Do you have/want an LC 76 wagon with the benefits of a Ute?

Forum > General Discussion
Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
07 Nov 2018

Hi all,

I am looking at customising my Landcruiser 76 wagon by customising the rear.

What do I mean by that?

You might be thinking: "Yeah, so what? What's the big deal? I have already customised by wagon with drawers and storage, etc"

So let me explain:

1.I have two young kids so an LC79 single cab was out of the question when shopping for a new 4wd when I decided to upgrade my Prado (due to the lack of power with the 4 cylinder engine)

2.A dual cab LC79 didn't appeal due to the additional cost and the fact that I don't like the extra length and overhang behind the rear axle (same applies to all dual cab utes)

3.I realised that my ideal 4wd would actually be a wagon with the rear cargo area modified to be as functional as a ute canopy

4.I am looking to convert the rear by converting the rear to act as a ute canopy whereby the rear doors are not longer used (either sealed closed or removed and replaced with a custom rear) and the side panels/windows are converted to "gull wing" openings as found on ute canopies

5.Advantages of such a modification include: optimal use of the rear cargo area, retaining the shorter wheel base of wagon (compared to dual cab ute) & lower kerb weight (in theory) compared to a custom ute canopy

The purpose of this discussion is to ascertain the level of interest in such a modification to determine if I go it alone or whether there is an opportunity for crowd funding to assist with the engineering process.

As you may or may not know, an LC76 is cheaper to buy than an LC79 dual cab, from my experience the cost difference can be in excess of $20k - $25k on the second hand market. As long as you're not obsessed with having the additional space which an LC79 tray can accomodate I beliece this modification will cost less than the ute when including the initial purchase price of an LC76.

I hope this summary clearly articulates the vision and purpose of the modification and look forward to your responses, interest & feedback.

Cheers,

Nick

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
08 Nov 2018

Hi mate,

I think what you might be looking for is a dual cab chop for your LC76 - It is VERY common on Patrols and usually costs about $10k engineered drive in drive out. The body of the car is part of the structual integrity and it keeps it all together.. if you were to cut the sides into a gull wing, that structural integrity is now GONE.. and it will endup with a weak flap of metal. That will never be engineered. Also putting the rear as a gull wing... will not actually increase any storage space inside. It will give you better access.. but it will not give you additional space.

Google Dual Cab Patrol for ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udo1TK_LxUE

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
12 Nov 2018

Crowd funding for 4WD mods ??   I wish.....

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
12 Nov 2018

Hi mate,

I think what you might be looking for is a dual cab chop for your LC76 - It is VERY common on Patrols and usually costs about $10k engineered drive in drive out. The body of the car is part of the structual integrity and it ......

Hi Thurstain,

You are correct in saying that the mod will not increase the storage space however it will make the available space more accessible especially from the view point of being able to utilise the area as a kitchen  for example.

I realise that the process isnt as simple as cutting the panels and replacing with gull wing sides however it would be possible with the appropriate re-inforcements. As you've mentioned, wagon to ute conversions are reasonably common however I would prefer to maintain the appearance of a wagon and do not require the additional space (the more space you have the more junk you take along ;) ).

I appreciate your feedback and I look forward to any other comments.

Cheers

Nick 

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
12 Nov 2018

Crowd funding for 4WD mods ??   I wish.....

Hi Alex,

Haha. yes I can understand your scepticism.

The crowd sourcing idea isn't a means for others to fund the mod to my vehicle, althought I certainly wouldn't complain if that was the case.

FIrst of all my post was simply a means of gauging interest to understand if others had thought of doing such a thing and secondly, if there was enough interest the crowd funding would enable the interested parties to participate in the "blueprint". The blueprint would then be used by each participant to proceed with their mod at their own expense ( minus the design and planning costs which would already be covered by the fund). The same would apply to me...

Thanks for taking the time to respond even though you chose to go down the comdedic path ;)

Cheers

Nick

()
15 Nov 2018

Maybe organise a BBQ fundraiser for your 1st world crisis. Lol

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
15 Nov 2018

() wrote:

Maybe organise a BBQ fundraiser for your 1st world crisis. Lol

Looks like The forum should be called 4wdComedian based on half the respondents so far

😉

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
15 Nov 2018

I’ve seriously contemplated the gulling windows but wanted to look at all options prior to making the 2k investment.

thanks for posting the link to your rig. Well done, very neat.

i’ve been looking at the Drifta drawers and trying to decide between those or aluminium drawers. Have you been happy with the Drifta’s?

cheers

()
15 Nov 2018

Looks like The forum should be called 4wdComedian based on half the respondents so far

😉

Lol👍. Overlands gull windows look the goods , access sides and still the back.

()
15 Nov 2018

Just a thought, you could go the gull windows way,  but instead of using glass use steel sheet so you could design a fold down small kitchen hinged of the gull plate(frame).

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
15 Nov 2018

() wrote:

Just a thought, you could go the gull windows way,  but instead of using glass use steel sheet so you could design a fold down small kitchen hinged of the gull plate(frame).

That would be ideal however in theory (vicroads regulations) replacing the glass with non see through panels renders the vehicle unroadworthy.

in any case using glass isn’t a show stopper.

It’s looking like the gulwings are the best option after all.

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
15 Nov 2018

Another question...

any reason for going with the South African gullwings instead of the OZ Emu Wings?

cheers

(Rlhydn_overland)
15 Nov 2018

Another question...

any reason for going with the South African gullwings instead of the OZ Emu Wings?

cheers

We wanted the big country ones the most but settled for the front runners as the BC wings don't fit with our roof rack. The emu wings are just ugly in my eyes as they don't cover the rear enough so you get left with big ugly gaps where the rear windows wrap around. Plus we would have lost a lot of internal space with how emu wing do their hinges.

Can not speak highly enough about everything we;ve bought from drifta and every interaction we have had with them.

https://rlhydnoverland.com/everything-in-its-place-a-place-for-everything-part-iii/