Mid Week Meander in the High Country

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Trevor
Trevor (Trevor56)
25 Sep 2019

Tried starting this report a few days ago with some photos. Not sure whats happened to it.

Have uploaded the "Money Shots" to the photo section.

Anyway James, Glenn and myself arrived in Erica early evening on Tuesday and setup camp in the Caravan Park.James and Glenn in their swags me in a cabin. rrrrr the luxury. Had fang at the local with a few beers and retired for the night looking forward to the next day.

After brekky headed off on the tour. Down through Merringtons, took the right track instead of left and did tour of the campground.

After getting back on track headed up Jorgensens then looped back to Donnelley Creek Rd in Toomboon to have a look at the Toombon Mine and Chimney.

Parked at the Toombon Mine and Chimmey

Headed off towards Andersen Campground looking for Comet Spur Track.

We passed then returned to the gate that takes you into the Codes Flat. There are signs stating private property etc. The gate was open but appeared to have chains and locks so it could be locked. After consulting maps etc we ventured in, quietly following the track next to the creek so as not to incurr the wrath of the owners. We then saw a track heading up into the forest and low and behold a DSE sign post indicating it was Comet Spur Track.

We turned onto Eaton Track to have a look at Hanging Rock.

James setting up his drone at Hanging Rock

There is a part of this track that is quite rutted and steep and if it was a bit wetter would have been a even more a challenge to get back up.

From there we headed back through Aberfeldy and onto O'Keefe track and Pluto Link Track. Next was Spud Spur Track which has a steep rocky section. There is a HiLux that had come to grief a couple years ago (from what I can work out viewing youtube clips) resting against a tree.

Driving up the steep section of Spud Spur Track past the hilux

James and myself made it up OK. Glenn had to winch over the the rock steps. 

We then ventured onto Leviathan Track to have a look at the old boiler etc. It amazing how they got this sort of equipment into these places.

Then onto towards Woods Point passing through Comet Flat Reserve. Glenn and James camped here beside the River, me in the salubrious Hotel. Even got a room with its own shower and toilet. The luxury.

Comet Flat Campground

Dinner at the hotel and a few beers and the day was done.

According to my track log we covered approx 90k for the day, so I was a bit out in my estimation of about 60ks

TBC

()
04 Oct 2019

Thanks for the trip report Trevor, sounds like a great trip was had. cheers 

Trevor
Trevor (Trevor56)
04 Oct 2019

Day 2 - Kevington Hotel the Destination

Had a self serve continental brekky at the Woods Point Hotel. The owners don't do cooked breakfasts (bacon and eggs etc) unless they have about 6 or more wanting it.

Still had my weetbix, toast and tea, Suited me fine. Just had to work out how to reset the powerboard as the fridge,toaster,kettle and microwave all ran off the one GPO. Don't want to burn the pub down do we. You just gotta love it.

Off to find James and Glenn at the Comet Flat Reserve.

Back through Woods Point and stopped at the General Store for a coffee and chat to the locals before heading up Dearlove Track the Pheasant Ck Track towards Mt Matlock.

Found some snow/ice in the protected gullys

Stopped at Mt Matlock. It was a bit too windy to fly the drones

Last time I was here it was covered in snow

Headed of down Charles Rd. About halfway down to Woods Pt Rd the track divides. We took the right hand track. Almost got to Woods Point Rd (could see the intersection) to find the track had been closed by pushing trees and soil across it. Pondered the situation discussing how we may get around it. Deciding that doing a three point turn for James a 4 point turn for Glenn and a ten point turn for me it would be quicker and easier to back track and come down the left hand track.

Back along Woods Point Rd and turned up Old Coach Rd. This part of Old Coach Rd upto Webber Spur Tk intersection is narrow and rough in places. Once past the intersection the road is easy going back to Woods Point Rd. Crossed onto  Frenchmans Gap Track and stopped at the heli pad. More drone action.

And looking back To Mt Matlock

Across to Corn Hill track then Gaffenys Creek Rd. The plan was to go down the A1 Track. However this has a locked gate. So continued down Gaffenys Creek Track to Gaffenys Creek of course.

Small Town - Big Hearts is their catch cry.

Onto Knockwood and turned onto Flourbag Track. This was interesting track as I think it mainly exists to maintain the powerline it follows. Some of the power poles have been replaced in recent years but it would have been major task to build the original line many years ago.

Next stop was Bains Bridge which is actually a ford crossing the Goulburn River. There was a bridge many years ago but was accidently burnt down. The Goulburn River had a reasonable current running and James had a driveline knock so decided to take the main road to Jamesion to get the local mechanic have a look. His opinion was the same as Glenn's. Nothing that needed attention straightaway - but. We then did a loop out of Jamesion, Sappers Track and a side diversion to the other side of the ford. Well worth it.

The ford at Bains Bridge. Sorry about the finger in the photo

From here back upto Fergurson Saddle Rd and then back along Jamesion Lookout Track and back onto Sappers and then Jamesion and back to Kevington Hotel.

A few beers and feed and time for sleep.

Glenn and myself in the Kevington. James was the photographer

My room for the night

and campground for James and Glenn

We covered approx 118ks for the day. Again a bit more that the estimated 80 odd ks

Day 3 to come

Trevor
Trevor (Trevor56)
05 Oct 2019

Day 2 - Kevington Hotel the Destination

Had a self serve continental brekky at the Woods Point Hotel. The owners don't do cooked breakfasts (bacon and eggs etc) unless they have about 6 or more wanting it.

Still had my......

Day 3 

Brekky at the Kevy pub was bacon and eggs done by the hotel chef/barman. Enjoyed in the bar area as that was where the fire place is. 

James decided to head home via main roads due to his noisy drive shaft. Glenn had a flat battery so I helped jump start his vehicle, but the battery was going to cause a little concern later in the day.

Glenn and myself then headed off to drive to the summit of Mt Terrible via Pollleti and Mt Terrible Tracks

Almost constant uphill drive.

The Sign and Glenn flying his drone

The view from the door of the hut. Looks straight at Mt Buller.

From there we headed down Newmans Tracks to the Big River camping area then turned onto Dray Track and started climbing again.

Stopped at Mt Duffy for a short break and Glenn sent up the drone again

From there onto Reefton Logging Rd. The track I planned to turn down has been closed so continued onto Big River Rd. Then onto Foley Ck F/L Track stopping at the intersection Fireline No2 for lunch.

Left here heading for Strickland Spur Track. I turned onto Warburton Woods Point Rd changed into H2 and took off. After a few minutes started looking for Glenn in the mirrors. Could not see him. Thought he might be hanging back a bit due to dust. Called on radio, no answer. Pulled over and waited. Where the hell is he. Turned around headed back up the road to where the track came out. No Glenn. He knows the area. Tried radio again, nothing. No Phone reception. First trip as a leader and I have lost someone. Turned back down main road and stopped where another person with a broken down vehicle was and asked if a Jeep had been past. Nothing. Returned to where the track entered the main rd again and it dawned on me maybe the battery had died again. It was only about a K in to where we stopped for lunch. Arrived to find Glenn just finishing swapping his batteries around. His battery had died, he had no radio so he could not call me and me him.

Onto Strickland Spur Track. It is more rocky in sections than last time I was on it. 

Met a chap and his partner driving up it. On their own and they were filming their drive.

See here 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpflXlcmITs

Glenn gets a bit of video time.

Once past the rocky section a clear run down to the main road

According to the trip log covered 146 ks to Kevington to Healsville

Again a bit more that the estimated 90 odd ks

All in a great three days, weather was great and did what I set the trip for.

Thanks to Glenn and James for coming along and those drones are amazing in what they can do.

Cheers Trevor

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
08 Oct 2019

Excellent report & pics Trev; thanks for putting in the effort posting one for all to enjoy....yes

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
08 Oct 2019

Great report and photos.

Good to see Stricland spur is coming back , last time I drove it it was like a highway