Wombat/Lerderderg in the Wet

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations

Mark (markfowl)
26 May 2018

I want to rack your brains. Possibly looking at a weekend away at Lerderderg Gorge/Wombat State Forest to 4wd sometime before the seasonal closures happen.

The area is notorious for bog holes. Happy to do some muddy tracks but don't want to spend the days recovering vehicles. Infact I don't even want to get out the recovery gear.

Do you have suggestions for 'Medium' tracks in wet conditions out there. Alternatively, I'll take suggestions for tracks to stay well away from?

Probably been 10 years since I've been out there - and that was in the dry.

Let me know your thoughts. Keen to fill a full day, and perhaps a bit more.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
27 May 2018

Bog holes are mainly over the Gisborne side. If you go around the Blackwood/ Trentham/daylesford area there are alot of easy/med tracks to explore with mines and gold digging sites aplenty. I tend to go in via Spargo creek area these days when I want an easy weekend to camp and cruise. Back of Dales Creek is ok to explore, several mines on the other side of the road too. Head north above lefrankies and there's lots of diggings and relics to be found.

cheers.

Mark (markfowl)
27 May 2018

Bog holes are mainly over the Gisborne side. If you go around the Blackwood/ Trentham/daylesford area there are alot of easy/med tracks to explore with mines and gold digging sites aplenty. I tend to go in via Spargo creek area these days when ......

Cheers. I was thinking of using the area between McKenzies Flat, Firth Park and Blackwood. That area OK? Any tracks in that area I should be staying away from?

Mark.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
29 May 2018

Havent been in that area for a while but behind Firth Park was always a good place to sink your car

cheers

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
31 May 2018

I will probably run a Wombat trip in Winter when it's wet. Just keep an eye out on the tracks section, not sure about tracks yet but will definately do a run sometime.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
31 May 2018

Also if you want medium tracks but not too hard, around spargo creek is usually good.

Mark (markfowl)
31 May 2018

I will probably run a Wombat trip in Winter when it's wet. Just keep an eye out on the tracks section, not sure about tracks yet but will definately do a run sometime.

Will do. Cheers

Mark (markfowl)
10 Jun 2018

For those playing along at home, I headed out to Wombat/Lerderderg for a run yesterday. Very last minute and not much of a plan, so I didn't create a trip on here.

Obriens rd.

R) onto Amblers

R) onto Chettle

R) onto XL

L) onto Obriens Rd

L) onto Diggers

R) onto Firth Park

R) onto Radtcliff

L) onto Bluegum Link

Considered Nuggerty, but wanted to get home to the Otherside of Melbourne in good time so have it a miss

L) onto Seereys

Find the black top

Head for home.

All up a good day out. Mainly easy with half a dozen harder section due to bogs, rocky ascents and descents.