1 2   Next
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
05 Jun 2019

The trip commenced on Friday night when we all met at the Licola Caravan Park where we had the 'bunkhouse' for 2 nights. It was equipped with a number of bunks and kitchen facilites meaning we didnt have to take portable stoves, cooking utensils etc. Added bonus was having a pot belly inside that kept us all warm on both nights. Two of the group, Matt (Outrage) & Alex decided they preferred to camp rather than enjoy the snoring & farting of us in the bunkhouse...wink. (Pics are thanks to Alex)

The Bunkhouse.

Matt & Alex's campsite.

Saturday morning we were all up bright & early and after airing down, we were on our way to our 1st track of the day, Black Soil Gully Tk, some 45 mins from Licola. Alex had decide to leave the 'pisslux', I mean Hilux back at camp and jumped in with Pauly in the Prado.

Black Soil had been recently graded, like all the tracks we drove on the day, as a result of the recent bushfires. What was once a fairly challenging track was now a easy run down to Macalister River Tk. WE arrived at our 1st river crossing not expecting much water, but were pleasantly surprised by the height of the Macalister with 1 or 2 crossings having water 'bonnet height'.

After completing the 5 odd river crossing, we then turned onto Butcher Country Tk. Whilst still steep in places, the recent grading meant no issues for anyone on both Butcher Country & Butcher Country Link Tks.

The climb up Dingo Hill was again fairly uneventful and as we arrived at the top, we started to see some snow.

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
06 Jun 2019

Was this the weekend just gone? Would of just missed you as I was campinging in the caladonia 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
07 Jun 2019

Was this the weekend just gone? Would of just missed you as I was campinging in the caladonia 

Yes it was Antony

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
07 Jun 2019

Message deleted by the author.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
07 Jun 2019

A bit of video footage of 1st part of trip.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
07 Jun 2019

Turning onto Tamboritha Rd, we starting seeing more snow.  As I passed B2 Tk, noticed nobody had driven down and the call came from a few to head down it.

Discomatt was now leading and we decided to continue down, but came across a huge tree across the track, so turned around to continue on the original route; glad we did....smiley.

Continuing past Arbuckle Junction, the snow was getting deeper & deeper and we found a good spot at Snowy Plains to get some pics of the cars.

Most of the group decided to have a 'bit of a play' before making our way up Howitt Rd towards Caledonia River Tk.

Unfortunately the 'trip leader' didnt check his gps closely and headed down East Caledonia Tk instead of Caledonia River Tk which lost us a good 45 minutes...blush. Eventually, we arrived at the correct track and make our way back to Licola. The sun was now setting, so it was going to be dark before we got back to camp.

It had been a long day and after a meal & a few drinks, everyone was in bed early tonight.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
08 Jun 2019

Top report as always Allan, great photos !!!

Thanks

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
08 Jun 2019

Top report as always Allan, great photos !!!

Thanks

Thanks Matt, still got some more video footage and pics to post. All of the above pics are courtesy of Alex. Will put up some of mine.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
08 Jun 2019

A few of my pics; (didnt take many).

Where we had lunch on Dingo Hill Tk.

All the 'crew'.

The boys 'having a play'...wink

Hopefully will have a bit more video footage & pics up in the next few days.

Anthony
Anthony (Digger1982)
08 Jun 2019

Well done Allan great trip report and photos, thanks again for planning another fantastic trip cannot wait for the next one! 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
08 Jun 2019

Some video footage of the drive in the snow.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
09 Jun 2019

Great write up Allan keep it comingđź‘Ť

Looks fantastic Al and Alex as usual looking at the track conditions my sensitive  under carrage areas may have handled them except the butcher. I am so glad you all had a fantastic trip. I hope Pauly behaved himself. 

Will catch up soon guys.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
14 Jun 2019

Was a leisurely packup on Sunday morning after everyone had a decent nights sleep. The plan was to leave Licola and head up Burgoynes Tk then make our way to Deep Ck 4 & 1, then into Walhalla and head home. We convinced Alex to join us for the Burgoyne Tk section due to its recent grading, so he would not have any issues with lack of clearance etc.

We headed west on Burgoynes towards the Macalister River crossing. Whilst the track was still very easy, their were sections where it seemed it wouldnt be too long before it started to get a little tricky again. We all arrived at the river crossing and again, was deeper than when we were there some 6 weeks earlier.

Alex.

We then continued up the rest of Burgoynes; again nothing hard but  nowhere near as smooth as our previous visit.

Brenton & Pauly near the top of Burgoynes.

More to come.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
14 Jun 2019

Was a leisurely packup on Sunday morning after everyone had a decent nights sleep. The plan was to leave Licola and head up Burgoynes Tk then make our way to Deep Ck 4 & 1, then into Walhalla and head home. We convinced Alex to join us for ......

Go the mighty Hilux :-)

1 2   Next