Hilux Twin Transfer Case conversion.

Forum > Tech talk, questions
1 2   Next
Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
28 Jun 2019

Hey Guys, doing up an old LN106 2.8 diesel for the tighter more technical tracks. She's no powerhouse and not chasing high HP out of it in any way.

Already got twin e-locked axles the next step is a twin transfer case running 2.28 reduction in the front transfer and 4.70 in the rear, behind a R150F transmission.

Its been done a zillion times according to Dr. YouTube and I have most of the bits - 3 spare transfer cases, the 4.70 gears and a modified forward shift transfer case lever -  all I'm waiitng on is the the dual case adaptor and R gearbox to RF1A transfer case adaptor plus a forward shift to top shift conversion for the rear case.

Anyone done this in the outereast area of Melbourne that can point out any pitfalls before I find out the hard way.....

200+ to 1 low - low range should be 'interesting'

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
02 Jul 2019

You would probably be better off asking on a dedicated Lux forum for tech info.

How is the old bus going? It will be able to climb walls when its donesmiley

Looking forward to getting out and doing some test runs with you, we can put the old girls to the test

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
03 Jul 2019

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
03 Jul 2019

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
02 Oct 2019

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
23 Oct 2019

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
24 Oct 2019

All I can see is my quoted section and not your reply, I assume the lux is coming along nicely

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
28 Oct 2019

Yeah, I dunno whats not working.

Anyway, front crawler box is done and attached to the R151 transmission via adaptor (and bigger stronger input shaft) and I'm just stripping the rear tcase now for a full bearing and gasket change plus grind the housing to accomodate the larger gears.  Twin tcase adaptor is already on the back of the front crwal case so getting there !!!

Wont be in by Barkly River tho I'll do that on current tcase.

Cheers.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
28 Oct 2019

Getting there !! looking forward to Barkly

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
30 Oct 2019

I've just go to wire up the lockers and install some new steering parts that 'finally' arrived yesty and she's BRJT (Barkly River Jeep Track) ready !

33's are on so should be all set by then yee hah

Getting stuck into the rear transfer case now - put new bearings and the bigger 4.70 gear on the output shaft last night all going to plan. Still aways to go including grinding the case for clearance of the 4.70 countershaft gear but I've started.....  what could go wrong !

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
14 Jan 2020

Message deleted by the author.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
14 Jan 2020

Consultant engineer onboarded so mods will be covered legally, car will be mod plated and legally registered with VicRoads with the twin transfer cases :-)

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
05 Oct 2020

Just in case anyone's reading this the conversion is done and getting signed off by my engineer this month with appropriate mod plate.
Actual rebuilding of the transfer case(s) was fairly straightforward including clearancing (?) of the rear case for the bigger gears with a grinder new driveshafts and crossmember, new hole in the floor for extra gearlevers and it drives great. Never know it was there no extra backlash clunks or whines and 225:1 in low low is awesome for crawling. Can go through the gears 1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th in less than a car length / walking pace by then.

Richard (Rick Jensen)
26 Apr 2021

Hi Alex. Just wondering how the wagon is going on the 33 inch tyres when in standard gearing without the 4.70 transfer case engaged. I have the same wagon with 31 inch tyres and find it a little under powered as it is. My understanding is that these 2.8 diesel non turbo models have 4.30 ratio diffs. Did you change your diff ratio's or does it go ok with the standard gearing and 33's.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
27 Apr 2021

Hi Alex. Just wondering how the wagon is going on the 33 inch tyres when in standard gearing without the 4.70 transfer case engaged. I have the same wagon with 31 inch tyres and find it a little under powered as it is. My understanding is that these ......
Hi, yes, std on 2.8 n/a is 4.33. I axle swapped to a pair of axles out of a petrol with 4.88's so road gearing is not effected by 33's. Speedo is correct within 1 or 2 kph with the 4.88's os its a win-win. Best thing is I paid $800 for the 4.88 axles and sold my 4.33's for $1,100. Literally undid the brake lines, and u bolts and rolled the old axles out, then rolled the 4.88 in... too easy !
Still underpowered but I don't mind. At this stage mechanical simplicity beats the need for a turbo :-)

1 2   Next