Have you switched to use soft shackles? What's your experience with them?

Forum > Product Review
Previous   1 2

I have tried them and they are too expensive, do not last long, and are unreliable in a serious recovery. Genuine rated shackles are cheap and never fail. They are also no much heavier than sofshackles. A typical 14T soft shackle, when new, and used......
Sorry mate I read that a 14T soft shackle is equal to a 2T steel shackle.... might have to let that marinate a bit!!
I believe your info on soft shackles is extremely outdated or non existent! They are by far the future and the now.
Ill take a softy for a recovery over steel everytime (equivalent ratings) recovery ri gs over pulley blocks and dyneema over cable!

Steve (Flyingrally)
10 Sep 2020

One thing I learnt along time ago, is Internet forums will never change people opinions. Disclaimer: I work for Saber Offroad and have been part of the team that has developed the SaberPRO fiber and the range of soft shackles.For me soft shackles are the way forward and removing as much metal from a recovery scenario as possible is a good thing. I see absolutely no place for bow shackles in a recovery except for the instance where the point of attachment is not suited. However it’s interesting in testing I saw soft shackles exceed their MBS and even deform steel plates when used on recovery pulley blocks. I would rather replace a soft shackle than see a steel shackle kill a mate. But each to their own I’m not here to convince anyone to switch.

Garry Doyle (garryd)
10 Sep 2020

I have used them but have found that when you use them on sharp edged components (rated recovery hooks, snatch blocks etc.) the edge of the metal has the tendency to start cutting through the fibres. I used a soft shackle with the integrated protection sleeve and that cut through first. They are great, light, strong but you must be careful how you use them. I still use the metal shackles but minimise my use as much as possible in my rigging.
Garry

Chris
Chris (dekoning54)
10 Sep 2020

Sorry mate I read that a 14T soft shackle is equal to a 2T steel shackle.... might have to let that marinate a bit!!
I believe your info on soft shackles is extremely outdated or non existent! They are by far the future and the now.
Ill t......
I agree a 14t shackle is equal to a 2t steel

Roger (mrlowlight)
16 Sep 2020

Yes I use soft shackles and find them great, not fiddley and so much safer to use. I have a combination of Carbon Industries and Drifta shackles, both good. I have Ironman recovery points that do have an edge but the soft shackles I use all have a tough sleeve, not problems so far.

Greg
Greg (Greg67)
19 Sep 2020

moving to soft shackels and aluminum winch ring its a question of weight .I have never had a failure but i believe if you keep your gear in good nick and be aware of its limitations you won't get into too much trouble

Previous   1 2