21/4 - Toolangi - Lets Explore (and possibly get lost)

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Chris
Chris (Milney)
21 Apr 2018

Three cars set out at the start of rocky track at toolangi, the smallest group I’ve been out with through 4wdtrip.

Trip leader Nigel in his new ranger, Trevor in the gq and me in the Triton.

Having been through toolangi a bit over the last year or so I was looking forward to seeing what it looked like dry(ish), some spots have a knack for holding that stink water but all in all it was dry except for the usual suspects.

Starting on rocky, only the GQ tackled the centre line, and having ridden shotgun up the centre last time, it was a good decision not to take the Triton and Ranger through the guts though both had no issues up the chicken track.

Next on the list was Blowhard, typical slop around but the ruts were shallow and going downhill makes things pretty straight forward. Small winch effort for Nigel to avoid a rock but otherwise smooth albeit slippery sailing.

Aiming to do Cockpit next we were greeted by the Pajero club marshalls, kindly informing us the delwp/parks/whoever had just shut Cockpit Track this morning... Though when we whirled around the back end of it, the gate was still open? Not sure what was going on here..

Next up was a loop through the logged Murrundindi Rd and Woodmore Track, with a couple of slippery spots and some views thanks to all the felled trees.

Up to Aeroplane we went, then up Lukes Creek Track which was a bit of fun with some loose rocky sections and small ledges.

Down Lyndall’s, wishing my low range was lower. Bit of fun to be had down here, and glad I didn’t have to cut branches while standing on a bull bar like last time.

Luke’s Creek No1 and Downies Spur, similar to Lyndall’s but not as steep.

Then down Not Much Help Track where I found my ambitions didn’t match my abilities. Not sure exactly what I thought was going to happen, but decided to take the mega cambered corner line rather than the normal person route... it didn’t work, fortunately the sliders and steel canopy held me off the wall mostly. Thanks to Trevor for a quick pull backwards and somewhat away from the wall I left unscathed (pretty much) and took the normal route 

I’ve included a couple of photos of me being silly, I don’t know why my car goes funny angles, I think it’s got one leg longer than the other. 🤣

Thanks for a good day fellas.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
22 Apr 2018

Thanks for the report. Good stuff. Interesting line too!

Jody (Jody2902)
22 Apr 2018

Looks to have been a great day
No real damage everyone home safe
This why ww all own 4wd
Great report

Well looks like you had a fantastic day well done on the pics. No major damage or injuries thats the main thing.

Chris
Chris (Milney)
22 Apr 2018

Thanks for the report. Good stuff. Interesting line too!

By interesting... you mean, the wrong line.

Nigel
Nigel (Nigel)
22 Apr 2018

Hi Chris
I see you have been busy posting a fantastic Trip Report, thanks.

I have been oit shopping for new shoes for the Ranger. I went 285/65/18 Muddies in alloys with more agressive offset. Fitting Tuesday.

Chris
Chris (Milney)
22 Apr 2018

Hi Chris
I see you have been busy posting a fantastic Trip Report, thanks.

I have been oit shopping for new shoes for the Ranger. I went 285/65/18 Muddies in alloys with more agressive offset. Fitting Tuesday.

Good stuff mate, look forward to seeing it in action with bigger boots! Shouldn’t have any clearance issues on those tracks next time.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
22 Apr 2018

By interesting... you mean, the wrong line.

Just being nice... 😂

Videos don't seem to showing up mate.

Jason
Jason (Gossamer)
22 Apr 2018

Some of the tracks were closed due to burning off

Chris
Chris (Milney)
22 Apr 2018

Links should be there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=831td1ZLbXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEvY2pRiwbY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-ocNw4lGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQYqWcd-toY

Trevor
Trevor (Trevor56)
22 Apr 2018

Just being nice... 😂

Videos don't seem to showing up mate.

Winston, just move the rodent over the sentance it will change, then click and off to youtube.

Nigel, thanks for putting up the trip, sometimes last minute ideas work out well, this one did.

Enjoyed it start to finish.

When you get the bigger boots = more fun!

Chris thanks for the videos, tried to explain to my son (Matt86) the challenge on aeroplane track, with the video he now knows what I'm talking about.

Nigel
Nigel (Nigel)
22 Apr 2018

A small group has its advantages, we covered a lot of ground and I found a number of new tracks.

Thanks Chris/Jarod & Trevor for joining, I enjoyed the day and the odd bit of assistance getting the ranger moving on some of the muddier sections.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
22 Apr 2018

Ah yep cheers Chris and Trev for the clues. Wasn't showing as links. Got em. Looks pretty slick.

Chris
Chris (Milney)
22 Apr 2018

Winston, just move the rodent over the sentance it will change, then click and off to youtube.

Nigel, thanks for putting up the trip, sometimes last minute ideas work out well, this one did.

Enjoyed it start to finish.

Only one of us made that line on aeroplane look like a challenge, and it wasn’t you. I still think 37s are cheating.

1 2   Next