Body lift - Worth it?

Forum > Tech talk, questions
1 2 3 4   Next
Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

Hey guys,
I'm really setting up my navara this year and have lots of plans for it.

Currently got a 2 inch suspension lift in.. Planning on doing a 2 inch body lift. It's a bit of a pain to get them engineered in Victoria but found an engineer willing to certify it as long as I use ALLOY blocks, not HDPE. Now, I'm wondering before I start throwing money, is a body lift worth it? I mean won't really increase diff clearance but I might be able to fit 33s and if not, will it make the car any more capable offroad?

Or would I be better off getting after market UCA which will allow me to have 3 inch suspension lift (instead if my current 2) but probably won't fit 33s. Not sure what's best between 2 sus + 2 body or 3 sus only.

Keep in mind car is IFS with torsions at the front and leaves at the back.

Would really appreciate your feedback guys. I just want it to be a bit more capable. Also got a front locker sitting in the shed, so I'm really working on the truck to get it up to scratch this year.

Thanks

Daniel
Daniel (Rc_ colorado)
27 Mar 2017

Hey mate, iv looked at doing it in my rc colorado, where in vic are you id be interested in talking to the engeneer aswell haha, i think if you going to do it only real advantage is if your going to run 33s,

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

Hey mate, iv looked at doing it in my rc colorado, where in vic are you id be interested in talking to the engeneer aswell haha, i think if you going to do it only real advantage is if your going to run 33s,
Yeah that's what I'm hoping, however I think I got wrong offset rims to run 33s and also I literally just bought new 32in tyres one month ago.

My thinking is body lift = bigger tyres.. But not sure if there's any other advantages.. Or if better going after market uca and get 3 inch suspension instead. Got plans for rock sliders in the future which might help with not hitting body with rocks (another advantage of body lift)

I'm in Western suburbs.

()
27 Mar 2017

question: why?

why do you wan't 33s? why do you want more lift?

I am hearing a lot of questions like this and find most of the time people forget why they were looking into it in the first place and get side tracked.

For example I don't even know how much lift I have in my ute - I told my mechanic what I want to use the ute for (large, heavy canopy) and they put the perfect suspension underneath it.

How often have you been stuck/stopped and another 1/4inch underneath the diff would have kept you going?

Cheers

Andre

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
27 Mar 2017

Hey bud. I'd recommend the aftermarket UCAs and some long travel shocks and slinky springs along with a diff drop to save your CVs. Maximise what you've got rather than make it harder to handle.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

() wrote:

question: why?

why do you wan't 33s? why do you want more lift?

I am hearing a lot of questions like this and find most of the time people forget why they were looking into it in the first place and get side tracked.

Why? Better off-roading capability. My truck is a weekend play truck so not getting sidetracked or anything... Just want to offroad harder haha.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

Hey bud. I'd recommend the aftermarket UCAs and some long travel shocks and slinky springs along with a diff drop to save your CVs. Maximise what you've got rather than make it harder to handle.
Hey Winston, no slinky Springs for me, I got torsions.. It'll go down as much as shocks let it to :)

But definitely diff drop if getting uca.. But with that setup 33s would probably not fit without scrub.. However being an IFS, 1 inch extra suspension thinking might be better than bigger tyres.. Especially getting locker.

I'm torn.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
27 Mar 2017

Hi thurstain

only real reason you would do a body lift is to fit bigger tyres. If that's what you want go for it. Very simple job it you don't want it certified, I have a 1" body lift and should probably done 2" then I could of fitted 33's

dont forget you will need your bbar realigned, can't remember if you have one . On mine there was nothing else needed, radiator and steering joints no problem, you just need to check as you lift

i see a few question why you want 33,s . If you run a torsion bar ifs you would do anything to get more clearance because you don't have much articulation in the front.  modified UCA's will also give you a little more travel in the front to help with that 

If you've have lifted suspension then a diff drop, on and on it goes . You know the obscene amounts I've spent

dennis

Hi mate,

I got a 2inch suspension lift and I'm running 285/75R16. Had to remove the front mud flaps and obviously run different rims as the stock d22 rims arnt wide enough for the bigger tires.

I have thought about getting a body lift but I dont see the purpose of it. Yes it will give you more clearance to fit larger wheels, but it will also raise your snorkle head another 2 inchs (if you going through water that deep then good luck). Is the body lift really worth it? Everyone for their own reason I guess.

()
27 Mar 2017

Why? Better off-roading capability. My truck is a weekend play truck so not getting sidetracked or anything... Just want to offroad harder haha.

Sorry, maybe I was a bit to generic ...

what I meant is what shortcomings are you trying to address?

maybe lockers would help you more than a lift?

"is body lift worth it?" Is a hard question to answer without the background.

Cheers

Andre

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

Hi thurstain

only real reason you would do a body lift is to fit bigger tyres. If that's what you want go for it. Very simple job it you don't want it certified, I have a 1" body lift and should probably done 2" the......

I'd like to get it certified for insurance purposes mostly.. And yeah 2 inch body lift will go in without much dramas for Steering shaft and radiator etc...

Do you have uca and body? Or just body?

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

Hi mate,

I got a 2inch suspension lift and I'm running 285/75R16. Had to remove the front mud flaps and obviously run different rims as the stock d22 rims arnt wide enough for the bigger tires.

I have thought about getting......
I got steelies on my navara.. How much guard chop or scrubbing do you have to fit 285? My brand new 265 scrub with mudflaps (they have very aggressive thread) .. Had to remove Flaps.. Hard to images fitting 285

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

() wrote:

Sorry, maybe I was a bit to generic ...

what I meant is what shortcomings are you trying to address?

maybe lockers would help you more than a lift?

"is body lift worth it?" Is a hard question to answer......

Shortcomings?

Half trips on here require 33s for some reason.

Locker sitting in shed. Need to find time to put in.

I got steelies on my navara.. How much guard chop or scrubbing do you have to fit 285? My brand new 265 scrub with mudflaps (they have very aggressive thread) .. Had to remove Flaps.. Hard to images fitting 285
What off set you running?

I spent a lot of time playing with off-set and found that +30 was the best (cant quite rember if its +30 or +20). I did very little guard chop. Can send you some pics tomorrow or i might post them in this thread.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
27 Mar 2017

I'd like to get it certified for insurance purposes mostly.. And yeah 2 inch body lift will go in without much dramas for Steering shaft and radiator etc...

Do you have uca and body? Or just body?

Sent you a pm

1 2 3 4   Next