Matlock loop from Warburton - Saturday 28th Sep

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
29 Sep 2019

A very different trip to my last one up here in  July. No snow, very dry and rocky. Weather was absolutly beautiful! not cold but plenty of sunshine
Just goes to show how different the same tracks can be each time we venture out for a play. 

Our group this time had 8 vehicles ranging from tricked up Jeeps and my Patrol, to fairly basic and standard vehciles more jeeps, 80 series,  rangers and throw in a triton for good measure.

With experience of this convoy ranging from new to experienced we had a good mix a people who were keen and excited for what the day was to bring. 

The usual introductions and chit chat while we waited for everyone to arrive at the meeting point, we then set out to Stockmans Camp where we aired down and went over the basic expectations for the convoy. 

Set of again and began the day in low range hitting Eli Track, Frenchmans to Shortcut #2. They were nice ice breakers for what was coming up. Eli is a climbing track and shortcut is a sharp decent. A trickle of a river crossing which is always unpredictable depending on recent weather. But today was very low. 

Boundary Track was next, Showing all in the convey the "HARD" sections 1 & 2  we arrived at Boundary #3 (top section). We stopped and discussed what was required for each vehicle and I went up the hardest line possible (as i was testing out front locker) Being twin locked is a totally different experience (ive done this unlocked, rear locker only and now twin locked). Once up the top i jumped out and came back down to the rock step where i expected people to get hung up. 

Called up Lachie in the 80 series and he ran out of momentum and came to a halt. a couple more goes and still not getting up, I repositioned him on the track and explained what the plan was, I believe it was more right foot and dont stop. With a smile he was up no doubt a bit of relief as well. 

Tonys Trition walked up like a sunday drive and jumped up the rock still, gotta love a rear diff lock definately helps. Brett in his fairly stock Ranger produced a fantastic drive to get up with no issue at all, very impressive especially for this "Medium section" Well done.

Jay's Cherokee and Dan's Ranger walked up with no issues. Floyd found the right food useful in his JL with stock AT's very good driving.

Matt's Twin locked Wrangler is a BEAST! what a 4wd and this track posed no issue for him. 

Back to the easy tracks and just cruising through the forrest we passed the old NIssan then moved on the the 3 track section where you can choose your own adventure easy medium and hard. We needed to do some tree clearing here to open back up the hard and medium tracks Tony on the chainsaw and everyone else working together to clear the trees we had them open in no time at all. This also gave every one a good oportunity to look over the choices and decide which way to go. 

Brett & Tony jumped up the easy route, Matt went the hard route (and down the hard route, then back up the medium) and everyone else took the medium track. Tony did attempt the medium but kept bottoming out and after a couple of attemped decided to go round. Jay got over the first tree root (dubbed the car stopper) and then got hung up on the second tree round. Jay not too keen on reversing down this steep section opted for a winch recovery. All the recovery gear out and Jay was up and over and a short winch. Good team work everyone. 

next lunch once everyone was was at the top. good chats over lunch a a few laugh over this part of the trip. On the move again making our way up to matlock we decided the main track just was not good enough, so we found some off shoots going up and over the crest of the hills just for some added fun, up to the heli pad for a good photo, then another roocky hill climb to the top of Mt Matlock and the fire tower. 

Back down to the main road and a long drive back to cumberland junction to AIr up and to say our good byes for the day! 

192km covered for the day|
max altitude 1386mtrs
5 hrs 17 mins of driving time

Thanks again for another fun filled adventure with a great group of 4wders!. see you on the next trip.

Fantastic report Nick I loved all the photos well done mate. 

Floyd
Floyd (JL OllllllO)
30 Sep 2019

Nick you planned and lead a great trip and one upped yourself with that entertaining report ... great read. Thanks again for your efforts 👍🏽

Rob (Bessiethebeast)
30 Sep 2019

Nick you planned and lead a great trip and one upped yourself with that entertaining report ... great read. Thanks again for your efforts 👍🏽

Great read, thank you.

Mat
Mat (shiny)
01 Oct 2019

Some fantastic photos Nick, thanks again for leading the trip.. and thanks to everyone who come along. Was a great day, great rigs, and great to meet some new faces.
Looking forward to seeing Floyd with barwork and 35s 😉