Matlock loop from Warburton Sunday 21 Jul

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
22 Jul 2019

Meeting point / time - Warburton Toilet Block 8:00 am 

We all met at the required place with almost everyone there on time. Once all arrived we set out for Stockmans camp to air down and arrange car order. Doubled back a little to Snowy Trk to get to Ely Trk and the low range began, Mud puddles and trees down. But being a sunday all the trees had been pretty much cut back and we could negotiate around them fairly easy. Ely track was a nice easy track to ease people into the day. On too Frenchmans Track essentially a 2wd graded track, but we had a nice small river to cross which was no issue and not very deep (surprising considering recent weather).

We then dropped down to short cut #2, wet muddy but fairly solid base saw no real issues to any of the vehicles. Back onto Frenchmans trk to get us to the next track which was Boundary Trk.

We Skipped going up the guts (section 1 and section 2) but we did stop so everyone could see how steep, rocky and rutted they were. Marc told us that himself and Kelvin (trip the previous weekend) had driven these sections. We continued along the bypass tracks till Section 3 of boundry (top section) where we stopped and had a look, after talking to everyone we decided to give it a crack and add some excitement to the trip. All vehicles made it up with no issues and everyone enjoyed the challenge of the slippery rocks and step ups. I had done this in the past on previous trips and this trip for me was the 1st time leading. The top of Boundry Trk we had some traffic to pass and get an update about where they came from and what lay in front of us.

On to Corn Hill Trk another easy track we get to the end of and you had 3 choices easy med and hard. Everyone had a look and Id explained the challenge of each choice. Some where umming and arrring aboiut where to go others wanted to wait and see each vehicle. So off I set up the medium track walked it with ease (playing around with the rear diff lock) made the small rock step look easy.

Next up Danny decided to follow up the medium track. Hit the rock step and came to a complete stop (maybe little but can stop vehicles), back down for another crack and again stopped. More berries a lot of smoke and still no go, on the reverse back down he slipped off the track and couldnt get back on. 1st winch of the day. 

With Danny  now back on the track he decided the easy track was the option for him. Boris, Marc, and Colin Followed up the easy section and Steve walked up the Medium track with ease. We decided to stop for lunch at the top. 

We had a little snow fall at lunch which excited the kids (big and small) being 1000 mtrs up it was looking promising for when we arrived at Mt Matlock. Back onto Boundry trk for another wet, rocky climb 1/2 way up and ive kicked sideways lost all momentum and stopped. Called for everyone to begin backing down and I had no traction and had to come back down. another attempted saw the same thing kick sideways off a rockstep and stopped. Calling for a winch setting up and begining Marc and Steve come over the CB saying my front wheels are not turning. Turns out I fell victim to the notorious auto hub of Nissan disengaging. locked the Hubs in manually, We continued to winch to a flat section which then I easily drove the rest of the track and rock steps (Lesson learnt, Dont rely on the Auto Hubs, I will now manually lock them each trip). Now Boris was next (pretty stock Prado, no winch and 1st trip with 4wdtrip) was a little worried but everyone reassured him of what my issue was and how he should approach the section of track. Boris advised his Heart rate was up after making it to the top with no issues as did all other vehicles.

Following the main track to Mt Matlock this was graded and currently being logged, no real challenge and simple driving. Turned off to the Mt Matlock Fire tower track, disappointing to see it is now 50 tracks wide and torn up, Very rutty and muddy. Made it to the top parked up and played in the snow for a while. Colin had seen a fair bit of rubbish and cleaned up (WELL DONE!) even tho it wasnt ours, great to see!. After Mt Matlock we continued back down to Warby woods point road and returned to Cumberland Junction to Air up. Finnished at 4:30PM.

Thank you to everyone who attended. It was a great day out which our family really enjoyed. As a 1st time trip leader I hope everyone enjoyed themselves and felt safe. I look forward to running more trips in the future and hope to go out with you all again! 

Thank you!!! 

Jono
Jono (Varangian)
22 Jul 2019

Nice mate thanks for the report. 

()
22 Jul 2019

Thanks for the report and pics,always a nice trip is that one.cheers

Rob (Bessiethebeast)
22 Jul 2019

Great report, the pics are fantastic, looks like everyone had fun and got their 4wd's dirty.

Rob 

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
22 Jul 2019

Gr8 report and good pics thanks for going to the trouble of writing it up too.

Lots of good tracks to explore in that areađź‘Ť

Pauly
Pauly (Dagy)
22 Jul 2019

Well done, great trip report and photos. Great thing about being leader, " in the summer no dust" :-)

()
23 Jul 2019

Nice write up Nick. Are you sure you don’t work for a magazine .