E-LOCKER OR AIR LOCKERS

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Previous   1 2
Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
02 Jul 2015

Okay, so to make this easy, this is the let me share the the letter I recently sent to Harrop Engieneering reagrdingt the front and rear lockers fitter to my 76 series crusier.

In saying that, I still think theyre a good locker. I......

Hi Gavo,

I feel your pain mate. You must take this to fair trading. 

I run 2 air lockers in my GQ and both have been fantastic (front is 9 years now) (rear is 4). but like you, I got them incase I need them and not because I do extreme offroading. Only time I have ever used both at once was on a recent high country trip in which overnight rain made things almost impossible to get out the next morning.

I had a similar issue with a DJi phantom 2. from day 1 i had major problems with it and because I lived in Victoria and purchased it from NSW they thought I would not bother with the problems. cut a long story short mate, after 6 months of issues and eventually a fatality flight, I spoke to fair trading and they told me how to go about getting it resolved. I ended up sending the retailer a letter of demand with all the right words (thanks to fair trading) and within 24 hours i got a full refund including all postage costs.

Never give up mate. if you believe you did nothing wrong, fight for it.

Interesting you said they accused youof being the cause. That alone would be reason enough for me to take it further.

whatever you do, I hope you solve the problem.

Ange

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
08 Jul 2015

Interesting reading that a lot people are having problems. I have a Detroit auto locker in the rear and a trutrac in the front. Once you get used to driving the Detroit on the road they are terrific. Always there, always working and no maintenance . Same with the trutrac

a lot of the stories of auto locker problems are old or cheaper types. I hear that there's times you don't want a locker on and that might concern some but I've never been in that situation

dennis

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
09 Jul 2015

Interesting reading that a lot people are having problems. I have a Detroit auto locker in the rear and a trutrac in the front. Once you get used to driving the Detroit on the road they are terrific. Always there, always working and no maintena......

how do you find the true trac in the front?  does it effect the steering much and does the car want to understeer on really slipery surfaces?

A bit late to ask really, at long last I finally got the spare coin to get mine for the front, now just waiting for the maxi drive axels and CV's, can't wait to get it in and check it out, if it improves the car as much as when I got the rear done it will be near unstopablesmiley

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
09 Jul 2015

Matthew, have I seen you on other forums?

i have free wheeling hubs so it's not used till I lock them and Ime in 4wd . The steering tends to want to centre more than normal , pulling more to centre, but no more heavy than normal . In mud it works almost as well as a locker but as you know when there's no traction , ie wheel in the air it doesn't work. Mine is not a true trutrac but a geared Torsen diff , it's something I bought from a Russian diff builder that was the only thing available for the front of my car

just easier to say trutrac

in normal off road use its almost unnoticeable but in high traction areas like hard gravel it tends lock at full steering lock. 

Very happy with it.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
09 Jul 2015

Yep I visit a few forums, AULRO the Land Rover forum gives me a lot of vehicle specific info and EARTH is a fav and of course here for the trips.

I don't have free wheeling hubs and have read a lot about Landy owners with the true tracs in the front and they have all said the some thing regarding the steering wanting to staighten when cornering but all say its easy to get used to and after a while normal cars just feel wrong.

As far as not locking when a wheel is in the air a little left foot brake fixes that.

Murray (Muzzabainy)
27 Nov 2018

Well, I got an elocker installed on my stock 1hz 75 series 33inch tyres. Very first time i used it on a track it looked like the end of the axel was chewed off and the loose metal stuffed the e locker leaving me stuck with front wheel only on a pretty remote spot. I returned it to Townsville Mechanical Services over 4 months ago and now they are at the stage where they won't return my emails. Waste 2500 bucks. E lockers for me were an absolute nightmare i wouldn't recomend to anyone. No support from Harrop as they will not honor the warranty.

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
28 Nov 2018

Well, I got an elocker installed on my stock 1hz 75 series 33inch tyres. Very first time i used it on a track it looked like the end of the axel was chewed off and the loose metal stuffed the e locker leaving me stuck with front wheel only on a prett......

If it was all installed by qualified tradesmen and you have had it inspected and a report was written up, then it's time to get the legal people involved IF you can afford it. The case would be against the workshop NOT the manufacturer as the workshow would find it painful to arrange legal costs and time in court. Other wise...move on and cut your loosses.  I'm not trying to be nasty here but thats pretty much what needs to be done.

Sorry to hear it happened. I personally am not an elocker fan.

Justin (Toy100)
27 Jan 2019

If it was all installed by qualified tradesmen and you have had it inspected and a report was written up, then it's time to get the legal people involved IF you can afford it. The case would be against the workshop NOT the manufacturer as t......

I fully agree, they cost a fortune to buy so do the research and find someone who has experience installing them. E lockers are highly enginered with minimal moving parts. If they are set up incorrectly, which is very easy to do, the elocker will start eating steel.

I never deal with Opposite Lock, a bunch of used car salesmen. Buy from them by all means if you can get a deal (rarely)but find an excellent gearbox diff repair guru.

I have an IFS 100 series and I had this guy who rebuilds street and race gearboxes and diffs install them. I supplied the parts. I have flogged the driveline and even the IFS is still holding together.

Bottom line, make sure they are set up by someone who knows what they are doing. Not by someone who is challenged by a lego kit!!!

If you were to fit only 1 E-Locker for a GQ patrol would it be front or rear ???

Previous   1 2