Dominator Winch to buy or not to buy?

Forum > General Discussion

Rule (Macblack)
29 Dec 2017

Hi good 4x4 preople,

I have a PB Challenger and am looking at fitting a Dominator winch to my TJM T13 outback bar.

Has anyone here had experience using these winches or another suggestion?

I don't intend to ever use it but would like it for peace of mind.

Thanks

Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
29 Dec 2017

Gday,
Ive got the dominator on my GU. No problems so far used it to recover a truck that came off the track and like you i only have it there just in case. Dont plan on using it every track.

Rule (Macblack)
30 Dec 2017

Gday,
Ive got the dominator on my GU. No problems so far used it to recover a truck that came off the track and like you i only have it there just in case. Dont plan on using it every track.
Thanks for the advice mate, I think I will go the Dominator and spend the spare cash on other goodies.

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
18 Jan 2018

I can’t fault mine.

has worked each time I needed it.

my spool out solenoid plays up a little, but you can always drag it out manually.

i think bang for buck they’re great. Plus they have a comprehensive service video on youtube

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
19 Jan 2018

All winches need to be maintained and checked whether they have been used or not. If you were to simply use the winch off a tree every now and then to ensure it works and if you are handy regrease it as well, it will probably suit your needs.

Electrical connections that haven't been checked for 3yrs are the things that will fail when you need it. Seen it many a time. Basic maintenance to anything is the key. Carbon Winches are meant to be a good unit. 

cheers

Andrew (Gemandandy)
22 May 2018

I have a dominator X 7.2 HP.
I use it a lot for everything from recoveries to removing tree stumps at mums place I've even used it to recover a commodore from down a 6 meter cliff face.
Honestly it's a great winch especially for the price and if you understand how to do multiple line pulls and don't over heat it it should very much satisfy your requirements.
Furthermore I use it to recover myself more often then not hah
Onyas, Andy