It could happen to your 4WD! What would you do?

Forum > 4WD Guides & Tips
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
22 Sep 2018

A few learning from this incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afpnkCOsMFU&t=1305s

Things to carry

1. Fire blanket, fire extinguisher
  2. Shovel
  3. Emergency becon (e.g. SPOT Gen 3)
  4. Plenty of water
  5. Don't carry jerry cans inside your car
  6. Emergency blanket / Things you can sleep on for a night
  7. Dry / high energey food
  8. and more.... 

Things to consider

1. Don't go alone!... join a trip or post a trip
  2. At least tell someone where you are going and Check In 
  3. Prepare a emergency pack/bag (you can just take it and carry with you easily) 

What else you could learn from this? 

()
22 Sep 2018

Hi Kelvin , 

was it an electrical short that caused the fire ? Or dry long grass trapped near or on the catalytic converters. 

To prevent electrical fire - always ensure quick blow fuses are installed at rear junction and front.

Fortunately the owner of the vehicle wasn’t hurt and he seemed to have kept the fire from spreading to the dry bush which is a testament to his efforts. 

I think that he made a mistake when he started the trip. Hi was driving a Jeep. Ha Ha Ha.  OK. Over the years I have seen a few vehicle fires in the bush. Some have been caused by either driving or parking over long dry grass. This man was driving a track with long grass in the middle. Although difficult he should have driven with his exhaust as much as possible over the low section of track. He recognised that he had a fire but instead of grabbing the extinguisher first, he opened the bonnet allowing more air to the fire, which wasted valuable seconds. Other mistakes such as driving alone etc. could be excused as he was driving a relatively safe track and not rock hopping or swamp bashing.

I only watcched up until the fire so do not know how he got out from where he was.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
22 Sep 2018

I think that he made a mistake when he started the trip. Hi was driving a Jeep. Ha Ha Ha.  OK. Over the years I have seen a few vehicle fires in the bush. Some have been caused by either driving or parking over long dry grass. This man was......

Couldn't happen to a Toyota could it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0uxswzxYOc

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
22 Sep 2018

marshmallows....

Luke
Luke (Hedgehog)
22 Sep 2018

there was a problem (now fixed) on earlier models where the trans could leak atf fluid onto the exhaust. was rare and fixed almost 10 years ago, beyond that, alll vehicles can catch fire. rangers were doing it most recently. just type "ford ranger catches fire" or any make, and you'll get a dozen videos. i always have a fire extinguisher for engine/electical. and a good pare of walking boots :P

Kris
Kris (AusTac)
22 Sep 2018

I'd do exactly what he did, watch the cu*t burn 😂 thats what insurance is for

Eric
Eric (4x4xEric)
26 Jul 2020

I'd do exactly what he did, watch the cu*t burn 😂 thats what insurance is for
careful what you say. if your vehicle catches fire and an insurance investigator finds this post... your insurance will be very heavily questioned. but realistically most people would attempt to put the fire out.