Marysville - Stockmans reward +

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations

G'day All,

New on this forum and haven't quite sorted how to search on here yet.  Looking at an overnighter over queens bday weekend near Marysville, probably based around stockmans reward or similar.

What tracks are recommended in this area...not looking to panel bash, but technical lines and ok challenge is good. Kids in cars, so we arent going silly.  Done Walhalla, woods point and surrounds....just starting to look in this area.

Pretty experienced crew (at least 10+ years each driver) with capable cars minimum 2" etc...

Any information would be great

Cheers

Pete

Kyle
Kyle (Loretta)
30 Apr 2018

Hi Pete

I was up around this area weekend before last and Easter.

Donald’s track is fun and can be technical in the wet. I drove from Mt Terrible to stockman’s and in a day so you could possibly go north west to Mt Terrible (highly recommend spending a night here) then take a south eastloop back to stockmans.

it was dry when I went so nothing lsd diffs couldn’t handle but in wet could get hairy - wide tracks, plenty to winch off!

Let us know how you go!

Adrian
Adrian (Touareg)
30 Apr 2018

I agree with Kyle,  Donald Trk is a good fun choice.   If your crew want a more serious challenge then you can try Mt. Terrible Trk (south of Hut)  (the northern side is easy/fun) 

Cheers 

Adrian

Cheers....can you get to Mt Terrible and back to stockmans in a day?...or would it be a day stand alone track?

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
01 May 2018

We did Warburton-Big River-Mt Terrible via Ryans (the long way) and home in a day easypeasy.

Great info, it's really helping shape the trip.....going really specific now.  Anyone done the tracks north of big river road?

Gum top rd

Rough hill rd

Ridge rd

Dray tk

What's worth a drive in that area? (that isn't a 2wd/awd road)

Thanks again

Pete

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
02 May 2018

Great info, it's really helping shape the trip.....going really specific now.  Anyone done the tracks north of big river road?

Gum top rd

Rough hill rd

Ridge rd

Dray tk

What's ......

All the good tracks are on the South side of Big River rd.

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
03 May 2018

If you want to do a good short loop. Try this.
Frenchman's Spur left No 1 Shortcut right Frenchman's Creek left
Monument Creek left Boundary Tk back down to Big River rd.

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
03 May 2018

If you want to do a good short loop. Try this.
Frenchman's Spur left No 1 Shortcut right Frenchman's Creek left
Monument Creek left Boundary Tk back down to Big River rd.
If you want a longer loop do the same as above but turn right at the top of Boundary track (at the wrecked) 4X4 into Corn Hill.
Follow to end turn left onto Ryan's and keep going until you reach MT Terrible. Just past there keep left and head down Newman's and Dane Spur Tk back to Big River rd :)

Cheers Rick

That sounds like some pretty solid plans...going to look at these loops and linking through to Donald Tk and Mt Terrible.

trick is going to be not "too" much driving that the child in car hates it and doesn't want to do again in the future....to date I've seemed to find the balance...coz he's come back  ha ha ha

Just last minute checking on, what capablilty of both skill and vehicle is recommended for Strickland Spur?  eg Min 2" lift, Good AT's and reasonable experience 4x4?

I'm comfortable, but want to be sure onthe rest of cars in my group prior to even contemplating track on way out Sunday...

Cheers

Pete

Adrian
Adrian (Touareg)
05 Jun 2018

I've never done Strickland Spur but looking at my topography maps seems like a nice climb, i will have to give it a go soon!   Hopefully someone on here can give us a heads-up about the current conditions.  

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
06 Jun 2018

Did stricland last year in the rain / light snow. There is also a trip going out there on Jun 17th - Dave said lots of fallen trees on tracks when he was there last weekend so take a chainsaw.

This is my video from last year. DEFINATELY requires good skilled drivers, lockers would be very helpful and MINIMUM 2 inch lift and 32s, thats an absolute minimum unless you want cars to drag their gearboxes, transfer case and diffs in the tray on their way out of the track.

Watch first bit, that is strickland spur https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_0obNA3elo

Adrian
Adrian (Touareg)
12 Jun 2018

Hi Guys, 

I went to check out this track over the weekend however it was raining while i was there so i only did half of Strickland Spur until i thought it would be wiser to turn around as i was going solo.  After that i gave Strickland-Link track a go and it was verrrrry slippery in the rain, but i made it without any battle scars so i was happy and ended up in Marysville pub to finish off a great afternoon out :)  You need muddies and horsepower in the rain for this little track. 

I will give the Spur another go next time when its less wet.  

Cheers Adrian,  we didnt quite make strickland...we killed a ranger transmission which resulted in about 3 hrs of winching and towing and cost us the track.

Anyhoo that being said, here is my 2c on the tracks we doddled about on.  Vehicle range was from patrols on 35's, dual cabs on 32's and an older prado on 31 AT's

Big River rd - says it all...it's a well formed 2wd rd

Stockmans reward campsite - Not as big as I was expecting, it held 4 big groups while we were there. Toilets are immaculate. Ground is pretty chewed up and muddy. Tricky for tents. But recommended

Frenchmans Spur track - Easy to medium on the main track. The main track parallels the spurline, there are "horsetrack" straight line alternates that go straight up and over knolls on corners that are fun with a couple of good climbs amongst them. Guessing would be nice views if not foggy

Stuck our nose in boundary tk #2 (it's a short link to two mile) heading north, decided against it.  Steep drop and all orange clay...skating rink if ever I saw one.

Two mile tk from south to North....very steep, reasonable grip, very picturesque in parts with tree ferns shading both sides.  Would be extremely challenging going up and a very technical climb if travelling North to South.

Boundary Track again South to North.  Interesting track.  there is a medium track that winds itself around the ridges and spurs which is OK.  But there is an alternate track that crosses the track and goes straight up the spurline....the straight line is a full on track - very difficult and I would strongly suggest 35's and lockers and winch as minumum.  You can follow the winding version and pick and choose which crossover setion of the hard straight line you wish to tackle, which is what we did

Old Reefton Logging rd - South to North Panel scratcher - bush pin stripe stuff, very narrow in a couple of lower sections. Easy to medium track with solid base and a nice climb at the end

Logging Rd from spot heightMt Duffy - North to South - easy to Medium. reasonably steep 1st low and crawl down safely.  Would be interesting in the wet trying to go up the opposite direction

Foley Ck Fireline - South to North. Slippery clay entry but only about 200m.  Very good climbs and drops along the ridge, I'd rate it as medium.  Cracking climb at the end just before the t junction.

Didnt make Donalds track, ran out of time....next time

Overall I would rate the area as medium if you are sensible, there are clearly alternate hard tracks and lines if that is your thing.  Interestingly no mud, a bit of clay about but primarily shale rock and generally good tracks.  If I think of anything more or any specific questions I'll try to add more.

Appreciate all the advice pre-trip.

Cheers

Bairdy