Big Red Bash - leave melb 28 June 2022

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Fred
Fred (Freddy1)
10 Feb 2022

Not sure how this will work but here goes! 😊 We are going to the Birdsville Big Red Bash, concert (tickets still available) & just thinking another melb group would like to join the 2 of us. You will need to be self dependent, have a capable 4WD with reasonable clearance & fuel range, say 600km sand driving. We are catching up with QLD friends in Birdsville 4/7/22 & drive straight to the bash (early entry pass). We are experienced outback travelers in our 40's and mostly free camp. The plan leave melb 28 June, via Mildura, pick up ghost towns in SA to Marree pub (shower) & next day lake eyre for sunset. After the bash (early exit maybe 5pm 7/7/22) to Birdsville (shower) then next day into the simpson b4 the allowed bash mass exit. Exit simpson via Warburton crossing to coongie lakes, innaminka (shower) & via bores track & onto tiboorburra (shower), then back to melb arrive 16/7/22. If you’re interested, maybe a local trip together b4? It will be a great trip. No biggy, just putting it out there, a 2nd vehicle would be good. Cheers Fred

Keven Gropper (Keven)
13 Feb 2022

Hey Fred,
The bash is amazing! Have you ever been? I sadly can’t make the journey this year but hopefully next year. I have been last 2 yrs (2019&2020 which was postponed to 2021)
Just a few things to consider, with early entry it is critical everyone gets the same day entry as otherwise it will be near impossible for people to come in later and join the camp. I did the Simpson crossing in 2019 and it was amazing. If you can get to Mount dare pub, it’s a well worth trip (hot showers and ice cold beer) about 60 odd clicks before Mount dare you will pass Dalhousie hot springs, get swimming hole. From Dalhousie springs you can head south to Oodnadatta if you wanted too. Too me about from memory 2.5days to get to Mount dare with detours and visiting the lone gum tree. Make sure you get your desert parks pass if you head into the Simpson and chat with the locals at the main servo to get track conditions.
Happy to chat more if you want.
Cheers Kev

Thanks for messaging! I’m actually about to head west across the Simpson in early May. I’m based in Brisbane and free camp and 4wd pretty much any tracks that don’t mandate 35” lifted Patrols :)

I am happy to post how the May crossing goes - we will go QAA - French line to Mt Dare and then loop south back to Innamincka and back to Qld. Would love to go to a big red bash but annual leave committed now for 2022.
Johannes

Thanks for messaging! I’m actually about to head west across the Simpson in early May. I’m based in Brisbane and free camp and 4wd pretty much any tracks that don’t mandate 35” lifted Patrols :)

I am happy to post how the May crossing goes - we will go QAA - French line to Mt Dare and then loop south back to Innamincka and back to Qld. Would love to go to a big red bash but annual leave committed now for 2022.
Johannes

Hi Fred we are actually in Qld and can't make the trip Pete is having knee surgery - we have used this platform before for a Cape York trip and made friends for life - good luck with it and hope you have a fabulous time - take care and stay safe ❤️

Todd Cloutt (Tackle)
14 Feb 2022

Thx Fred
I appreciate the thought and will take a second trip into consideration. I do actually live in Brisbane not Melb.
Two thing may be an issue for me we will be there around mid June and I do not agree with the prices they charge now. Which would not be an issue if I decided to go I would just camp outside and not go in.
I will get back to you.