Have you switched to use soft shackles? What's your experience with them?

Forum > Product Review
1 2   Next
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
08 Sep 2020

Soft shackle is a great invention! I want to hear your experience with them. Do you like them? Are they worth the price? Have you switched to them over the traditional D-shackles?

Leave your comment here.

()
08 Sep 2020

Still using both original and soft but like so far

Colin
Colin (Colin)
08 Sep 2020

Well since we make the Aussie made Roadsafe shackles at my work (4x4offroadclinic) its a yes 4 sure.
Safety alone is enough to change but then add on the weight savings.

I don't have any but will add a couple to recovery kit plus a kynetic recovery rope too.

()
08 Sep 2020

Soft shackles are great, but presenting them as a d-shackle replacement is wrong and dangerous!
They have a lot of advantages over steel , and many use cases. It would be great to take a more educational approach and explain what they can be used for and where to stick to steel.

Cheers Andre

Shelly
Shelly (Magpie)
08 Sep 2020

Have both. Soft shackle is to be used with the snatch rope..That way you have all soft ware on the recovery...Soft shackles are also a good way to join to snatch straps together if you need extra length.. If using soft shackles remember you also should use the recovery hitch to suit, otherwise the hitch that’s used for D-shackles has a rough edge and over time would ruin your soft shackle..

Shane
Shane (rvprado)
08 Sep 2020

I have recently brought some but yet to try them out.
I like the safety aspect of them and look forward to trying them but my old trusty steel d shacks will always be on hand

I carry a wide range of recovery gear. 3 different weights of snatch straps, (5000, 8000 & 11000Kg), & 4 rated D shackles.
I use load equalising straps whenever possible, both on recovery vehicle and bogged vehicle.
I have two rated recovery points at both ends of the vehicle, as well as a Hayman Reece drawbar that takes a recovery hitch.
I always seems to be assisting others who have got bogged. I have not felt the need to switch to soft shackles.
If joining more than one strap I use the eye to eye joining method with a separator, so have no need for soft shackles.
I only ever use hardware at either end of a recovery, and always use one or more dampeners.
Performing snatch recoveries sensibly, I have never had any failures of equipment.

I have some in my recovery kit but use D-shackles for my equalizer strap. For anchoring winch blocks I use D-shackle to tree trunk protector and dampeners of course. Joining two snatch straps quickly when you need more reach and one strap is already on the bogged vehicle so you can’t pass the ends through each other seems a good safety measure as it cuts down on weight if there is a failure. Not had to rely on a soft shackle in anger and my front and rear recovery points don’t suit soft shackles either.

I use and will now only use soft shackles. By far a safer and better alternative due to weight elimination to carry full time in the vehicle.
Saber Offroad is where my gear is from as I have seen their testing at 5-7 times the ratings of the component.
What they are doing to innovate and constantly improve is nothing short of impressive and should something be wrong with their product they are the type of guys that will replace no worries and also investigate why it happened.
That pic shared above is a clear reason that there is little info on the proper setup of shackles. the angles the shackle rope will be on under load with that pulley will increase potential for damage to the shackle.

it is revolutionary and by far a safer product to have but we are still early days and more education is needed on the use and benefits of soft shackles.

Ray
Ray (RAYGin)
09 Sep 2020

I use and will now only use soft shackles. By far a safer and better alternative due to weight elimination to carry full time in the vehicle.
Saber Offroad is where my gear is from as I have seen their testing at 5-7 times the ratings of the com......
Still using D shackles, not sure how the soft ones go but from videos I have watch they seem to be very safe

Pexandra (Pexandra)
09 Sep 2020

Soft shackles should not be used where you neef to guarantee safety. Stell shackles are rated and if you use 3.2 or 4.75T shackles they will never fail in normal 4wd applications. Soft shackles are easily damaged and have a limited life. You do not need any shackles to join winch extension straps. Using a soft shackle with snatch straps is playing russian roulette except now you have an unrated soft shackle and an unrated strap. A 4.75 T ratex bow shackle will break at 6x4.75 or 28.5T. This pretty much means that you will tear the front/back off your car - this is not the case with soft shackles. These are damaged by sharp corners e.g. bow shackles, recovery points, chemicals, sunlight, etc. Good device for the comp guys and winching out of flat country bogs but have no place where a break will cause grief. So far this year i have experienced about a dozen soft shackle and rope failures winching logs so plenty of recent experience. Steel shackles never fail.

Soft shackles should not be used where you neef to guarantee safety. Stell shackles are rated and if you use 3.2 or 4.75T shackles they will never fail in normal 4wd applications. Soft shackles are easily damaged and have a limited life. You do not n......
Wowee Pete if that's happening to you ..you are doing something very wrong

Shackles are now overtaking steel shackles in load ratings! They are also being tested 6 x load as are steel- the difference being if damaged yes can break but at least you can see the damage! I'd rather a soft shackle break than a steel shackle

You need the right anchors for soft shackles

Colin
Colin (Colin)
09 Sep 2020

Soft shackles should not be used where you neef to guarantee safety. Stell shackles are rated and if you use 3.2 or 4.75T shackles they will never fail in normal 4wd applications. Soft shackles are easily damaged and have a limited life. You do not n......
Steel shackles fail often ...

Pexandra (Pexandra)
09 Sep 2020

I have tried them and they are too expensive, do not last long, and are unreliable in a serious recovery. Genuine rated shackles are cheap and never fail. They are also no much heavier than sofshackles. A typical 14T soft shackle, when new, and used around a large diameter is about as strong as a 2T rated steel shackle- and no one uses a shackle that weak!

1 2   Next