Licola to Walhalla Weekender.

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
26 Mar 2018

As our November HC trip had to finish early due to some vehicle issues, some of the group headed back to complete the Licola to Walhalla section of the trip.  Discomatt, Alex, Gazza & Dutchy all headed up Friday afternoon & camped at Cheynes Bridge.

Outrage & myself arrived at camp about 9.30am the next morning where the guys were letting their tents etc dry out after a little rain they had during the night. We all aired down and just after 10, we made our way to the start of Burgoynes Tk. This is one of the harder tracks in the area and not suitable for a 4wd without some sort of lift and 32" tyres as a minimum. It wasnt long before we arrived at the 1st hard section.

The rocky section of Burgoynes is a great climb and all vehicles arrived at the top without any issues, with Dutchy very happy with his newly installed E Locker. We then made our way down to the crossing of the Macalister River. After heavy rain, this crossing can become impassable, but now it is barely flowing.

Prior to the crossing, we stopped at the little campsite then made our way across.

Aflter the crossing, we made our way down Macalister Gorge to the hut 'Morning Glory' where 2 guys had set up camp in the hut. 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
26 Mar 2018

After a bit of a 'chinwag' with the 2 guys, we were back on our way for the long steep climb up to Black Range Rd. The guys did say 'good luck' as they had come down that way & wouldnt be too keen on going back up as there were a few big rock ledges etc. We all took off looking forward to the climb. Yes, it was steep, a few decent ledges along with a few angles close to the edge of the track, but we all arrived at the top without any major issues. It had taken us just over 2 hours from the beginning to the end of Burgoynes which included the short detour to the hut.

We continued onto Whitestar Tk where we stopped for a short lunch break. It then started to rain, so back in the vehicles making our way to Toomstar Tk. I wasnt sure if we were actually on the track as it did not look familar, but Outrage assured us we were. It wasnt too long before we came to the steep descent and ascent, which again was good fun. The rain was getting heavier now and we were glad we completed this track before it got too wet. Along Jorgensons Tk where small rivers were starting to flow along the track and we discussed what we would do now with the weather turning worse. We headed up Flats Tk which was now getting a bit slippery and Gazza had a crack at the rocky section near the top; no success due to how wet the rocks were now. Down Williamson to the river crossing, now a brown colour then out onto Walhalla Rd where I still wanted to have a look at Low Saddle Tk as I had not done this for over 8 yrs as it was closed for 3-4 yrs.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
26 Mar 2018

Rain was easing now but tracks were still wet. Outrage required a quick winch on Beardmores, as he bottomed out in the ruts, before we made our way down Low Saddle. It was very slippery in places with some parts having no ruts to keep us going in a 'straight line' so most of us had a few 'pucker' moments. In one section Alex slid off the track into a wash out area and Gazza had the 80 not exactly facing the way he wanted to go. We then came to another long steep section and after I walked down a bit, made a call to give it a miss. Again, no ruts in the track and the chances of some, or all, of us sliding into trees was a big possibility. Luckily most of the group had stopped at the top and it was only Gazza & myself who had to back up, which in the end required us both to turn around in a wash out to get back up to the top. We then made our way back to the Walhalla Rd via another slippery section with everyone thankful we had gotten through unscathed.

It was now 'decision time' as to whether we camped somewhere the night or headed home. We had a look at Abefeldy Bridge Campground; was taken but even so wasnt that flash so we wouldnt have stayed there even if empty. We made our way into Walhalla and had a look at the Chinese Gardens. $15 per night per adult was a bit steep but deciding factor was a noisey pump that would have been a total 'pita' going all night. It was then decided we would head home after a quick visit to the Coopers Creek 'carwash'.

As usual, a good day with a great bunch of guys. Pity about the weather causing us to shorten the trip and miss out on some of the planned tracks, but better to be 'safe rather than sorry', but we will head back later in the year when tracks reopen after the seasonal closures.

()
26 Mar 2018

Thanks Allan for the trip report, and the great day on the tracks with a group of great people, thanks guys.đź‘Ť

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
27 Mar 2018

Yep, good fun except for those slippey downhill Nantucket Sleigh Ride bits.

Rather disconcerting "I'm turning right but my truck wants to go left"' oh, hello bush I'm here !

Thanks again Allan for leading us in and out of the wilderness in one piece.  Low Saddle re-run in summer methinks !

As usual Alan great pics and report, I wish I wasn't working last weekend.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
27 Mar 2018

Thanks for the report, great pics

wow , the Macalister is so low

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
28 Mar 2018

Great report as always Allan.

You guys didn't do Bridle this time? That would've been a great challenge with a little bit of rain. We went up it a few weeks ago and it's always good fun.

Low Saddle is on my list too.

Little tip for next time, there's a great little camp site just off Old Depot Rd a few hundred metres from the bridge leading into Walhalla. Not many people seem to camp there.

Matt
Matt (Outrage)
14 Apr 2018

Got around to the video. All from Burgoyne's, camera went flat at the start of Toomstar. Enjoy.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
16 Apr 2018

Nice video again Matt...yes, as usual video does not show how steep Burgoynes is....sad.