TJM Pro Lockers?

Forum > Tech talk, questions
1 2   Next
Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
08 Nov 2018

Hi Guys,

I have been wrecking my brain the last few months about Lockers for my Patrol. After doing heaps of research (and I mean heaps) between elockers, ARB, TJM and auto (mechanical) lockers.. I am settling on the TJM Pro Lockers.

They are by far the most expensive ones out there, but they seem to be the best design. My thought process is below

• They are air activated, so unlike elockers, they do not disengage when you roll back on a climb (especially my car is manual)
  • Their design does not compress the whole diff and blow up seals (unlike ARB)
  • Read a few negative reviews about the ARB new design lockers (which are 3 piece design I think and weaker than the old design)
  • They have life time warranty unlike ARB 5 year warranty and elockers 2 year warranty

However, they cost a serious pile of cash ($1k more expensive than ARB which includes the ARB big compressor that can pump up the tyres, TJM one can only activate lockers)... so want to know if anyone on here has the TJM and agree with what I said above and would like their honest review on the matter. I don't want to do this twice. Want it done once, and right.

Thanks.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
08 Nov 2018

I have an arb front ( old style)  and a tjm in the rear. Ive had the front out 2 or 3 times to replace seals since I put the pro locker in (5yrs ago.) The tjm has been a very good unit, if I had to replace the front it would be with another prolocker.  

I got the tjm from USA,  got it delivered cheaper than what I could buy it here, the funny thing is it came in a box marked tjm superstore Geebung Qld...

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
08 Nov 2018

Thanks for the feedback. So the arb does stuff up the seals? And the tjm it's been good for 5 years?

If you add up the labour of fixing seals 3 times.. That probably makes up the $1k difference in lockers.

I'd like to source them cheaper, however I want tjm to supply and install the locker for full warranty and no excuses.

What compressor do you have to run them?

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
08 Nov 2018

Seals are $6 , labour is me, just a messy job. 

I run an arb compressor

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
09 Nov 2018

Haha, Patrol has enough maintenance items - last thing I want is to add another one doing the seals regularly.

I might just go Pro Lockers - see how they go. I learned the hard way since I been offroading - sometimes I try to save a buck and it bites me in the ass usually.. as I endup re-doing it.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
09 Nov 2018

I wonder if TJM would supply and install an ARB compressor yes

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
11 Nov 2018

Install the the compressor yourself then have them run the lines etc to it, all the same really, 

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
12 Nov 2018

I've had ARB's for nearly 30 years in 2 4WD's so long term ownership.  Never had a problem.

But I drive with my head and not the right foot.  You can break anything if you use the skinny pedal instead of your brain sometimes :-)

That said, I've gone Pro-Lockers in the FJ73MWB. Just got to get it on the road.  I paid $1750 each installed although I pulled the centres and had sold pinion spacers fitted at the same time.  Yes its a big investment but onece you've had them (lockers) you wont go bush without' em. 

Have a look at he youtube review by AllOfroad. Put me off e-lockers 100%........

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
12 Nov 2018

I think they have different design for different vehicles and some vehicles seem to be more prone to issues... It's not about the skinny pedal mostly.. it's about everything else such as seals, leaks and some even break them somehow.

I have just booked them in for next week. It's a ig chunk of money but reckon once this is done, the Patrol will be yes

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
12 Nov 2018

Not much difference in design per se.

They all come out of a very limited amount of castings, the difference is in the machining of the blanks obviously. 

I always change my axle oil regularly and have never had a problem with leaks and thats most of the ARB issues.  Go the TJM's I've already got 'em so hope it was the tight choice too.

Ray
Ray (Ray)
13 Nov 2018

I don't understand this concern about the fact that the eLocker unlocks for about a quarter turn when reversing. Since when were lockers needed for reversing in the first place? If you drive properly, that is never going to be an issue, even if the tyre has to do a quarter turn to lock again going forward. However, if you always drive like a bull at a gate, then you're going to encounter other problems or breakages along the way. Simplicity is always better than complexity and air lockers introduce complexity.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
13 Nov 2018

It's not the fact that elockers unlock when reversing.. It's the fact that they are unlocked still when you drive forward.. If your in a sketchy situation that's not ideal.

Also that's not the only thing I mentioned. The 2 years warranty (basically minimum requirement by law) does not give me confidence.. And they are even more expensive than ARB.

Ray
Ray (Ray)
13 Nov 2018

In all of my 40 odd years of 4WDriving, locker and not, I've never found myself in a situation where a quarter turn of a tyre makes such a difference. In any sort of conditions, that quarter turn happens before you know it. Lockers are meant to be used for slow negotiation of obstacles, not flying at them.

A warranty is only as good as the paper it's written on. And I would never buy an air leaker again.

I've only seen one instance (a video) where the user complains about that quarter turn and I suspect the problem is really between the steering wheel and seat, not the locker.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
13 Nov 2018

I'm sure its not a problem -  I just hate the idea of the axle free-spinning and then stoppping with a solid load.  If you're giving it the berries and it unlocks with a small roll back and you re-apply berries the shock load gives me the shudders.  But I dont care, I dont have 'em :-)

Ray
Ray (Ray)
13 Nov 2018

If you're giving it the berries and it unlocks with a small roll back and you re-apply berries the shock load gives me the shudders.

That's exactly what you shouldn't be doing, espcially when rolling backwards. All I've ever heard (apart from that one video) are positive reports about the eLocker. If you're going up a hill with lockers and you have to flog it mercilessly, then something isn't right and you're likely to get into more trouble than without lockers.

And I just wanted to add, if the TJM lockers are $1000 ea more expensive, wouldn't that $1000 be better put towards something else to improve the capability of the 4WD? Are these lockers $1000 better given how often lockers are generally used?

1 2   Next