What 4WD Map App do you suggest for iPad.

Forum > Tech talk, questions
1 2 3   Next

Jase (Grenade)
28 Jun 2016

Hey ladies & gents, just wondering what is the best app for not only mapping out a route but also tracking it etc. Any opinion is welcome as I'm seriously trying to decide if $100 for the Hema app is worth it. Please give me your pros & cons of your experiences if possible.

Regards, Jase. 

Hello Jase,

don't know about for iPad but have Hema 7 Navigator GPS in car. I checked on Hema website and to download to phone from them was about $600.00  that is why I ended up getting GPS  maybe prices have come down a bit recently  

Am still a bit of a novice with it off road but have found it very good with tracking set on as - if take a wrong turn then you know how to get back on track. 

Am also thinking of downloading onto phone. Just want to check whether can Bluetooth trips from phone to GPS. 

Have found it very good in relation to campsites and information with photos of campsites.  Would also suggest getting the Hema map book/folder

Good luck with your endeavours.

Kenneth (kenny32)
28 Jun 2016

Hello Jase,

don't know about for iPad but have Hema 7 Navigator GPS in car. I checked on Hema website and to download to phone from them was about $600.00  that is why I ended up getting GPS  maybe prices have come down......

I bought the Hema Explorer app and the Great Desert Tracks maps, what I found was it wouldn't allow me to zoom in past 1x before it switches to the terrain/street maps layer so it was difficult to read/see when sitting in the drivers seat.

I figured I've already given Hema money for the maps so I found a torrent of them and used a free app called PDF Maps, was able to copy the geo referenced maps in .tiff format into my iPad and then used PDF Maps to display. Allows you to zoom right in and easier to read and has basic GPS functions like trip recording.

I'm not sure if the 4WD Hema app has this same problem, but was really annoying that I couldn't turn off the street map layer and I would of just torrent'd it in the first place if I knew it had that limitation as it was a waste of money.

Also another thing they didn't advertised was that yes you can sync recorded trips of other people from the Hema cloud into the app but unfortunatly it doesn't sync or cache the photos associated. It would be amazing to be able to see photos of points of interest that others have shared when they're out touring.

So yeah in summary, the Hema explorer app is garbage and would be intested to know if the 4WD app is better. You can do everything the Hema explorer app does with PDF Maps and WikiCamps for camp sites.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
28 Jun 2016

Highly recommend Mudmap 3 and Hema Explorer app ($29). I use them both, work like a treat.

Hi jase I have hema and mud maps and find mud maps much better

Jase (Grenade)
28 Jun 2016

Thank you so much for all your responses & keep them coming. I'd never heard or been recommended to Mudmaps 3 till now & after taking a look it's the same price as Hema. I'd love for someone running to maybe show me on a trip how it works. Does Mudmaps 3 have our local forests like Mt Dissa, Bunyip, Wombat etc as I've heard Hema is no good for local trips? 

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
28 Jun 2016

Thank you so much for all your responses & keep them coming. I'd never heard or been recommended to Mudmaps 3 till now & after taking a look it's the same price as Hema. I'd love for someone running to maybe show me on a tri......

You can't go wrong with Mudmap 3 mate... but again its not a silver bullet like any apps out there. That's why I spend another $29 on Hema Explorer to use them both... works perfect

Jase (Grenade)
28 Jun 2016

You can't go wrong with Mudmap 3 mate... but again its not a silver bullet like any apps out there. That's why I spend another $29 on Hema Explorer to use them both... works perfect

How do you use them together mate? Mind you I don't understand technology very well at all lol

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
28 Jun 2016

How do you use them together mate? Mind you I don't understand technology very well at all lol

They both run on my ipad so I just switch them (click to open them) as I go...

Daryl
Daryl (hj601983)
28 Jun 2016

I got Mudmap 3 and Vms app on my ipad pro 12'' but i have a garmin streetpilot 7200 with garmin topo on it and it good all so oztopo will have a all for ipad soon.

Townsend (bluepatrol)
28 Jun 2016

Hi Jase,

I use mud maps3 and wiki camps. I use to have a hema gps unit, but was very disappointed when it failed with limited use. One very expensive paper weight..  I wouldn't buy another.  

I do have the basic hema maps for iPad, but it isn't as detailed as the free wikicamps or mudmaps3.  

Hope this helps

Regards

Derek

Andrew
Andrew (my truck)
28 Jun 2016

Go hema there the best for what u want. Even 4wd action use it then it must be good hey. 

Townsend (bluepatrol)
28 Jun 2016

Go hema there the best for what u want. Even 4wd action use it then it must be good hey. 

Haha.  4wd action either get paid to use them or are given free units for product exposure.   It's how they make money on the show.  

Andrew
Andrew (my truck)
28 Jun 2016

They may but I know a lot of guys that use hems and swear by it. Mud map is just as good. 

Shelly
Shelly (Magpie)
28 Jun 2016

Hi Jase,   i have a androide pad and downloaded the hema app on it and it works really well......Being a androide pad the cost was only $29.95,   we also have the Hema6 in the other 4wd and the both are excellent.....The app for the ipad and androide are the same it's just a shame the cost is so different for ipad......

1 2 3   Next