Don't forget to wash your winch rope!

Forum > 4WD Guides & Tips
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
27 Aug 2016

Don't forget to wash your winch rope if you have used it recently. 

Fill up a bucket of soapy water and clean it. Inspect your rope and touch it so you know if there are any sharp object stuck in between the rope string. Some people like to take it off completely and wash it in washing machine. It works too but I prefer to wash it by hand. 

Have fun :) 

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
27 Aug 2016

Very good idea , I do mine regularly in my wives expensive front loader, comes up a treat , the advantage of taking it off your drum is you can hang it out to dry while still being able to drive your 4wd.

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
27 Aug 2016

Like Big Al has said i take mine off the spool hose the bulk off it then into the washing machine once it comes out of the washing machine it's all tangled so thats when it get the visual & feel inspection, It comes up almst like a new rope.

Hi Guys just wanting to know what do you need to do to a steel cable,l would normaly unwind it and wash it with the presure wash but do i need to coat the cable with and rust protetor.

Any advice would be good,or should l change to a dynima rope??

Regards John

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
10 Sep 2016

Hi Guys just wanting to know what do you need to do to a steel cable,l would normaly unwind it and wash it with the presure wash but do i need to coat the cable with and rust protetor.

Any advice would be good,or should l change to a......

You should spray some like CRC/ WD40 or the likes of but dynima rope is easier to work with less recoil if it breaks & no steel splinter.

You should spray some like CRC/ WD40 or the likes of but dynima rope is easier to work with less recoil if it breaks & no steel splinter.

Hi Robert

Thanks for that advice, my steel cable is a bit long in the tooth l my keep it until l have some $ to change it but in the meantime l will spray it with CRC or WD-40.

My see ya on a trip.

Regards John

Hi all i havea question about the rope now how long do you keep your rope, like iv had mine now since 2009 iv used it bit i have washed it a few times its been left off the winch for a while as well. to me it looks good still looks ok.

Chris

Hi all i havea question about the rope now how long do you keep your rope, like iv had mine now since 2009 iv used it bit i have washed it a few times its been left off the winch for a while as well. to me it looks good still looks ok.

Chris

Hi chris
Thanks for the reply l think l may change my cable to a syntetic rope.

Jesse
Jesse (Stirlo)
19 Sep 2016

Always thought winch cables to be the same as Rock Climbing ropes when it comes to washing..? Soap is the worst thing you can put on them/clean them with!

Paul
Paul (furkew)
20 Sep 2016

Always thought winch cables to be the same as Rock Climbing ropes when it comes to washing..? Soap is the worst thing you can put on them/clean them with!

The good Winch cables are are Dyneema now and as far as I know soap shouldnt affect them at all.

Ive had mine about 2-3 years now and had a lot of real work outs and although im too lazy to take it off the spool i always hit it with soap & the geurney, I do however also have a spare cable in the car whenever I go offroad just in case.

I picked my last one up on ebay for less than $80.00 for 30m ( i belive 12mm dyneema) I just followed heaps of auctions and set my price at max $78.00 and eventually won one.  

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
21 Sep 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
21 Sep 2016

Bit of dishwashing detergent - it's mild and helps emulsify any oils that could be stuck to the fibres. 

My prep for grand final weekend started yesterday. 

[img]http://s25.postimg.org/5u0rpykjz/hdr_00111_0.jpg[/img]

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
21 Sep 2016

Bit of dishwashing detergent - it's mild and helps emulsify any oils that co......

Very good... thats a great picture!

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
29 Sep 2016

Very good... thats a great picture!

Thats what I use too , in a bucket and hand wash it 1st before rinsing off.

Should you have Twitter updates and messages, only Fifa 17 Coins comply with people, Fav & retweet via down below the means for you to get! These kind of times we all in EasyFUT are generally then come FIFA 07 income, following brand-new format equates, we'll be Fifa Coins  mostly of the internet sites to deliver FIFA 07 income.