Hilux Twin Transfer Case conversion.

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Previous   1 2

Richard (Rick Jensen)
08 Oct 2021

Hi, yes, std on 2.8 n/a is 4.33. I axle swapped to a pair of axles out of a petrol with 4.88's so road gearing is not effected by 33's. Speedo is correct within 1 or 2 kph with the 4.88's os its a win-win. Best thing is I paid $800 for the 4.88 ......
Hi Alex. Lockdown...zzzzzzz. Can't wait to get out. Only good thing about it is giving me time to do some work on my vehicle. I would say you were lucky getting the parts you have. What brand of gears did you get, did you have to buy new with the adapter plate or were you lucky enough to find some second hand ones.
Can I ask who your engineer was to sign off on your 33" tyres. I am looking at putting 33" on mine but one engineer I spoke to said he would not sign it off on anything bigger than the 50mm larger as per vic roads specs which means sticking with 31". I thought it was a bit stupid. If you can suggest an engineer to contact it would be appreciated. Hope to see you out there soon. Rick.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
13 Oct 2021

PM sent.
But yes I purchased everything new over time as $$$ allowed it was 2 years before I had it all buttoned up !

()
14 Oct 2021

PM sent.
But yes I purchased everything new over time as $$$ allowed it was 2 years before I had it all buttoned up !
Hi Alex (TEQ-80), I have only just joined this forum after stumbling across it when googling for information about Hilux dual transfer cases. I am currently trying to source an adapter for the dual case and am getting the run around from Marlin Crawler. I was wondering where you sourced your dual case adapter from? Also, my plan for the Hilux is a V6 conversion, dual case with twin stick conversion running 33" tyres. I'm going to need to get an engineer to sign off on this and was wondering who you used for your sign off ? I'm located in Melbourne South East so I need a Vic Roads approved engineer. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Cheers
Dave

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
18 Oct 2021

Hi David you're best bet is to jump on the VicRoads web page and get the list of VASS engineers and speak to them to find one that 'talks your language'.
Everyone's truck and needs are different. If you're near Silvan area and want to have a look at a finished install let me know,
I really just watched everything on youtube, took a deep breath and gave it a go. Its actually not that hard the kits come with great instrucktions very easy to follow just a long-winded 200-step process sort of thing. I did buy a 2nd hand press to help in bearing install and remove but any shop could do that for you or you can use a BFH, cheers.

()
18 Oct 2021

Hi David you're best bet is to jump on the VicRoads web page and get the list of VASS engineers and speak to them to find one that 'talks your language'.
Everyone's truck and needs are different. If you're near Silvan area and want to have a lo......
Thanks for the reply mate. I have a dual case adapter and 4.7 gear set on order with Marlin now. I'm told about 10 week delivery time due to the adapter being out of stock. This should give me plenty of time to sort out an engineer and read through the instructions and watch youtube videos. I also need to work out which car I'm putting it all into as I picked up dual cab 1984 with 253 and 5 speed on the weekend. I also have a 1984 Xtra Cab with Commodore V6 and auto. I'm thinking the Xtra cab as the v6 has more power and better fuel economy than the 253.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
19 Oct 2021

() wrote:
Thanks for the reply mate. I have a dual case adapter and 4.7 gear set on order with Marlin now. I'm told about 10 week delivery time due to the adapter being out of stock. This should give me plenty of time to sort out an engineer and read through t......
Sounds like a plan. Commy V6's have lots of toque down low, moreso than a 253.

This was one of the better, albeit older install videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPYDkeTf-zk

Richard (Rick Jensen)
18 May 2022

Hi Alex. Just wondering if you had to do a lane change and brake test with your 33" tyres to get your truck engineered. I still have 31" tyres but want to put on 33"s. I can find no information on how a ln106 handles a lane change test with 33"s which is why I am asking how you got on. I am still trying to get my vehicle engineered and so far only found 1 person who is willing but who is extremely busy so it could be a while. Bit annoying when so many trips on this site require minimum 33"s and 2" lift. Looks like you are turning your truck into bit of a beast. I have been running Nulon Diesel Guard from Supercheap in my truck, and it just keeps running better and better since using it. So good that after getting my springs done, when the guy took it for a drive he said...I thought you had a turbo, it runs so good. I am also looking at trying Evans waterless coolant in the radiator. Interesting stuff but expensive.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
20 May 2022

I'm 1/2 way through a 1KZ conversion at the moment and have/had my engineer on board before I touched a thing. All I can suggest is keep trying I don't share my engineer details in case it ends up in a barney of 'but you did it for him' type thing - I'm on a good wicket and sticking to it as they say !

Richard (Rick Jensen)
20 May 2022

Hi Alex. I am not into trying to manipulate people. One way would be to suggest maybe 3 or 4 engineers to try that way there is no finger pointing but I'm not too concerned if it doesn't happen. I have found an engineer who will do it but what year this will happen I do not know because he says he is extremely busy. He also said I would need to do a lane change test and brake test which is why I asked if you had done one of these tests and how you had gotten on seeing as these Hilux's nick name is roll lux. With a nick name like that you can understand my concern. I have just bought a full set of 31" Yokohama Goo3"s because I needed tyres. I would have preferred to have had the vehicle tested with 33"s but it has not happened. I am looking forward to seeing how the old girl goes with the new tyres.

Previous   1 2