9669) wrote:
Mick (Grey Ranger) wrote: Thanks again for posting the trip Kelvin. Will keep an eye out for more Weekday trips in the future.
I will get around to uploading videos of everyone's vehicles soon.
Cheers to everyone that came. Ended up being a great day that didn't dissapoint.
The Ranger came out unscathed other than some minor pin striping here and there. Adds to the character of the car.
Hey mate,
Any ETA on the videos please?

I'm trying to compile a video from some dashcam footage atm.
Hi Thurstain

I tried to upload them the other day but they were taking to long.
I made a video myself using all the footage I have and I'm in the process of trying to upload it to my YouTube account which il post later.
In the meantime can you PM me your number and il msg you the videos I have of you.
If anyone else has videos of my car would be great if you could send to me also, would be appreciated.

Mick
Messaged you bud.
10 Aug 2017
Mick (Grey Ranger)
I made a movie using all the footage I could get my hands on.

https://youtu.be/6zLQODhNc6I
12 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Wow thats an amazing video mate.... thanks heaps for capturing all the best moment... cheers mate
12 Aug 2017
Maarten (DUTCHD)
Awesome video!!! Lessons learned... Twin locked on 35's make things look easy, hilux without a locker makes everything look hard! That challenger would be a ripper promo car for lockers! Just crawled over everything despite the 'legal' tyre size and lift!
12 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
The lesson should be..... "Most of 4wds are more capable than the driver".... It's a technical track in the worst condition. Now you know what you and your truck is capable of. Like any 4wd trips, we always need to prepare the condition changes. Frankly I didn't expect the condition would be that bad but we were at the point when we could only push on and work as a team (spotting, winching, and track building) and that's what it is all about. Forget about how the trip is rated, what cars running locker, and just focusing on the driving, and push yourself and your car out of your comfort zone. I am very impressed with all the drivers and 4by especially Ben in the Hilux. There were bash and bang but come on, it's 4wding....
Anyway, it's a great day with everything that threw to us...... rock, logs, snow, mud...
12 Aug 2017
John (Jawsman96)
Maarten (DUTCHD) wrote: Awesome video!!! Lessons learned... Twin locked on 35's make things look easy, hilux without a locker makes everything look hard! That challenger would be a ripper promo car for lockers! Just crawled over everything despite the 'legal' tyre size and lift!
I've never been on a track like that and even I'm surprised with how much of a difference the lockers make. They paid for themselves multiple times on the trip.
12 Aug 2017
John (Jawsman96)
Awesome video to go with an awesome trip. Big thanks to everyone who went and an even bigger thanks to Kelvin for setting the trip up.
12 Aug 2017
Mick (Grey Ranger)
Cheers for the feedback, it was the first video I've ever made. It's good being closer to the front as I'm able to get out and film the other cars.
Could be a good little side hobby.
I was speaking with Ben and I think he's looking at putting on front and rear lockers. I'm sure he doesn't want to miss out on the action and be able to keep up with the better equipped rigs.
Front locker is going on my Xmas wish list also.
12 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Definitely. I have never had lockers for nearly 10 years but since I fitted my front-locker 2 years ago, it opened up a complete whole new world. Everything can be driven so much slower, easier and safer. You need front-locker first as it's the first point of contact. It requires the maximum traction to pull your car over an obstacle. It will be your best investment.
12 Aug 2017
Maarten (DUTCHD)
I'd thought about them, and after last weekend it's definitely coming. See if there's a bargain to be had at the show, otherwise bite the bullet and get it elsewhere. E-locker for me....
12 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Just FYI, if you choose to get a E-locker, make sure your mechanic or you put the correct grade of Diff oil. One of my mate's hilux had his E-locker engaged while driving on highway due to wrong oil put in by his mechanic, Luckily he survived! ....

Just be aware. Otherwise, E-locker is awesome.
12 Aug 2017
Thurstain (Tcm9669) Premium Member
Awesome video! Really good stuff on there!

Can't wait to put in my front locker! Had it for a while in the shed but been too busy to put on.. Definitely need to dedicate some time for it.

This trip really made me love my navara... Especially when people give them such a bad rep! It ate up the tracks and it's not even locked yet! Especially keeping in mind the basic 2 inch 32s!
12 Aug 2017
Ben Howe (Nacho)
Such a good video Mick,we played it on the TV with friends last night and everyone thought it was awesome.
When I saw that track I really thought I was out of my depth.Can't believe I made it up that first rocky step section.
Thanks for the help getting up,especially Kelvin.
It seems to me once I've got lockers I can cruise along like John without flooring it and smashing against stuff and destroying the Hilux.
I rekon other issue was my rusted on tow bar,I saw a pic from when I was winching and the tow bar was hung up on a rock (not the first time) so I've now replaced the whole bar. The new one sits 350mm shorter and a bit higher too...might help.
Thanks for the trip everyone,definately the toughest I've done.Bloody amazing seeing those 37inch tyres doing it easy over the rocks.
Love to have another crack at Strickland some day soon
12 Aug 2017
Alex (AlexRanger)
Hey fellas,

Just put another 20 or so photos into the album.

Cheers
13 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Alex (AlexRanger) wrote: Hey fellas,

Just put another 20 or so photos into the album.

Cheers
Great photos! thanks mate!
13 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Alex (AlexRanger) wrote: Hey fellas,

Just put another 20 or so photos into the album.

Cheers
Great photos! thanks mate!
13 Aug 2017
Trip Leader Kelvin (TREXGQ)
Alex (AlexRanger) wrote: Hey fellas,

Just put another 20 or so photos into the album.

Cheers
Great photos! thanks mate!
13 Aug 2017
Thurstain (Tcm9669) Premium Member
Insane photos!! Thank you.
14 Aug 2017
Join or Sign in to Post a Comment.

TRIP COMPLETED

9 GOING, 1 Interested
12 adults
Trip Date
Mon, 07-Aug-2017

Meeting Point
Healsville Beechworth Bakery
9:00 AM (Mon, 07-Aug-2017)

TRIP FULL

Organiser 4WD TRIP
Kelvin (TREXGQ)

View my trips