Tyre Pressure - Tell us your tyre pressure for offroading

Forum > 4WD Guides & Tips
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
20 Oct 2016

There's often a bit of discussion and contention when airing down at the start of a trip about correct tyre pressure. 

What pressure do you usually run? For which type of terrain? And why?

Also, a little tip - if you're using Staun deflators don't forget to service and calibrate them regularly. One of our members recently deflated with Stauns and hadn't given them a clean and lube in a while - tyre went down to around 6 psi! And he didn't know until the end of the trip several hours later! Lucky but a good reminder for us all to check your gear regularly for good working condition.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
20 Oct 2016

to many variables to have a set number, have seen guys with suzuki's go straight down to 10PSI with hot tyres but a fully loaded Patrol would only need to go down to 20 to achieve the same track, notice the word track NOT bagging, a good 4wd tyre will not bag out to much beacause that exposes the side wall, the weakest part of the tyre to more damage. Tyres are deflated to lengthen the track NOT make them bag out, this is why a higher profile tyre works better than a lower profile. Higher the profile longer the track

For me, a normal day with no real load, 17-18 front 19-20 rear, loaded up when touring 21-24 rear, soft sand 14 front 16 rear, snow 24 front 26 rear

()
20 Oct 2016

I am using Atturo Trail Blade Mud Terrains - 275/65/18 that is the largest legal tyre for the NT Pajero (32").

After testing many pressures on a lot of trips:

Gravel/Dry Dirt : 20 -25 Psi

Damp Mud - Clay - 16 -20 Psi

Very wet Clay:Mud 12 -16 Psi 

Normal Road - 38- 44 Psi

The tyres have a max psi rating of 80 psi dependent on load .

During many trips in the winter - 14PSi was the best .

Alec
Alec (Lelantos)
20 Oct 2016

I usually Start at around 40psi I usually drop around 20% and reduce speed by 20 %  for each type  of terrain , from bitumen to dirt road 32psi , dirt to gravel 26psi ,gravel to mud 20-21 psi, mud to soft sand 16psi. generally i find that if my  tyres are at the correct pressure they should increase by about 4psi after driving for a bit, if they don't  then I don't have the correct pressure set for that terrain.

Andrew
Andrew (Kimmdogg)
21 Oct 2016

Normal driving on Tarmac 32PSI Front 38 Rear

dessert highways 25 front 31 rear

off road forest tracks 20 front 26 rear pending on surface traction 

Unless absolutely necessary I try to stay above 20 PSI at all times.

ive got the Staun valves, but have never used them, I don't trust them.  

Sue
Sue (SueK)
21 Oct 2016

How long is a peice of string? Tyre pressure is very dependant on your vehicle itself, what you are carrying (weight) and or towing, the terrain you are driving on and in some case time of day (hot sand in the mid afternoon sun for instance may require a lower pressure than first thing in the morning when the sand is cooler). smiley

I live on The Great Central Hwy and have over 500kms of dirt/gravel road in any direction before I even set my eyes on tar seal so I tend to do a lot of 'off road' driving. My tyres are generally sitting on 25 psi, after a short period of driving when the types warm up the pressure moves up to around 27-29psi and that seems to suit my car on the gravel roads around here. If I'm driving on the dunes then I'll lower my pressure to around 15 but as low as 8 if I have to. But that's my car and everyone else may find that their car seems to perform better on either a higher or lower pressure. laugh

Greg
Greg (OlGoat)
21 Oct 2016

Always a great topic this one and some great information coming through. Just goes to show how different every vehical &/or condition can be.

()
21 Oct 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Terence Dean (diesel)
21 Oct 2016

() wrote:
Message deleted by the author.

i run 44psi onroad all the trime/24 rough stony but not jajjered road/ 22/ beach but 16 softer sand, i have staun but have given up on them for quicky deflater, to unreliable and im fussy about my pressures muddy ,sticky 18

Eddie
Eddie (Tonka)
21 Oct 2016

0-5psi Offroad.

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
22 Oct 2016

Like Sue said how long is a Peice of string?

well i have a Suzuki Viara that weighs somewhere around 1250Kg Running Maxxis 764's, On road 30 Psi most of the time 18Psi but that could go down as far as 5Psi on rocks/sand.

Like is has been said & will get said around many a campfire what is the best pressure & the answer will always be what feels good..

On this occasion we'll no cost surprise  Fifa 17 Coins 10mil Mule Documents, 2mil income in every Fifa Coins single concern. Consequently it will have 5 champions.

Our TPMS was a great help to learn to know our vehicle with the 2 types of tyres, AT and Muddies.

When we started we took advise from the more experienced members and learnt a lot!!

All in all for us it is a "learning by doing" experience!!