Toolangi Easter Sunday

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
02 Apr 2018

The day started with all of us meeting at Yarra Glen, 6 cars in total, 2 Patrols, 1 Prado, 1 Pajero, 1 jeep and 1 Discovery a nice mix of cars and a great bunch of blokes to steer them and the sun shining, this was going to be a great day playing on some of the harder tracks in Toolangi.

The meet and greet was at Yarra Glen, we headed off for the first track of the day, Rocky track.

Anyone who has done rocky knows it can be a real handfull and can bite if you let it, I led the way up having done it numerous times before and let everyone know it was dry, dusty, loose and chewed up but easy dose it and take your time. Got 3/4 of the way up to hear a few cars behind having to change lines, have a second go and then the call noone wants " I have done a tyre" AH CRAP.

Not a lot I could do being at the top now so Anthony/ Nino put his hand to the task of helping Rob in the Prado tie off the car, get the high lift and change a tyre in one of the most challenging spots to do it. Well done guys. Once fixed and with some masterfull spotting and guidance from Allan Rob got to the top and we all took a breath after the first challenge of the day. Well done Rob, not an easy track in a car with no lockers or TC and running 32 inch all terrains.

After some discussion we headed toward Downies and Lukes Creek tracks, they were as expected not to bad but a few interesting spots to keep us on our toes. The top section of Lukes Creek is a real mess with the bypass tracks we used to use now totally chewed out and new bypass tracks cut through, it wont be long before that section is either graded flat with tones of rock thrown in or more likely the case the track closed for good.

We then continued north up Martins track, at the intersection of Kalatha Creek track you have 3 choices, I decided the far left purely because I had no memory of going that way before and on the GPS it looked like a old secondary track going the same direction. Not many cars had been down it and it was looking like a nice option untill we got to another Y option, straight up with BIG rock legdes that even the mighty twin locked jeep running 37's would strggle with OR another steep, side angle norrow rutted slippery and challenging climb. After checking the options and some discussion the choice was made to turn around as I didnt want any cars damaged on my watch and it would have pushed a few well beyond there comfort zone.

Back we went and continued to finish Martins track, down Campsite another nice track and then toward another challenge that would push the comfort zones. Lyndells track, going up.

We all parked ar the bottom and some of use went for a walk to check out conditions and prefered lines. Rob decided to call it a day as it would push him and his Prado well beyond his experiance and he needed to head home for other commitments so no point in upsetting the good lady at home or potentually breaking the car. A wise choice as I respect those who dont feel they need to prove anything and can call it for what it is.

We all headed up Lyndells, the Jeep went first and what can I say, it just walked up with no fuss what ever and Jamie made it look easy, hats off to a relativly new 4wder with little experiance and he drove it like a pro!!

Next one of the Patrols who also did it without to much fuss but had a few goes at getting up a rock ledge that also had a tree that had come down over the track which had wedged itself well off the ground with enough room to drive under it but forcing the left line.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
02 Apr 2018

Then Allan in his Pajero also made it look like a walk in the park but thats not to be unexpected from an well experianced 4wder and a well set up car he knows like the back of his hand.

So it was Ewin and myself to go, Erwin in a Patrol rear locked went first with no issue and me following close behind.

As many know I only run 32's and have no lockers or TC but I do have Truetracs front and rear, not as good as a locker but way better than open diffs, soooo when I tackel hard stuff I have to really get in the zone and focus on nothing but the line, throttle and brake , left foot braking is my best friend. Here I am driving up, over the ledges that are even more chewed out than what they were a few months ago picking my way through the rock maze.

I was doing really well with no banging and crashing, no bouncing and no wheel spin. Happy days, then I heard and felt a bit of a whack, ah bugger the side of the track just kissed the R/H rear quarter, ah well no issue its an old car and its been hit before. Focus Matt your comming up to the rock step the Nino struggled on with his 35's, pick the line, pefect speed, slight brake to stop any wheel spin and up we go. Easy straight up and over when BANG another hit, this time I hear smashing glass, ah F@#*  I forgot about the tree over head and it just scraped the roof and punched through the alpine window and put a nasty crease in the roof. GRRRRR Just as well I know a panel beatercrying

Well thats the price for not paying attention to everything...

To finish off the day we did Aeroplane, Cockpit and Blowhard, all as they normally are, fun slippery challenges that everyone enjoyed with no major events except for catching another group of Land Rovers with a Disco 4 having major electrical issues and numerous faults when playing on some very slippery red clay. There is a reason I have kept my D1 for playing and keeping the D4 for touring and this confirmed my choice as being the right one...

Thanks all for joining the trip and making it a fantastic day out bush.

Photos and maybe some videos to come.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
02 Apr 2018

Sounds like a full on day!! I never been but keen to go check it out someday when I setup my Patrol.

Awesome report and shame about the damage! Good thing you do know a panel beater!

Keen to see videos / pictures. Good effort on the report.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
02 Apr 2018

Great report Matt. Sounds like a good day out for all. Shame about the damage though.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
02 Apr 2018

The damage wasnt to bad, started the repair today. Removed what was left of the window and rubber seal, vacumed all the busted glass out, removed all the interior trims and tail light, straightened out all the dents. Now I just need a replacement glass and make sure it will fit and seal properly. then some filler and a bit of paint and it will be like brand new. Even going to repair some of the other previous biffs while I am at it so the old girl wont be cop bait.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
02 Apr 2018

Nice report Matt, will add some pics & video over the next few days. Great bunch of guys, & Anita, on the trip and all would be more than welcome to join our future trips. Shame about the damage to the Disco but no doubt you will fix it all. Paj is looking a bit worse for wear at the moment; some deep pinstripes and broken exhaust bracket from that big rock on Blowhard. Was surprising how wet parts of Cockpit & Blowhard were considering not a huge amount of rain of late.

PS: Be great if a few more trip leaders posted reports from their trips in this section.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
06 Apr 2018

A few pics from the trip.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
06 Apr 2018

Some video footage of a couple of sections of Rocky Tk. Hopefully it will give those who have never driven it some idea of how narly it can be in places. Footage does not include the 2 hardest sections, the one up the middle or the one to the left at the 1st junction.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
06 Apr 2018

Nice video Allan - looks like a great track to drive.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
08 Apr 2018

Nice video Allan - looks like a great track to drive.

Thanks Thurstain; Rocky is a great tk and changes everytime I drive it.

Below is footage of the Red West Tk, (commonly known as Lyndalls).  Some will find boring, but gives some idea of how difficult it is in places and unfortunately video does not show how steep it is, even at the easier section near the top.

Thanks Thurstain; Rocky is a great tk and changes everytime I drive it.

Below is footage of the Red West Tk, (commonly known as Lyndalls).  Some will find boring, but gives some idea of how difficult it is in places and unfortun......

As usual great videos and pics Al, looks like you all had a great trip. Sorry to hear about your disco damage Disco, but i know you know a good panel beater.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
09 Apr 2018

That looks a bit rough in there. Video definately isn't doing it justice as to me looks like can be done without lockers and those rock steps look mild - but I'm sure it's not as I see it on video.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
09 Apr 2018

Also is that the whole track in the video? Or is there more to it?

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
09 Apr 2018

That looks a bit rough in there. Video definately isn't doing it justice as to me looks like can be done without lockers and those rock steps look mild - but I'm sure it's not as I see it on video.

You could do it without lockers but there are a couple of ledges you'd probably have to drive it pretty hard. It's a pretty challenging track.

Chris
Chris (Milney)
09 Apr 2018

Hey Matt

Just wanted to apologise for not cutting the tree back further on Lyndall’s. Looking at the video it’s still the same tree that was down last 4wdtrip I went up there with.

Had to chop that sucker back while standing on the bull bar of Phil’s patrol (huddsgq)

At at least you fared better than a young fella we met while we were coming down, he was going up and must have given it everything as he almost peeled the roof off his GQ!

Looks like you guys had a good day, never seen toolangi so dry!

1 2   Next