A Beginners Guide to Off-roading

Forum > 4WD Guides & Tips
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
29 Apr 2016

A Beginners Guide to Off-roading (in partner with Motoring.com.au)

Stephen (XDrive)
29 Apr 2016

Four Wheel Drive - High Range should be engaged when driving on gravel roads. There are many reasons why this is beneficial.

I am not aware of any 'Hill Decent Control' that controls gearing,

Brad Jones
Brad Jones (BradZook)
29 Apr 2016

Lol, don't drink your coolant, gees you would have to be desperate.

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
29 Apr 2016

Anyone who finds this article/videos useful definitely needs to attend a course or spend a decent amout of time 4wheeling with experienced drivers... 

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
29 Apr 2016

Anyone who finds this article/videos useful definitely needs to attend a course or spend a decent amout of time 4wheeling with experienced drivers... 

Graeme
Graeme (Patrol01)
05 Jan 2021

Hey Nick, without wanting to sound cocky everybody should watch this video and others like it because we all learn a little more each time.

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
08 Jan 2021

Hey Nick, without wanting to sound cocky everybody should watch this video and others like it because we all learn a little more each time.
I’ll have to disagree with you Graeme. The content of the video is aimed at those who have bought their first 4wd and have no experience off roading. To say that everyone should watch the video is equivalent to advising people, who know how to count, to watch Sesame Street’s Count Dracula to improve their maths.

Graeme
Graeme (Patrol01)
11 Jan 2021

Thanks for your feed back Nick. I think your analogy might be a little off target there. I was not suggesting that members are idiots and need to relearn (although I have seen some out there that should not have a licence let alone a 4x4). What I am saying is that we are always learning and a bit of a refresher is a good thing. I am a certified 4x4 driving instructor and trip leader and I have yet to meet the person that knows everything there is to know about driving in the bush.

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
12 Jan 2021

Thanks for your feed back Nick. I think your analogy might be a little off target there. I was not suggesting that members are idiots and need to relearn (although I have seen some out there that should not have a licence let alone a 4x4). What I am ......
I do appreciate the fact that many people believe they posses more skills than what is actual true and I certainly agree that people can always benefit from new knowledge or a refresher. I personally do not portrait myself as an advanced 4wd, however with 20 years of trail biking and 10 years of 4wd experience I felt that the video was aimed at novices and was misleading to the general members. Please don’t take offence as none was ever intended. Cheers