Land rover Discovery 2 TD5 auto cooler upgrade

Forum > General Discussion
Dave
Dave (disco)
23 Feb 2015

Thought this would be a good subject for any Disco owners or any auto owner for that matter.

My Discovery 2 TD5 cracked the auto cooler at one of the entry pipes. I could not find an auto cooler for this model without buying it new and as you all know that is expensive. So I bought the V8 cooler which is everywhere on ebay for about $90. It is the same except it is about 80mm longer. This still fits in but you need to make up a smal bracket to secure it in place. I also added an extra cooler on the front with its own cooling fan. It does not normall y need this but because I do so many slow tracks I find the gearbox gets hot because there is not enough airflow through the front.

Here you can see the parts.

The V8 cooler is about 80mm longer than the TD5 cooler, so all I had to do was make up a small bracket to secure it. 

Here is the radiator, intercooler and auto cooler all assembled together ready to go back in.

This is the additional cooler and fan setup that will mount in the front behind the grill. It can be auto controlled (most temp senders for autos will switch on at 180Deg) You can find them on Ebay for abou $30
I bolted the cooler and fan togehter and fixed them to the front behind the grill with rubber mmounts and bolts.

Here it is all re installed back in the Disco

Here is the fan/cooler looking from the frong, it just fits in behind the grill. I had to make up my own brackets to mount it but they are quite simple. They mount to the cros bars at the top and to the bottom with rubber mounts.

This shows the other side, you can see the extra length on this side. It is still ok though and not in the road of anything else.

This is the Launch X431 that will give you temps and engine/gearbox diag info to your IPAD. Great tool. It also allows you to remove error codes and lost more.
It is not the cheapest but works well with the Land Rovers. Now I can monitor my temps etc while on the road.

Hi, nice job on the cooler. Looking to do something similar and want all the bits to hand before I start, can you remember what ID pipe is needed?

Dave
Dave (disco)
24 Oct 2017

Hi, nice job on the cooler. Looking to do something similar and want all the bits to hand before I start, can you remember what ID pipe is needed?

Hi,

Sorry I dont know the ID of the pipe, it was just some I had laying around. I had to make up a small adaptor as the Davis Craig coolers have smaller ID fittings than the land rover has. I just turned up some adaptors in the lathe from brass.

Regards

Dave

Shane
Shane (shanegtr)
31 Mar 2018

Nothing wrong with extra auto trans fluid cooling, however that fan switch @ 180deg is out of control - you'll be cooking your trans fluid rapidly if it ever gets to that sort of temp. Unless thats 180degF then thats more reasonable

Dave
Dave (disco)
03 Apr 2018

Nothing wrong with extra auto trans fluid cooling, however that fan switch @ 180deg is out of control - you'll be cooking your trans fluid rapidly if it ever gets to that sort of temp. Unless thats 180degF then thats more reasonable

Hi, thanks for that. Dont know about the temp but it cuts in and out quite often so it seems to work fine.

Dave

Shane
Shane (shanegtr)
03 Apr 2018

Hi, thanks for that. Dont know about the temp but it cuts in and out quite often so it seems to work fine.

Dave

Must be 180deg F then as thats around 83degC

Sam
Sam (discosam)
23 Dec 2018

Message deleted by the author.

Sam
Sam (discosam)
23 Dec 2018

Hi Dave. Curious to know how your setup has held up 3 years on? I had to do something similar but the hose on the passenger side kept popping off, or the hose was splitting then leaking. Drove me mad

Dave
Dave (disco)
26 Dec 2018

Hi Dave. Curious to know how your setup has held up 3 years on? I had to do something similar but the hose on the passenger side kept popping off, or the hose was splitting then leaking. Drove me mad

Hi Sam,

Yeh it is still going strong. I had to replace one of my lines though as it was doing the same as yours, popping off, they do that when the seal inside is stuffed.

You can get the complete transmission line on eBay, they are not that expensive and easy enough to change over. Once done you simply forget about it.

Regards

Dave

Sam
Sam (discosam)
27 Dec 2018

Hi Sam,

Yeh it is still going strong. I had to replace one of my lines though as it was doing the same as yours, popping off, they do that when the seal inside is stuffed.

You can get the complete transmission line on eBay......

Hi Dave thanks for the update 👍🏼 First i went 250psi hose, then 300psi. Since then i upgraded to 750psi stainless braid and haven't had an issue since.
Cheers
Sam