Spit of camping anyone ?

Forum > General Discussion
Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
10 Aug 2021

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2021-08-09/victoria-river-campsites-open-farmers-angered-government/100361002

Matt
Matt (Chewy)
10 Aug 2021

I both fully support the opening & oppose it.
Unfortunately there are to many idiots leaving rubbish, fire's going when they leave, doing burnouts, ripping up the bush.
You just need to watch certain people on YouTube who regularly upload videos to their channel showing their behaviour. For some stupid reason neither Parks Victoria or the police monitor such videos, if they did these people either wouldn't have a vehicle or would have stopped such behaviour.
On the other side are those of us that do the right thing. When I was a kid we were allowed to access many farmers properties to gain access to rivers. By the time I was 25 most of these farmers despite knowing me were locking gates because of idiots. It's only gotten worse.
It is the minority again that are destroying our country our opportunities.
If we can stop the idiots there is no reason we should not be allowed to access certain areas.
Possibly the government (great at throwing $ around eg; doll bludger gets $550 extra for covid) could buy river side land from farmers allowing fencing for the farmers & access for us.
Just my 2 cents worth

Rudi (rudi)
10 Aug 2021

I would have to stand with the farmers, I think we all have seen the mess that the minority have done in the way of tearing up the ground with their vehicles and the rubbish left behind, if you need a sample of this drive up the Morwell river road south of Boolarra to see what the camp sites look like after a long week end.

Wayne (Defender130)
11 Aug 2021

I can see both sides of the argument but if the only argument to keep it locked is the worry about irresponsible campers then we need to deal with the problem of irresponsible campers. Not just at these soon to be opened river front sites, but everywhere.

eg: You must book your campsite (even if it is a free campsite) and pay a deposit which is refundable if the campsite is left in good condition.

And perhaps farmers could get paid to monitor the conditions.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
14 Aug 2021

could you imagine being a farmer and putting up with the, rubbish and crap everywhere, gates left open, environment destroyed. No thanks
Yet another Andrew's labor government balls up