Let's talk dirty, tell us your Portable Toilet experience

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
11 Jan 2015

Hi everyone,

It's about time to get a portable toilet for my Misses so that she can come out with me for bush camping. There are so many portable toilets out there, if you don't mind, please share your experience and any advice/suggestions you may have.

Let's talk dirty. 

Cheers guys

Kelvin

()
11 Jan 2015

Shovel to dig hole, pole to stick in ground to hold on to (in the absence of tree), toilet paper, hand wash...done

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
11 Jan 2015

() wrote:

Shovel to dig hole, pole to stick in ground to hold on to (in the absence of tree), toilet paper, hand wash...done

Haha, know that, done that...now we move on to take the business more seriously and take it to the next level.....

unfortunately it is a big ask for her to do it this way..... so portable toilet is the way to go.... 

Scott
Scott (Stonekillerz)
11 Jan 2015

www.bumperdumper.com

sure you could make something like this.

it would be no good for my ex girlfriend. the tow bar is only rated to 3 tonne

Tony (TATravels)
11 Jan 2015

We are recent converts to portable toilets. We have a porta potty on our slide on. While it is mainly used by my partner it is great when we are in remotes areas for both of us. A real boon for night time wees for women. 

We have used the shovel method for decades and while happy enough with it, cannot ignore that even when we do its properly - deep enough hole, get rid of paper by fire or take it out, there is a lot of litter out there... and nutrients. Some of he spots we camp in, even in most remote areas, have a pretty decent number of visitors. A recent rip to central Australia really brought this litter home to us with some stops - especially popular free roadside stops, quite revolting, with the great Australian white streamer flying from every bit of grass and low tree. Many of the holes were dug up by wild dogs or dingos.

We have use the Porta Potty brand, with the Aldi version of Nappy San as chemicals. Do have to seek out dump points but lasts a week or more between empties. I am looking at biodegradable chemicals in case we have to (safely) bury a load on a longer trip away from such conveniences.

No nasty accidents so far, although we had a near miss on a very rough, steep track... Have modified the securing system for the toilet to make this less likely in future. I highly recommend consideration of a portable toilet for remote travel...

Evan
Evan (Fluffy)
12 Jan 2015

Get a toilet seat on a milk crate. Inside a shower tent. After digging a deep enough hole. Thats what we do.

John C
John C (232)
12 Jan 2015

We purchased a thetford 365 about two years ago and it has been one of our best investments.  It makes camping for the wife and little one a lot more comfortable.  We also baought one of those pop up shower tents to go over it.  We also use ALDI version of nappy san as it has a higher % of the active ingredient.  Remember if you use the chemicals first you cant go back to napisan for some reason.

I'm not going to claim it as my idea and haven't tried it out, but I saw a post online.    A 20 litre bucket, heavy duty bin liner, or 2 or 3 depending on the curry the night before, slice a groove in one of those kids pool noodles from the $2dollar shop.   That does duty as the seat and holds the bin liner in place.   From there I see two options, you dig a hole and put the bucket over it with a hole in the bottom and the bin liner keeps your bucket sides clean for transport home or you cart all the waste home in the bucket if you are somewhere you want to remain pristine, put the snap on lid back on the bucket and Voila.   Personally I'm happy with a shovel and a dunny roll, but I t seems like a good idea. 

James
James (HighKMPatrol)
12 Jan 2015

I have the bush dunny by kookaburra RRP $80. Galvanised, folds down flat. Dig a deep hole and backfill with a shovel load after every use to keep the smell down. Works for us. No chemicals or driving around with 20L of septic waste. However some locations make digging the hole difficult ie where it's rocky. Most places we go we see evidence of lazy oxygen thieves who don't dig a hole or completely trash the sites with toilet paper, smashed bottles etc etc. and it's normally beside a picturesque river one step off the walking track. These are the people who get us locked out of these areas. Sorry there's my rant. However happy to recommend the Bush Dunny by Kookaburra.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
12 Jan 2015

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and info. It's very much appreciated! 

Kelvin

Don Clark
Don Clark (kmdc)
12 Jan 2015

Hi Kevin,

Like John C I purchsded a Tetford 365 porta potti for a recent camping trip to the Bowering Reservior near Tumit. This was mainly for my wife & son's partner as the site we choose had no drop toilets etc. With a shower tent in place it worked a treat for the girls. Yes you do eventually have to find a dump point to empty it but it's amazing how many of these are around. The one we used was in batlow, 20ks from our fantastic camp site. The other option if no dump point is nearby is to dig a very deep hole and bury it. The blokes used a Thunder Box (made in central Vic) which was okay for us. the unit is placed over a very deep hole and if you use their bag liners it's a very good clean option. As with most of these types of units you must did a very deep hole to ensure when you pack up the 'deposits' are buried sufficiently deep enough to deter the wild life digging it up.

Trust this helps mate Regards, kmdc.

David
David (Golddigger)
15 Jan 2015

I have porta pot that I use. never had issue dumping or burring it.

I don't like any of the toilets that use bin liners or plastic shopping bags as they often don't degrade or last years.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
18 Jan 2015

Once again, thank you all for your great advice and suggestions and sharing your portable toilet experience :) smiley

Cheers

Kelvin

Matthew (Matthew_HW)
30 Oct 2017

I am using Porta Potti Curve Portable Toilet and definitely it is one of the best portable toilet on the market . The Thetford Curve came recommended by a friend. I have now run this Thetford Curve through it's paces and found it has performed flawlessly! My family includes multiple females who are very sensitive when it comes to this area. They LOVE this unit! They will now actually consider going camping more because the "toilet problem" is no longer a problem. They almost feel like they are back home.

Ashley
Ashley (Freax)
14 Jan 2018

So did you end up buying one??

I use a Blue plastic barrel cut to the height of a toilet with a toilet seat from bunnings mounted on top, put that over a hole inside a pop up toilet tent

1 2   Next