Snow destinations post Covid restrictions

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations

Wayne (Defender130)
07 Sep 2020

I'm located in regional Vic and currently in stage 3 restrictions. I'm hopeful that in a few weeks I can get out and do some 4WDing and camping (day trip or possibly an overnight camp). I've also been wanting to take the kids out for a day to play in the snow. What's the likelihood of finding somewhere with snow in mid-late Sept or early Oct? Any suggestions on where I might find some snow?

Possibly Mt Matlock or Mt Disappointment may have some snow falls if we have a late cold snap

If your in stage 3 you are allowed day trips so get out an enjoy....will be awhile b4 we can camp me thinks...

Hi Wayne
Great to hear you get a chance to get out and about.
Unfortunately only some freak weather will bring snow that time of year so you will need to go at the drop of a hat. Generally all snow disappears toward end August first week Sept.
Where are you heading from there can still be alot to get around and see anyway.
- Leigh

Jacques
Jacques (Jacquesfarm)
07 Sep 2020

Still snow on Buller today but 20 dg+ In Mansfield for the next few days could melt The snow you can check Around Tomahawk Hut /Mt sterling When you are ready to go
Cheers
JJ

Wayne (Defender130)
07 Sep 2020

If your in stage 3 you are allowed day trips so get out an enjoy....will be awhile b4 we can camp me thinks...
Even under Stage_3_Restrictions there are only four reasons to leave the house. Unfortunately going 4WDing is not one of the reasons.

My region/shire already meet the Roadmap_Step_3 criteria but according to the current Roadmap I can only go 4WDing once the "whole" of regional Vic meets. Hopefully they change the Roadmap so it applies to regions or shires rather the the whole of regional Vic.

Wayne (Defender130)
07 Sep 2020

Hi Wayne
Great to hear you get a chance to get out and about.
Unfortunately only some freak weather will bring snow that time of year so you will need to go at the drop of a hat. Generally all snow disappears toward end August first week S......
I thought snow in mid-late Sept or early Oct was a long shot.
I'm not far Mt Disappointment but figure I'd have to travel to get to somewhere that has snow.
I will be ready to go at the fist sign of a cold snap. Fingers crossed.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
08 Sep 2020

But its fire wood collection time now and you are allowed to collect firewood for heating so you can go 4wding if it is on the way to or from a firewood collection area as approved by parks and there is nothing that the draconian dictatorship can do about it

Garry Doyle (garryd)
08 Sep 2020

My feeling is that the weather over the last two days will have seen the last of the snow at levels you could get to. Track closures are still in force so that means the higher tracks are likely closed. I was up in the Buckland the weekend before the stage 4 lockdown (a month ago) and the tracks south of the Buckland are all closed due to the fires earlier in the year. The tracks to the north were open but no snow at all, in fact you could see it higher up on Mt Hotham. I think it's therefore unlikely there will be snow given that this stage of restrictions will be with us for another few weeks. As others have said, keep an eye on the weather and a significant cold blast will change that but it is unlikely to last long.

Wayne (Defender130)
08 Sep 2020

But its fire wood collection time now and you are allowed to collect firewood for heating so you can go 4wding if it is on the way to or from a firewood collection area as approved by parks and there is nothing that the draconian dictatorship can do about it
Thanks Matt, I forgot firewood season just opened. Just hope the kids are not sick of always going to Mt Disappointment.

Barry (bronlee)
08 Sep 2020

Hello Wayne,
Your chances of finding snow at low elevations this time of the year will be zero, unless an unlikely cold front turns up. Temperatures in Victoria at the higher elevations have been up to 10C. Not conducive for keeping snow on the ground.
Your best chance of finding any snow will be at one the ski resorts. Now, up until the first weekend in October it is mandatory to have chains that will fit the tyres of your vehicle when entering a ski resort. After the first weekend in October chains are not mandatory but advised, in case of ice on the road.
Further, the ski resort which has the best access for snow is Mount Hotham, where the Great Alpine Road provides easy acces via that road. Mount Buller and Falls Creek may have snow on the ground at higher elevations but it will be a long trek uphill to reach it. Mount Hotham is the highest ski resort in Victoria and The Great Alpine Road will give easy access to the summit.
Also, if you are driving a diesel engined vehicle it is good advice to fill up with special alpine diesel at one of the service stations near a ski resort.
Good luck,
Barry.