Lessons learned - don't drive alone!

Forum > 4WD Guides & Tips
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
09 Aug 2017

Lessons learned. The importance of not driving alone. 

I've preached it plenty of times. But finally learned the importance of the words I was saying - and was truly lucky it didn't end up a lot worse. 

Saturday evening I decided to (stupidly) go for a little bit of a wheel solo. Twin locked. Good tyres. Good clearance. 12,000lb winch. I'll be fine, right?

Wrong. 

I was reversing to get a better run up at a steep climb in deep and slippery mud. Windows and reversing camera were covered in sludge. In the dark I misjudged where I was and my rear right dropped off a log edging and the whole rear end followed, dropping me into a shallow creek, seriously hung up on the sills. I couldn't see how badly I was hung up, and jumped out, running the winch out through thigh deep mud and muck which I fell over in several times trying to get the rope out to a solid tree. 

Drenched, freezing cold with the temperatures at nearly zero, the winch was set, and despite valiant attempts the rope snapped. This was at around midnight. 

I was stranded. Couldn't even find my phone in the dark as it had dropped out of my pocket - I thought into the mud. 

I gave up. Climbed into the back seat, saturated, and tried to sleep till the morning in the hope that in daylight someone would find me. 

Around 9am I was found by another driver heading through the forest. He attempted a snatch but soon realised we needed more pull and went to get more help. 

He returned with another vehicle, then another turned up, then another and another. It ended up requiring 2 winches - one on a double pull - to get me out. 

What if I'd rolled? Had been seriously injured? 

Not worth it. No matter what, please give this story some thought before you think about heading out alone. 

I was lucky. My family were lucky. My friends were lucky. 

It could've been very different.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
09 Aug 2017

If it was an 80 series. drive right out......!  Unlocked......

But same thing happend to me in my less experienced days too. 

FJ40 on 33" muddies, body and suspension lift -BACK IN THE 80's that was a pretty serious set up.  Poking around Wesburn I went down this narrow muddy and steep trail.  Single lane.  Got to near the bottom, which was still 1/2 way down the hill as the track didn't go all the way down, and the track just ends in a pile of silt and crap thats washed down.  Hmmm... this'll be fun. Not a snowballs in hades of reversing, so it was ease into the silt, slip it into 2WD and try to spin around on my own axis while facing mostly down hill.  Well, that ended in tears, my flick turn got me maybe 120degrees around, then I start sliding backwards down the hill and slowly of the edge of the track due to the camber.   Try a few times to self recover - no winch or lockers then, too poor, but every attempt just meant sliding off more into the bush.   Abandon car, trudge all the way back to the highway, hitch a ride to my GF's place and give the mates, who are having an arvo BBQ in Lilydale the bad news 'I need a tow'.

Got out of it late that night unscared but lesson learned.  We all learn from our mistakes lucky when it's only our pride and faith in our trucks that gets bruised !

()
09 Aug 2017

Message deleted by the author.

()
10 Aug 2017

Lucky you...

I go out solo most of the time including stuff like Canning Stock Route, Simpson or technically hard stuff not too far from home.

You need a different approach when going out solo, risk assement and avoidence becomes no 1 priority. For example I never go out in the dark, a lot of things I happily drive when in a group - wouldn't even think about it. And always be prepared to call it quits and turn around.

Ended up in difficult and uncomfortable situations over the years - but never in anything that would have been dangerous. 

"Windows and reversing camera were covered in sludge. In the dark I misjudged where I was" => that is being over confident. I belive being over confident is one of the bigest risks, because you don't realise how it slowly creeps in while your 4x4 skills improve (happens to everyone, no exceptions). Every single stupid situation that I got myself into -> being over confident. The moment I step back and ask myself - how the f did that happen - I find it's simple basics that I took for granted, ignored or just didn't think about.

A simple process to reduce the impact of over confidence is to ask yourself the questions:

- can I go there
- can the car go there
- what's next
- what if we don't make it

This is on of the slides out of my training materials:

1st rule

Would you haven driven in that mud hole after asking yourself "what if I get stuck and can't get myself out there?" - surely your answer would have been "no".

Don't get me wrong - going out in groups is always recommended, but a blanket statement like - don't go out solo - is a bit to simple.

Cheers
Andre

Ray
Ray (Ray)
12 Aug 2017

Alone.

At night.

Middle of Winter.

Steep and slippery track.

What could go wrong?

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
21 Aug 2017

If it was an 80 series. drive right out......!  Unlocked......

If you had a new Discovery you could have electronicaly adjusted the seats to sit back , relax and watch a movie while waiting for rescue :)

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
21 Aug 2017

Ha Ha as if a Disco would get stuck that easily cheeky

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
21 Aug 2017

Sounds like a challenge Matt.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
23 Aug 2017

You know me better than that... Not a challenge at all, you already know what mine does without lockers...

The comment was related to the previous post about a new Disco and being able to sit back and watch a movie and I dont have a new Disco YET but when I do , which is not to far away, it will be a super capable and comfortable touring car not a bush pig so sorry challenge not acceptedwink

Looking forward to getting out with you again though but your trips always fill before I get home from worksad

How is the family?

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
27 Aug 2017

Lol mate, 

You wouldn't be dumb enough to get into that situation in the 1st place blush

The mind boggles wink

Cheers Rick

Winston you where so lucky the car hung onto the log ,glad you are ok.

Regards John

Nathan
Nathan (SIKRUBI)
04 Sep 2017

Next time you wanna go out give us a yell. I'm 10 mins from dissa and actually know some of the guys that pulled your ass out. haha. Very luck though mate. I know that track well and did a similar thing but i was coming down the hill and hit the bank, did a 180 and slid to the bottom coming to rest right where you fell off.

()
05 Jul 2018

Message deleted by the author.