Create Trips with TBA Dates and Interest only option

Forum > Feature Suggestions
Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
16 Jun 2017

Hey Kelvin,

Website is looking great lately, however I can see that there are a couple trips ATM that are "Expression of Interest only" and dates TBA. I think this should be a feature which will give the trip leader the option to mark a trip as Expression of Interest only.. this will give the trip leader the below options

1. Dates can be set as TBA, we don't have to select a remote date in September (lol)

2. Join Trip button will be disabled and only Express Interest option is enabled

3. When the trip is planned and ready to go ahead, the dates can be set and whoever expressed interest can have first preference at joining the trip (like 12 hours or 24 hours time window)

This wil give a more realistic "Expression of Interest" as most people don't frequent Forum as much and will give people that signed up first preference.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
16 Jun 2017

Very good suggestion mate. I will add this to our product backlog. 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
16 Jun 2017

As Kelvin said, a great suggestion Thurstain and I think Alex (TEQ80) was the 1st to attempt a trip this way with his upcoming Overnight snow trip. Noticed that Kelvin did the same with his Mt Cole trip asking for 'Express Interest Only', but over 20 have joined.

Playing the 'devils advocate', I see an issue with your 'No.3'. Just not sure how the Trip Leader can police those who expressed interest having 1st preference under the current system...indecision. Do you send a 'PM" to all those who expressed interest advising that trip date is now locked in; meaning initially setting trip as 'private'  for the 1st 12-24 hrs..?  Reason I ask is that so many people express interest in trips, some on almost every trip that is posted, but when a spot becomes available, never seem to take it. Not sure if the interested is; " I'd like to take part in that trip", or "it sounds like an interesting trip, keen to hear how it goes".

Again, a good idea and well done Alex (TEQ80) giving Thurstain the idea of making this a future feature on the site along with Kelvin for giving it the 'green light' and no doubt having him doing the hard work to do the 'computer stuff' and set it up for the site.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
16 Jun 2017

My thinking for number 3 is, once date is confirmed and trip leader marks trip as a "GO".. the system will send out a notification that trip is a GO and only allow users that have expressed interest to join for the first 24 hours.. after that the system can enable the join button for everyone. Doesn't have to be private or anything...

And yes definately great idea from Alex and I think going forward it would really be beneficial for the website.

Taking it a step further we can also split the TRIPS page into two... trips that are a GO or trips that are EOI (can be done via a filter or a sub-page) which will keep the trip list clean and tidy and organised as the website becomes more and more popular and more and more trips being posted.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
16 Jun 2017

And to address your very good point Allan, I actually thought about this a few weeks ago... I reckon a lot of people (me included) sometimes put down their interest just to keep updated and see how it goes and after trip see pictures and feedback... not necessarily to actually join, therefore a couple weeks back thought about an idea for a FOLLOW button... the FOLLOW button will keep you up to date on the trip posts etc, but not list you as actually interested.. giving the trip leader a clearer picture of who is actually keen in joining vs who just want to keep up to date.

But, so far the current system is working OK, probably there are better features that Kelvin should spend time on instead of a follow button haha.. that's why I haven't suggested it yet.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
16 Jun 2017

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! I am going to push hard on launching new features in the coming weeks, hopefully this will be one of them. 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
16 Jun 2017

My thinking for number 3 is, once date is confirmed and trip leader marks trip as a "GO".. the system will send out a notification that trip is a GO and only allow users that have expressed interest to join for the first 24 hours.. af......

Thurstain, sounds very 'doable', ( am sure Kelvin will be able to say yay or nay,), but it still makes it hard for those members who do not have access to email, either via PC or smartphone, 24/7 meaning they are more than likely going to miss out in the majority of cases. It has been mentioned previously, but I still believe the best, and most fair, method is that members must log onto the site to see any newly posted trips & thenjoin/express interest if they wish ; it means an equal playing field for ALL, as again those who do not, or cannot access email 24/7 are at a distinct disadvantage. There have been numerous comments, by members along the line; "Bugger I missed out" etc with the reason possibly being because of no immediate access to email etc.  Not an issue if updates etc are done as per the current system, but again sounding like a broken record..blush, give everyone the opportunity to join a trip by making it a level playing field. Added advantage is by having to log into the site to see new trips, the forum in general may be utilised a little more.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
16 Jun 2017

And to address your very good point Allan, I actually thought about this a few weeks ago... I reckon a lot of people (me included) sometimes put down their interest just to keep updated and see how it goes and after trip see pictures and feedba......

Not a bad idea Thurstain; would then sort out who are guinuinely interested in taking part or just want to be kept updated. I guess most here rely on 'faceache' and phone apps to keep updated rather than us old 'dinosaurs' who just visit the site via our pc's.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
16 Jun 2017

Thurstain, sounds very 'doable', ( am sure Kelvin will be able to say yay or nay,), but it still makes it hard for those members who do not have access to email, either via PC or smartphone, 24/7 meaning they are more than likely going ......

Honestly, I understand that people miss out on trips... But I believe that if people really want to do a trip and explore an area and they miss out on a trip... It should actually entice them to run their own.. Honestly that's pushing me to do Grampians trip, there was a Grampians trip last year and I missed out.. This year I'm leading my own! So, if the demand is there for a trip, people can lead their own... In return 2 trips will be ran and more people can join.

I mean there's pros and cons for everything, it's always up to Kelvin but honestly I feel like lately were getting more trip leaders... Why? Probably because trips fill up quickly! In the last week or 2 there was at least Eli, myself and Greg that are relatively new to trip leading! That's 3 new trip leaders. I'm already planning my second trip (Grampians)

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
19 Jun 2017

There's 50 people interested in the snow trip planned for as soon as we get a dump, I agree, no way of 'policing' any 1st interested = best dressed and I've had to PM 1/2 a dozen folks who still 'joined' as I removed them for the trip for the reasons above, keeping it at 'interested' level for now only.  Be great if we can add this feature eh.