Daves extreme camper project with independent suspension.

Forum > General Discussion
1 2 3   Next
Dave
Dave (disco)
12 Aug 2015

HI All,

I thought you would like to see my camper trailer project as it folds out over time. I will keep this updated every time I move forward with the project. 

I looked around for a camper and having owned one already realized it had issues, mostly the time it took to setup was too long and too complex for our style of touring. (We like to travel and dont stay in one place for long) I also love offroad and most trailers I looked at are really not designed for off-road even though they say it. So this trailer will be over the top, over engineered, probably too heavy but will go anywhere and last. Plus above all is design for quick setup.

The concept is for a ute style canopy with rooftop tent on top which will later be upgraded to a hard top style roof top tent. It iwll have all that we need for camping/touring.

So we start off with the canopy.Camper Canopy

This canopy is made in Taralgon Vic and is very good quality. It cost $3000. It has a sub frame and internal frame which most of them do not have.

Camper Canopy

Next up I have to create/design the frame. This is quite difficult to traditional trailers that have typical solid axle suspension. This one will have fully independant suspension.

Camper Canopy

Working out where the suspension will mount. Have to make sure that the axle ends up about 3/4 from the front. Note the axle is offset heaps because I want to fit the original Land Rover rims with 33" tires. This way I have the same tires/wheels all around.

Camper Canopy

Laying it out on the floor and squaring it up.

Camper Canopy

Mokup to see how it will all fit together.

Camper Canopy

Tack it all and see how it looks. Again being square is the most important.

Camper Canopy

Creating the shock mounts.

Camper Canopy

Welding into place.

Camper Canopy

The suspension has Toe and Camber adjustment for final fine setting of the wheels.

Camper Canopy

Welded in the shock mounts. I went over the top here but I want to ensure that constant vibrations from corrigated roads do not crack or break off the shock mounts.

Camper Canopy

Note the main center draw bar goes all the way to the suspension mount point. This gives it ultimate strength and keeps it all in one line. (Normally they mount the draw bar under the frame.)

Camper Canopy

Another shot of the shock mounts.

Camper Canopy

And another shot of the moutning

Camper Canopy

Spring retainer in place and extra strength angle iron put through to stop any bowing affect on top of the spring.

Camper Canopy

Camper Canopy

Tacking on the frame to support the canopy and the draws/storage underneath.

Camper Canopy

Filling in the guard areas. Camper CanopyComing together slowly

Test to see if the canopy fits. You can do a 1000 measurements but actually placing it on top is hte best test. Looks good so far.

Camper Canopy

Camper Canopy

Camper Canopy

Camper Canopy

This is the box that will hold a slide out kitchen bench with a cooker and table top work area.

Camper Canopy

Camper Canopy

Started the design on the goose neck or hitch area. This ended up costing me lots of time. It was far more complicated than I first thought, The Discovery has a large back door so the trailer must NOT have anything in the way of the door. My last trailer I could not open the back door with the trailer connected. Here I am working out distances.Camper Canopy

also have to get the height right. One of the issues with having 33" tires and the draw bar the same height all the way through is that I have to drop down at some point. So I have created this double 100x100 drop down section.Camper Canopy

Working out where the jockey wheel will go. There is not much on the market that has such a long winder.Camper Canopy

Incorporating the nuts fixed on the insideplus extra support with the 5mm plate. This makes it a 8mm area for the Tregg mount which also runs right back inside the 100x100 tube.Camper Canopy

closer look before I close it all up.Camper Canopy

an see now how the captive nuts work.Camper Canopy

All welded back upCamper Canopy

Welding on the jockey wheel bracket.Camper Canopy

Test bolt on to see it all works.Camper Canopy

Final clean up of welds etc before paint.

Camper Canopy

Stripped down ready for paint.

Camper Canopy

I decided to use Cold Gal which is a Epoxy single pack zinc paint which is the closest I can get to Hot dip galvanizing. Much cheaper to.Camper Canopy

Closer look at the paint.Camper Canopy

Few more coatsCamper Canopy

And more coatsCamper Canopy

Camper Canopy

More coats on all angles.Camper Canopy

Camper Canopy

Camper Canopy

Camper CanopyThe final coats. In total I used 3lt of paint so it ended up with maybe 10 coats all up.

Next is the top coat. For this I have chosen BlackTop by KBS which is a rock hard flexible top coat designed for machinery and any hard wearing areas like trailers.

Keep tuned for more as I get it done.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
12 Aug 2015

where is the like button!!!

nice work mate, will watch the progress along the way.

one thing I have considered is adding a set of shockers to my camper, it only has leaf springs, tried, proven, reliable and strong and above all easy to fix out bush if something breaks.

Anyway, how did you calculate the correct angle for the shockers as that has to be spot on or they will constantly break at there weakest point

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
12 Aug 2015

Any idea of finished weight?? Looks like it will be very heavy and thats with water, batteries, kitcken bla bla bla

Dave
Dave (disco)
12 Aug 2015

where is the like button!!!

nice work mate, will watch the progress along the way.

one thing I have considered is adding a set of shockers to my camper, it only has leaf springs, tried, proven, reliable and strong and abov......

Hi Matt,

from the research I have done it is not so much the angle but the length of travel. I am using a chain to stop the shock running out of travel. It is the travel that breaks them when they bottom out or extend past the length. The angle is calculated from the ark of the suspension arm, as long as the shock sits in roughly the centre of the arch and at 90deg it should be ok. You can not get them perfect but close enough.

Dave
Dave (disco)
12 Aug 2015

Any idea of finished weight?? Looks like it will be very heavy and thats with water, batteries, kitcken bla bla bla

The frame is heavy but everything else is aluminium, so it should end up good. I am hoping for around 600kg empty.

()
12 Aug 2015

Far Out!... (I think that's what we used to say)

...that's one hell of a trailer!...

Stayin' tuned for sure.....

Steve
Steve (Mudduck)
13 Aug 2015

Looks great mate, good work. I wish I could weld.

Cheers Steve

Looking great. I cant wait to see the finished job, gives me more incling to build my own too.

Kim
Kim (knowles)
13 Aug 2015

IT'S GREAT DAVE BLOODY BRILLIANT CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE

Dave
Dave (disco)
13 Aug 2015

() wrote:

Far Out!... (I think that's what we used to say)

...that's one hell of a trailer!...

Stayin' tuned for sure.....

Hey JR,

Is your profile photo the old wool shed on the cordilo downs track to Birdsville? Amazing place.

Dave

Awesome job Dave.   I'll give you 2 grand for it when you get sick of it and start the next project....    Seriously though mate.   Can't wait to see it in action in the bush. 

()
13 Aug 2015

Hey JR,

Is your profile photo the old wool shed on the cordilo downs track to Birdsville? Amazing place.

Dave

Yep, that's the place..... a great place..... and got to see the burnt out dual cab back up the road fiurther towards the old outstation.  Bit of an out of the way place to get stuck with your vehicle going up in flames.  The ute actually going up in flames is on youtube...its worth watching, and figuring out where the flames originate.....

Dave
Dave (disco)
13 Aug 2015

Awesome job Dave.   I'll give you 2 grand for it when you get sick of it and start the next project....    Seriously though mate.   Can't wait to see it in action in the bush. 

I hope to get it to next duck camp would be good.

Phoebe
Phoebe (Phoebe)
13 Aug 2015

Dear Dave, You are incredible! Can't wait to take this camper trailer out! It's going to be so much more practical, easy to set up, easy to use. I am naturally getting excited to help with the kitchen/storage design. So proud of all your hard work. Love Phoebe xx

I hope to get it to next duck camp would be good.

That will be great mate.   I'm looking forward to it.   

1 2 3   Next